PDA

View Full Version : Ju-88 Convoy Attack

Oersted
Nov-01-2012, 19:23
My flight sim vids web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Direct link to movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90UbsjypzI
http://www.flightsimvids.com/Ju-88.Convoy.Attack.500px.jpg

To celebrate that my Youtube Channel just passed Ѕ a million views (woohoo!) I am uploading a new little movie made in Cliffs of Dover. Ju-88's are attacking a convoy in the Channel and I'm coming along to film the mayhem! The flying by ATAG_Chasing_Fear and ATAG_BigTrout is just excellent, as I'm sure you will agree. My flying? - Well, let's not talk about that... :-)

Also, the modelling of bombing is quite astounding in Cliffs of Dover, I think. Skip bombing works very well. And the damage modelling means that some ships go straight down, others stay on the surface for hours burning, some list a little but chug on, etc, etc. Really surprising to see...

Hope you enjoy the vid, comments very welcome!

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-01-2012, 19:34
Yay. Gonna watch now :)

Doc
Nov-01-2012, 21:17
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

III./ZG76_Chasing Fear
Nov-01-2012, 21:34
:thumbsup:

I feel like a celebrity!

I'm going to quit my day job tomorrow!

-Fear

III./ZG76_Keller
Nov-02-2012, 00:26
Great movie Oersted!

Oersted
Nov-02-2012, 05:46
Glad you like it guys, but I hope you won't join the Actor's Guild and start hammering me with salary demands... ;-)

A bit surprised to only see 194 views after it has been up overnight, so if you know of places where to plug the movie feel free to do so..

Anyway, it was great fun flying with you and making this vid. Some amazing captures of exploding ships!

335th_GRAthos
Nov-02-2012, 06:54
Fantastic footage!

You are very lucky to have made it back alive but, this was one of the most immersive videos I have ever experienced!!!!! :salute:

Can you post what CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD you have and the resolution and quality settings you fly with? The video looked very smooth!

And, what do you use to zoom in/out?

~S~

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-02-2012, 10:23
Very nice ...

Oersted
Nov-02-2012, 10:54
Fantastic footage!

You are very lucky to have made it back alive but, this was one of the most immersive videos I have ever experienced!!!!! :salute:

Can you post what CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD you have and the resolution and quality settings you fly with? The video looked very smooth!

And, what do you use to zoom in/out?

~S~

Glad you liked it... Yes, CoD doesn't only deserve harsh criticism, it is actually quite great in many ways.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
SSD

Res 1920x1080, all settings on high, grass on, original textures (mostly).

Zoom: In CoD, to get the smooth zooming in/zooming out, you have to go into: Control options, Camera, And set "Hold to adjust view" to whichever button you prefer (keyboard or joystick) - If you then hold down that button and move your mouse forward or backward it will change the field of view in a gradual way. It is an ok option to have, but it would be much better if CoD allowed you to set a "zoom in"-button and a "zoom out"-button, as in - for example - RoF.

Oersted
Nov-02-2012, 10:55
Very nice ...

Thanks Chief and thanks for the bump in the RoF forum :-)

335th_GRAthos
Nov-02-2012, 17:00
...then hold down that button and move your mouse forward or backward

Agree witgh you, this is the current solution but unfortunately it is a "no go" for somebody who flies HOTAS (unless if I start writting macros for my WARTHOG but even then, there is a slight delay) :(

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

3Gb VRAM ?

~S~

Oersted
Nov-03-2012, 04:40
Agree witgh you, this is the current solution but unfortunately it is a "no go" for somebody who flies HOTAS

Why doesn't it work?

Here's the detailed info about my graphics card:

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1536 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2559 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6724
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

- I guess that means 2Ѕgigs of VRam, right?

335th_GRAthos
Nov-03-2012, 06:14
Regarding "Why doesn't it work?", I find very inconvenient having my hands on the throttle and the stick (HOTAS) to have to release one hand in order to use the mouse for zooming (while pressing another key with the other). Not good during for dogfight.
Especialy because 1c was stupid enough to ommit a single key press for that function (when I consider they added every kind of key options in the setup, it is madness they forgot to add that one).

