PDA

View Full Version : Chain Home Low at Tobruk

56RAF_phoenix
Nov-27-2016, 11:11
While I wait impatiently for the new release, in reading Straight and level by Air Chief Marshal Sir Kenneth 'Bing' Cross, I note that there was a Chain Home Low at Tobruk.
Apparently, the results were not well communicated with the rest of the air force, but it had the capability to see aircraft taking off at Gazala.

56RAF_phoenix

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-27-2016, 11:36
This was Air Ministry Experimental Station 235 which was in Tobruk during the siege between April and December 1941. It was one of a number of mobile radar units operated by 258 Fighter Wing.

There were 25 RDF stations in Egypt by November 1941.

~S~ :salute:

56RAF_phoenix
Nov-27-2016, 11:52
I should have done some googling before posting! I hadn't realised how much info there now is.

56RAF_phoenix

Mastiff
Nov-28-2016, 15:46
I should have done some googling before posting! I hadn't realised how much info there now is.

56RAF_phoenix

you can find everything in the google now..

what time you wake up, to when was the last time you took a crap..

56RAF_phoenix
Nov-28-2016, 16:56
you can find everything in the google now..

what time you wake up, to when was the last time you took a crap..

Ah, but I delete my cookies, so who knows when they emerge...

56RAF_phoenix

philstyle
Nov-29-2016, 04:31
There were 25 RDF stations in Egypt by November 1941.

Got a link/ map of these by any chance?

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-29-2016, 11:48
Hi phil!

I have not yet found a map for the AMES/Chain Home Low units in North Africa. However, I believe a number of the units were mobile, therefore, a map of locations would not be valid for long. These units were the forerunners of the radar units that were part of 2ATAF in Northern Europe from D Day until the end of the war.

For further reading try the link below:

http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/cor/chapter7.pdf

The National Archives (Kew) is a good place and you need to look at the Air 29 Record Series, Miscellaneous Units which relates to the Operations Record Books (ORB) for individual AMES units. When you get to the Records List each unit has a brief description including some locations. Unfortunately, if you want to read the actual ORB, the records have yet to be digitised and are not downloadable, it means a hard copy and no doubt payment to get it.

I hope this is of some help.

As an aside I participated in my first sortie on SoW 4 on Sunday following a request from my good friend dix. I tagged along with E69_Delivorator and his boys in a Blenheim. I really enjoyed it and hope to have another go soon. Good stuff. I also enjoy your videos a lot. :thumbsup: