PDA

View Full Version : "Sound of Freedom"

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-19-2016, 10:50
Not released yet, but this preview knocked me out. The external Merlin sound rose the hair on the back of my neck -- a true litmus test. Not as sure about the in-cockpit -- sounds tinny to my ears, but then again...I've never flown a real Spit.

https://youtu.be/Sfl7JDvd5RI

Many of you are probably aware of this website already: http://www.lockonfiles.com

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-19-2016, 13:16
Nice that what it should sound stock, my understanding is that it is a mod, right?

Check this one for the guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E2kfBDPX50

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-05-2017, 19:30
Tom Weis has uploaded his "Sound of Freedom" at his lockonfiles.com site. They are...FANTASTIC!!!! :stunned:

They load easily using the JSGME utility and he certifies that they work OK in multiplayer. Haven't tried online (yet), but it's easy to deactivate his files if there is a problem.

I also activated on top of Tom's sound files Relaxo's terrific weapon sounds (.303 Brownings and 20mm Hispanos). I don't know if DCS will eventually upgrade their default sounds to this level, but for now both sets are sweet ear candy!

EDIT: Just to say: the interior cockpit sound of Tom's does NOT "sound tinny" through my Logitech 430 earphones. I made the above comment from my iPad Air 2 speakers -- not a fair evaluation. Just taxiing a Spit with the big Merlin throbbing in front of you is an experience. I'll have to post a quick video.

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-06-2017, 00:42
Thank you snapper can you also share the link :D

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-06-2017, 04:23
Thank you snapper can you also share the link :D

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3349-dcs-spitfire-l-f-mk-ix-audio-production-10-mod/

No.401_Wolverine
Jan-06-2017, 10:43
I think relaxo's weapons could be a little bit louder (or diveplane's quieter). I know the engine should be the major sound and the weapons nearly drowned out by it, but I can hardly hear any sound of the guns, 303s or cannon, with Diveplane's mod.

Still, far better than stock sounds.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-06-2017, 10:53
I think relaxo's weapons could be a little bit louder (or diveplane's quieter). I know the engine should be the major sound and the weapons nearly drowned out by it, but I can hardly hear any sound of the guns, 303s or cannon, with Diveplane's mod.

I'm going to try Relaxo's version 2 of his weapons, which he felt was too loud for the DCS default engine sound. Relaxo also mentioned which settings to play with to increase the weapons' sounds, so I may try that, too.

Flyingblind
Jan-06-2017, 10:56
A spitfire is just not a spitfire without that sound.

GERMANWOLF
Jan-06-2017, 13:49
The sound of the Clod' :salute:engines and guns must be much more realistic, we expect a good improvement.

No.401_Wolverine
Jan-06-2017, 15:40
I'm going to try Relaxo's version 2 of his weapons, which he felt was too loud for the DCS default engine sound. Relaxo also mentioned which settings to play with to increase the weapons' sounds, so I may try that, too.

Let us know how it goes, Snapper. Might do the same.

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-06-2017, 15:45

You know that you can adjust the volume of the guns individually on the .ini files.

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-07-2017, 01:23
http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3349-dcs-spitfire-l-f-mk-ix-audio-production-10-mod/

Thank you Snapper. My DCS doesn't work anymore after a JMGME Old mods installation. It crash then Ive remove the mod but still the game crash at the black screen eagle dynamics. I try a repair amd a bunch of things that was suggested on a posting on DCS forum notting works. Any help would be appreciated

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-07-2017, 07:40
Yikes, dB! Obviously something got corrupted. I assume you've tried a delete and re-installation of DCS itself. Is there any way to check if anything DCS and/or JSGME has remained in your registry that must be removed?

9./JG26_Brigg
Jan-07-2017, 16:26
yeah he certainly does some good work, I use his Dora sound mod as well

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-08-2017, 02:19
Yikes, dB! Obviously something got corrupted. I assume you've tried a delete and re-installation of DCS itself. Is there any way to check if anything DCS and/or JSGME has remained in your registry that must be removed?

I did not :recon: I like to use that as last resort. I still hoping to find a way around that and have to remap everything's

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-08-2017, 08:11
I did not :recon: I like to use that as last resort. I still hoping to find a way around that and have to remap everything's

Can't you save your control input .lua files to another location, then load them into a fresh re-installation?

Catseye
Jan-08-2017, 12:17
@Snapper,

Give this a try and see what you think.

Using JSGME first install Diveplane's Mod.
Then install the weapons sound mod by Rlaxoxo.

Rlaxoxo's Weapon sounds are closer to Cliffs of Dover MOD.

Cats . . .

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-08-2017, 12:43
Hi Cats,

I found that Relaxo's excellent weapon sounds get drowned out by Diveplane's equally-excellent engine sounds. I tried playing with Relaxo's .wav files with Adobe Audition, but had no luck. Boosting the volume over 9 dB resulted in too much distortion, yet even 9 dB boost still got drowned out by the Diveplane engine. :ind:

Oh well, hopefully others are reporting the same thing and a fix will be found. I could not locate the download for Relaxo's V2 weapon sounds, which he said were louder than his current V3 version.

:salute:

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-08-2017, 15:11
Not released yet, but this preview knocked me out. The external Merlin sound rose the hair on the back of my neck -- a true litmus test. Not as sure about the in-cockpit -- sounds tinny to my ears, but then again...I've never flown a real Spit.

https://youtu.be/Sfl7JDvd5RI

Many of you are probably aware of this website already: http://www.lockonfiles.com

you can do it with notepad

If you want to make it louder go into the v3 Mod folder then

/Mods/Spitfire/Sound/sdef/Weapons/

Then Right click on each 303 and increase the
"gain = 0.6" or something to
"gain = 1.4" or more or how you like it and play around to find your personal preference.

I will have to do a complete reinstall like you said :grrr:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-08-2017, 17:28
Thanks for the tip, dB. After several (OK, a bunch) of trials I jacked the gain up of Rlaxoxo's sdef sound files an astronomical amount, just so the Brownings and the Hispanos are actually heard over the roar of Tom Weis' Merlin engine. It doesn't sound too bad now. Here's a quick video I made from inside the cockpit with the engine going at full blast (3000 rpms, 15 lbs boost).

https://youtu.be/O-oDrez60RQ

Some external footage:

https://youtu.be/v7PEpmGOJSQ

Catseye
Jan-08-2017, 19:25
you can do it with notepad

If you want to make it louder go into the v3 Mod folder then

/Mods/Spitfire/Sound/sdef/Weapons/

Then Right click on each 303 and increase the
"gain = 0.6" or something to
"gain = 1.4" or more or how you like it and play around to find your personal preference.

I will have to do a complete reinstall like you said :grrr:

Yes, this is the way to do it.
You can also lower the engine sounds the same way.
You can make it into a JSGME file replacement.

If you can, shoot the guns until the Hispano's are out of ammo and then listen to the .303's - excellent!

philstyle
Jan-11-2017, 04:38
Hi Cats,
I found that Relaxo's excellent weapon sounds get drowned out by Diveplane's equally-excellent engine sounds. I tried playing with Relaxo's .wav files with Adobe Audition, but had no luck. Boosting the volume over 9 dB resulted in too much distortion, yet even 9 dB boost still got drowned out by the Diveplane engine. :ind:
Oh well, hopefully others are reporting the same thing and a fix will be found. I could not locate the download for Relaxo's V2 weapon sounds, which he said were louder than his current V3 version.
:salute:

Hi Snapper.
I also tried editing the gain/ levels on the two mods so that I culd have diveplane's engine sounds, but with Raloxo's weapons, whilst still hearing the weapons.
I've done all sorts of tricks such as re-EQ'ing the internal sounds (reduced HF, increased LF) and played with the panning of the inner/outer guns to try and spread the audiop landscape a bit more.

I'd upload my final combined mod, however both original authors have stated that they do not want the mods to be re-distributed in any way. So for now, the editing work I have done is only for me to use... :(

However, despite these efforts, the main problem is this: DCS has a built-in sound compressor which constantly tries to normalise the audio output. This, annoyingly, messes up all the gain adjustemtns you make to the .wav files, throwing a lot of the balancing out the window.

In the end, I have found that adjusting the "cockpit" slider down lower has reduced some of tjhe hissing sounds and therefore made the guns louder. But it's still not where I want it to be.

Perhaps DB's ini-file tweaks will do the trick? . . .

Catseye
Jan-11-2017, 11:53
Thanks for the tip, dB. After several (OK, a bunch) of trials I jacked the gain up of Rlaxoxo's sdef sound files an astronomical amount, just so the Brownings and the Hispanos are actually heard over the roar of Tom Weis' Merlin engine. It doesn't sound too bad now. Here's a quick video I made from inside the cockpit with the engine going at full blast (3000 rpms, 15 lbs boost).

https://youtu.be/O-oDrez60RQ

Some external footage:

https://youtu.be/v7PEpmGOJSQ

New download that resolves all of the above:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179156

Download V4

Rloxoxo has taken DivePlanes sound mod and included his own weapons sound mod and made adjustments to DP's sound mod so clipping and volumes are better.

This one is a winner!!

Remove all the other engine and weapons sound mods and use just this one. JGSME compatible.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-11-2017, 11:56
New download that resolves all of the above:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179156

Download V4

Rloxoxo has taken DivePlanes sound mod and included his own weapons sound mod and made adjustments to DP's sound mod so clipping and volumes are better.

This one is a winner!!

