PDA

View Full Version : Source Code ,who will have access ?

HurricaneHarvest
Dec-23-2016, 21:09
Once the SC is released to our super guys, just wondering whether we users might get a chance to track down bugs / features etc. In my younger days i was a ASM, BAS, C, pascal, Cobol, etc programmer, and i suspect many other users know some programming too. We would not need access to all code, just those sections where we know there are problems (AI .. AI .. AI)

Please, please have trust in users, we are mostly old and responsible, and would work with the current team. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Dec-23-2016, 21:10
Not happening, sorry.

Mysticpuma
Dec-23-2016, 22:14
As Colander says, it has taken (literally) years for us to get to this point and it has only come about through dedication, perseverance and obviously being able to show what we as a team can do without it.

If it were as simple as offering it to the community, then what would be the point in having Team Fusion Simulations involved? We may as well shut up shop and let the same as happened to the original IL2 happen? Yes there are some great mods (IL2 CUP, HSFX, etc, etc) but also each individual version means the pool of players is diluted and appears smaller.
Ae hope we can unify our small community, gain interest and trust but also produce a level of professional development that teams involved in other Sims are able to.
We believe we can but just to be clear, there is no way the Source Code will ever be released by us, especially with substantially detailed Non Disclosure Agreement in place.

So, we know everyone is excited by this news, as we are too, but we are effectively the Guardians of the code and as such we take that responsibility with the seriousness it deserves.

Cheers, MP

Mysticpuma
Dec-23-2016, 22:25
"and obviously being able to show what we as a team can do without it."

by which I mean....Imagine what we can do once we get to use it! :)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-24-2016, 00:09
It is not just up to Team Fusion who gets access... :idea:

And within TF it will be limited to a very select few.

And there is no way it will be handed out to the public.

That would destroy all security for online play and allow hackers to ruin the game.

HurricaneHarvest
Dec-24-2016, 02:54
no problem, I was hoping against hope. You'd also need some sort of Version Control software, and would still be chaos :)

69th_Zeb
Dec-24-2016, 09:21
Yeah, NDA's would leave them in legal trouble with the bosses (Ubisoft, I presume?), who I'm sure have an arsenal of lawyers ready to protect 1C's intellectual property.

Planetoid Pioneers has done some interesting experimenting for content creators who want to contribute. They've come up with some safety features to keep them sort of out of trouble. Without being able to contract though, it's hard feeling good about weeding out the use of "Google'd" assets (models, textures, etc.) that might place the company in legal jeopardy. You'd have to "trust" all of the content was originally made by the contributor before having it released.

I had to sign a contract once that actually stated they had rights to all of the data, work and personal, on all of my home computers. Didn't really bother me, and it made the company I was working for at the time more comfortable working with me remotely. Some might not like it so much. :)

~S~!

Blitzen
Jan-03-2017, 12:30
(Slightly OT so forgive me & move if necessary: )
Will the access to the source code have any influence or efect on the release of those mods already in the mill for 5.0?:flying2:

Vlerkies
Jan-03-2017, 14:01
(Slightly OT so forgive me & move if necessary: )
Will the access to the source code have any influence or efect on the release of those mods already in the mill for 5.0?:flying2:

Short answer , yes, parts delayed or all.

Some insight offered in the post linked below with a very suitable justification.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23943

We also have to add a word of warning to those who think this agreement will speed up the arrival of TF 5.0. While we gain many advantages from our official status, TFS is also now held to higher standards. A North African expansion without a P-40 might be ok for an amateur group to release, now that Team Fusion is operating as a professional organization, we have to acknowledge a Desert Campaign without a P-40 is just not a Desert Campaign. And that is just one of a number of additions or refinements we will need to add to TF 5.0. There has also been the fact these negotiations have introduced a level of uncertainty into the equation. Many members stopped work... because all the many hours they might put in working without the Source Code could be reduced to minutes if we did have access to it. So that slowed down work on TF 5.0. Finally, even when we have access, the Source Code is still a very complex and detailed piece of code, which will take some time to understand. After so many years, it is unclear whether the original manuals and support documents are still available.
The following is a general outline of the plan moving forwards.

1. Team Fusion incorporates as TEAM FUSION SIMULATIONS. 1C and TFS sign the final legal agreement. We expect this will happen in January. TFS receives access to the Source Code.

2. Within a few weeks of the signing, TFS releases a single-install compilation of all Team Fusion work up to TF 4.312 as a 'Community Mod'. This package will be hosted on Steam as an optional update for all original game owners.

3. Within a number of months, TFS releases a new edition of the original game. This will have all the current TF 4.312 'mods', but this time these work-arounds and adaptions will be properly written to the Source Code, and the game will also be upgraded to DX11. In addition, we will provide a number of 'extras' over what is currently in TF 4.312. We can't say what these will be at this point, but we are sure the community will appreciate them. This 'new' game will replace the old one on Steam, and will be a free upgrade to those who already own CLIFFS.

4. With a completion date of 2017, work on TF 5.0 will proceed. As mentioned, we will be adding the P-40 to the aircraft already promoted in our TF updates to this point. There will be other additions, although the details will have to wait for our regular updates to reveal.

Some stuff and fixes to come earlier, but hang fire for a better tf5 it seems.

All good. All definately very good.

LuseKofte
Jan-06-2017, 14:46
Well this is the most optimistic post ever seen in the era of computers, 10 + in interest . If you like to fiddle with this sim why not just put in a cv and apply for a job within TFS

However I am myself wondering what is going to happen.
The access t the source code will bring more labor to the COD we have today. I do not know how much work lie ahead. Will all files be redone and put together with patch 5.0 ?
Will there be a 5.0 as we waited and learned, or will the new planes and maps be pay-ware?
Now remember I fly mostly DCS and BOX , I can handle the truth, I am not used to get anything for free where I go.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jan-06-2017, 16:36
Well this is the most optimistic post ever seen in the era of computers, 10 + in interest . If you like to fiddle with this sim why not just put in a cv and apply for a job within TFS

However I am myself wondering what is going to happen.
The access t the source code will bring more labor to the COD we have today. I do not know how much work lie ahead. Will all files be redone and put together with patch 5.0 ?
Will there be a 5.0 as we waited and learned, or will the new planes and maps be pay-ware?
Now remember I fly mostly DCS and BOX , I can handle the truth, I am not used to get anything for free where I go.

I think you'll find out most your answers with Buzz's posts here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23943&p=249752&viewfull=1#post249752

and also a couple down will answer another.