PDA

View Full Version : DCS Spitfire - 2 Minute Start Video

philstyle
Dec-17-2016, 00:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OMk_0QxHdo

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-17-2016, 07:34
This is EXCELLENT!!! :thumbsup:

Last night I had my iPad set up in front of my TV/computer screen with pad & pencil in hand scribbling like crazy from the DCS start up video, pausing the iPad YouTube vid frequently. Also programming my HOTAS trying to duplicate, where possible, the DCS buttons & levers .lua setup to my Cliffs of Dover users.ini setup. Not wholly successful, but close! LOL

Your start up video makes the process more straightforward.:thumbsup:

Now....the take off procedure: squirrelly!!!! The DCS P51D is on train tracks compared to this DCS Spit! whaa

RCAF Rob
Dec-17-2016, 08:54
Snapper,

Take off can be as easy as the Mustang, or at least the Bf-109K-4! I have found good consistent results from following the process below:

1. Hold the stick fully back, apply brake, set boost to +7lbs;

2. Release brake;

3. Bring RPM up to 2800;*

4. As speed increases gradually allow stick to move to neutral being prepared to apply left or right to counter cross wind.

5. Once airborne retract gear ASAP but before 160 Mph it should be fully retracted, fly straight and level until 170 Mph, it can be a bit squirrely .

Voilà, vous êtes aéroporté.

Now you just need to get to the end of the runway...

* NB: don't let your boost get above +9 lbs, check weather conditions and use appropriate runway, tail wind is not fun and it pays to be aware of and prepared for a strong cross wind.

ATAG_Flare
Dec-17-2016, 10:00
Personally I found the Spitfire to be one of the easiest planes in DCS to take off and land so far. The 109 and 190 for sure felt more difficult. You just have make SMALL rudder corrections and you can lift off earlier than you think, too.

I also think the start up is simple, there are only a few things.

Fuel, magnetos, RPM and throttle up, primer, fuel pump, mixture, start.

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-18-2016, 02:10
I haven't had too much trouble taking off in the spit, but taxiing..... ugh. No tail wheel lock and the one lever for wheel brakes just somehow doesn't work for me. I can taxi and take off the 109 blindfolded but the spit just doesn't want to go where I want to on the ground. As soon as you are up though it's a beautiful plane! It's also really easy to blow your engine after your supercharger kicks in if you don't pay attention....

1lokos
Dec-18-2016, 08:49
I haven't had too much trouble taking off in the spit, but taxiing..... ugh.

Reduce RPM for about 2000 that taxi became more easy.

dix
Dec-19-2016, 02:17
Personally I found the Spitfire to be one of the easiest planes in DCS to take off and land so far.

I haven't had too much trouble taking off in the spit, but taxiing..... ugh.

you both using 0% take off assistance?
it got quite tricky for me once i removed it

1lokos
Dec-19-2016, 08:38
"Landing" Mk. IX is easy, but landing and stay in straight line over runway is very difficult, until now the most difficult plane in any game - most than BoS LaGG-3.

Need a flat glide to stall in 3 points a meter above runway or you will "eat" grass. :D

Eventually they will tuning this, like was done with Mustang, Bf 109, Fw 190.

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-19-2016, 11:37

I always turn off takeoff assistance on my DCS aircraft. For one it's not as realistic, and two I found that with most planes it actually made taking off harder as you fight the "help" but I can see your point. I did a few taxi's before I remembered to turn it off after install and it was a lot easier. Oh well, I'll just have to learn how to do it right.

ATAG_Flare
Dec-19-2016, 12:24

Yeah, for me it was easier without assistance, I was not used to the takeoff assistance messing with my rudder.

Vlerkies
Dec-19-2016, 13:26
Yeah, for me it was easier without assistance, I was not used to the takeoff assistance messing with my rudder.

Turn that @#$% off for every module.
I dunno where it crept in exactly that it is enabled by default but it sucks donkey balls.