Remove all the other engine and weapons sound mods and use just this one. JGSME compatible.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

Will give it a go. Gotta love the JSGME utility. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-11-2017, 13:57
OK, I've tried several variations/versions of Diveplane's and Rlaxoxo's sound mods. When I used Rlaxoxo's most recent V4 version, it sounded to my ears that Diveplane's engine mods were not incorporated at all...just the default DCS engine sounds which are less than awe inspiring. Here's a video I did to illustrate. It's quick and dirty, no fancy editing. I've included my notes as well.

https://youtu.be/c0L86_bBt8o

1) Diveplane mod only
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings sound flat, Hispanos sound muffled
External – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos sound the same and muffled
Flyby – engine sounds great, can barely hear Brownings or Hispanos

2) Diveplane mod plus Rlaxoxo V3 mod
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings inaudible, Hisplanos very muffled
External – engine sounds great, Brownings muffled, Hispanos muffled but better than Brownings
Flyby – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos inaudible

3) Rlaxoxo V4 mod only
Cockpit – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos muffled
External – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos sound great
Flyby – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos sound good

4) Diveplane mod plus Rlaxoxo’s V3 weapon mod with greatly increased volume
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos sound great
External – engine sounds great, Brownings inaudible, Hispanos sound OK
Flyby – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos barely audible

farley
Jan-11-2017, 17:34
Thanks for your work on this Snap (gotta run out the door right now).

I will listen to your video a little later on.
Which setup do you prefer?

In terms of the "tearing cloth" sound from the 303's, i wonder if having only 4 of them would lessen that a bit.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-11-2017, 18:05
I dont have the Spitfire but i have a question. Why in the internal vídeo the engine sound drops when firing the guns? It doesnt happen on the external view vídeo...

Catseye
Jan-11-2017, 19:45
OK, I've tried several variations/versions of Diveplane's and Rlaxoxo's sound mods. When I used Rlaxoxo's most recent V4 version, it sounded to my ears that Diveplane's engine mods were not incorporated at all...just the default DCS engine sounds which are less than awe inspiring. Here's a video I did to illustrate. It's quick and dirty, no fancy editing. I've included my notes as well.

https://youtu.be/c0L86_bBt8o

1) Diveplane mod only
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings sound flat, Hispanos sound muffled
External – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos sound the same and muffled
Flyby – engine sounds great, can barely hear Brownings or Hispanos

2) Diveplane mod plus Rlaxoxo V3 mod
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings inaudible, Hisplanos very muffled
External – engine sounds great, Brownings muffled, Hispanos muffled but better than Brownings
Flyby – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos inaudible

3) Rlaxoxo V4 mod only
Cockpit – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos muffled
External – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos sound great
Flyby – engine sounds like DCS default, Brownings and Hispanos sound good

4) Diveplane mod plus Rlaxoxo’s V3 weapon mod with greatly increased volume
Cockpit – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos sound great
External – engine sounds great, Brownings inaudible, Hispanos sound OK
Flyby – engine sounds great, Brownings and Hispanos barely audible

Interesting,
Works for me except for once when I go the default sounds. There should be no difference between the engine sounds of DivePlane's and Rlaxoxo's. He only tweaked them a bit in some areas because of clipping. For me, they sound exactly the same as DivePlane's alone except the guns are louder and the .303's can be heard now at about equal volume to the Hispanos. Both much louder than the original. Something does not add up. ??

Cheers,

ps: just read this from Rlaxoxo - how to make guns sound louder in cockpit:

Go to: "Weapon Mod"\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Sounds\sdef\Airc rafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit

Open the following files in notepad:
- Browning303In.sdf
- Browning303LHOuterIn.sdf
- Browning303RHOuterIn.sdf

And change for example "gain = 1.15" to something like: "gain = 1.85"
The higher the number the louder it's gonna be.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-11-2017, 19:51
I dont have the Spitfire but i have a question. Why in the internal vídeo the engine sound drops when firing the guns? It doesnt happen on the external view vídeo...

I've been flying this Spit a lot the past few days (with the different sound mods) and I confess sometimes I've noticed the engine sound dropping when firing the guns, other times I honestly don't. I have no explanation either way. As one of the modders, Rlaxoxo said in the DCS forum: DCS sound files are weird! LOL :banghead:

All in all, I have to say Diveplane (Tom Weiss) and Rlaxoxo have done a phenomenal job with their mods. It's been fun using them!

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-11-2017, 20:00
Hi Snapper.

Perhaps DB's ini-file tweaks will do the trick? . . .

Both dB and Rlaxoxo suggested the ini-file tweeks in the sdef files, which worked much better than anything I could do with the .wav files. I believe your notes above point to the problems I was encountering, and still cause difficulties trying to get a balance with the external engine vs weapon firing sounds.

I certainly respect the mod creators' wish not to have variations on their original files to be shared. Rlaxoxo was very kind to tip about editing his sdef files. I have a feeling that this is still a work in progress for DCS re the Spit IX. I'm amazed with what Diveplane and Rlaxoxo could accomplish in such a short time.

Thanks for your suggestion re the in-game audio sliders. Will play with those a bit.