Dedicated graphics memory 1536 MB

It means 1,5Gb VRAM, which is excellent news as your video shows that you had no stutters and no lower fps during the explosions despite the high level of detail.

(usualy low fps starts when your VRAM is full and the system starts swapping data from the main memory or hard disk to the VRAM - my GTX570 gives me half the fps when this situation occurs). Things may be different if you fly above ground where your 1,5Gb VRAM may be full very quickly.

~S~

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-03-2012, 08:11
Great video and great editing. The action was fast paced and the best anti-shipping footage I've seen yet. This would be an excellent example to show anyone new to the sim or even pondering whether to purchase it or not. We've all seen this kind of action at different times, and this video depicts it accurately and vividly without the need for any special effects. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

@Grathos My system is not too far different from Oersted's and so far it runs CoD very smoothly with one feature of note turned down: building detail. I run CoD at my monitor's native resolution of 1920 x 1080 @120 Hz (which I find eliminates tearing, although I also run adaptive Vsync in my Nvidia Control Panel). I run buildings in "unlimited" (which I believe reduces them from "popping up"), but found my GTX 680 2 GB card still did the micro stutters when flying low over towns & cities with building detail up high. Very bad. You had warned me that 2 GB wouldn't be enough and you were very right in this case. Turning building detail down to low smoothed things out when flying through the streets of Folkestone -- which is very often, actually. The towns still look OK, but I hate losing on the beauty of the artwork as a trade off to performance. Everything else looks great, though, and my framerate varies from the low 100's (over the sea) to the mid-30's (big dogfights over terrain/towns). As you discussed quite awhile ago, I wonder if a 3- or 4- GB card like you suggested would completely eradicate the microstutters with everything turned up high in a heavy action combat scenario. It probably would.

My system:

Gateway 2.67 mhz 12 Gigs DDR3 (begging for OC but BIOS locked out -- too chicken to hack it)
Nvidia GTX 680 2 Gigs
Win 7 64-bit
Asus 27" LCD @ 120 Hz
Warthog HOTAS
CH Quadrant (because you can never have enough levers)
Saitek Combat Pedals

335th_GRAthos
Nov-03-2012, 09:57
Hi Snapper,

Thanks for the heads up! Low 30s over towns/ big dogfights sounds very good at such resolution and image details! I am happy to see that CoD reached that level of performance!

You had warned me that 2 GB wouldn't be enough
Yeah, but cheer up, you bought the right thing at the right time, so many months passed and there is still no card good enough (for my taste) for CoD out in the market today...

Besides, at 2,67GHz, I beg you to overclock! You can jump easily to 3,6Ghz and it will be a significant improvement (I went from 2,9Ghz to 3,6Ghz and noticed the difference). You have a standard PC, there must be hundrends of solutions posted in the overclock forums on how to bypass the security (I hope).

You did not mention whether you put CoD on an SSD HDD or not. If you have no SSD, I beg you to test the RAMDRIVE solution. I made a 6Gb RAMDRIVE out of my 12Gb RAM and put most CoD files and the cache directory in there. I believe it makes a big improvement when it comes to loading/unloading things from the HDD to the VRAM.

Happy flying tonight!
My hands are itching but I have to go for training tonight as every night ;)

~S~

PS. Soren, I am downloading your video at 1080p so that I can keep it for future reference regarding the graphics and smoothness - 880Mb ! I am impressed you went to all this trouble to upload it, Thanks for that!!!

Oersted
Nov-04-2012, 08:42
PS. Soren, I am downloading your video at 1080p so that I can keep it for future reference regarding the graphics and smoothness - 880Mb ! I am impressed you went to all this trouble to upload it, Thanks for that!!!

The capture file I uploaded to youtube was 4.40GB.... Took me 13 hours!