PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to TrackIR?

Thelema
Jan-02-2017, 04:15
Hi flyers,

Happy New Year and all that :)

I decided to get an alternative to TrackIR over Xmas - the 'Delanclip'.

Bottom line - it's a load of crap. I must have spent 3 days fecking around with software settings, tweaks, reading articles about the settings, quitting out of games and restarting and it's just....rubbish.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is TrackIR generally accepted as running flawlessly?

PS - if anyone wants the 'Delanclip' and camera for free I'll happily post it to you within the UK, just let me know as it will only gather dust.

Thanks

ATAG_Pattle
Jan-02-2017, 04:23
Hi mate,

I use Edtracker. Much cheaper than TrackIR, not as functional, but does it for me.

YouTube it.

Cheers,

Pattle

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-02-2017, 08:12
Hang on to your Delanclip...You may find a use for it sometime...

EdTracker is pretty popular...It doesn't have full 6DOF but it has a workaround

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18389&highlight=edtracker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As3yV_wREFU&t=10s

Don't bother with FaceTrackNoir...It's bad...

PSeye and FreeTrack has positive feedback...I think the DelanClip works with that...

TrackIR is the most popular...and most expensive...It is reliable...although you may need to change your environment to a dark room for it not to flit about with daylight reflections in your room...

As Pat says google them...and check videos of CLOD too...Most vids are with TrackIR when in cockpit...

diziet
Jan-02-2017, 08:16
I'm using a delan clip with track ir.... No problems at all. I'm happy to sure my profile (which I adapted from another one shared somewhere else on the forum....)

dix
Jan-02-2017, 13:12
this delan clip is just a fancy name for something others have been doing as a "diy trackir"

I've been using one of this cheap solutions for months, and i've been really happy with it

if you want to explain what problems you are having, we could try to sort it out.

are you using the ps3eye cam? do you have the ps3eye CL fix? does the tracking software see the leds?
what tracking software are you using? what games do you want to play with it?

Thelema
Jan-02-2017, 14:37
this delan clip is just a fancy name for something others have been doing as a "diy trackir"

I've been using one of this cheap solutions for months, and i've been really happy with it

if you want to explain what problems you are having, we could try to sort it out.

are you using the ps3eye cam? do you have the ps3eye CL fix? does the tracking software see the leds?
what tracking software are you using? what games do you want to play with it?

Thanks!

I can't remember offhand as I've uninstalled it, with the intention of throwing it at the missus :)

I was using the camera and everything 'out of the box' with no changes by myself.

But the problems I was having :

Jerky, not smooth. If I increased the smoothness then i was getting lag.
And the main problem was that at times I was moving my head and it was doing nothing, and othertimes I would look down a few inches and it would jump to looking at my feet in the game.

I'd tried using it with Elite Dangerous, DCS World so far.

I'd spent about 2 days trying all the options, reading forums, trying different settings but it just didn't cut it. The leds were being picked up fine by the camera and in the Eyetoy app when I moved my head the lights were moving nice and smoothly.

Could you do me a favour and share some screenshots of your settings and I will reinstall it again?

Am I just being too optimistic maybe? Should I expect 'cheap' performance for 1/5 price of the TrackIR?

Or for the same price should I try an Edtracker?

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-02-2017, 16:20
I use Freetrack as do many others without any problems. I have tried TrackIr and I found no advantage over freetrack. I use a PS3 eyecam at 60fps but my old MS lifecam worked fine at 30fps. Though I dont use a delan clip, mine is homemade but pretty much identical.

If you do go for a PS3 eyecam then get the latest PS3 eyecam driver, there is no need for the cleye fix file but I had to pay a small fee to download (the previous one was free but needs the fix file.

You are almost there, frustrating I know, but a ready made clip is half the batte won. Try Freetrack if you havent done so already and check out the Freetrack sticky thread in the technical section of this forum.

Ask if you need examples of how others have freetrack configured.

Thelema
Jan-02-2017, 17:02
I use Freetrack as do many others without any problems. I have tried TrackIr and I found no advantage over freetrack. I use a PS3 eyecam at 60fps but my old MS lifecam worked fine at 30fps. Though I dont use a delan clip, mine is homemade but pretty much identical.

If you do go for a PS3 eyecam then get the latest PS3 eyecam driver, there is no need for the cleye fix file but I had to pay a small fee to download (the previous one was free but needs the fix file.

You are almost there, frustrating I know, but a ready made clip is half the batte won. Try Freetrack if you havent done so already and check out the Freetrack sticky thread in the technical section of this forum.

Ask if you need examples of how others have freetrack configured.

Ok thanks I'll give some more time to tinkering to see if I can get it working :)

Thelema
Jan-02-2017, 17:23
Ok -

Got the CL eye driver (the $$$ one)

and Freetrack.

Eye driver working fine, Freetrack crashing every time I try and set the stream from demo to the camera.

I've followed other posts that say to make sure the driver and FT are set to the same FPS but still no joy (windows 10 64 bit and running as Admin)

Thanks

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-02-2017, 17:57
When you launch FT you should see that the Eyecam is already selected as the default camera. You must first click on 'Stream' - then 'OK' (to close the Dialogue box) BEFORE pressing 'Start'. Do not press Start first otherwise FT crashes.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-02-2017, 18:14
Here are Ft files that may help you, improved SSE an MME filters and 640x480 exe version of FT. Rename your existing MME and SSE or put them elsewhere before placing all three files in the FT folder.

Create a shortcut for the new Freetrack 640x480 executable file (you can keep the original FT in the folder as the new version has 640x480 included in the name.

See how you get on.........

Thelema
Jan-02-2017, 18:16
Here are Ft files that may help you, improved SSE an MME filters and 640x480 exe version of FT. Rename your existing MME and SSE or put them elsewhere before placing all three files in the FT folder.

Create a shortcut for the new Freetrack 640x480 executable file (you can keep the original FT in the folder as the new version has 640x480 included in the name.

See how you get on.........

Thanks for these! I will try them out - I've switched to the latest opentrack and it's now looking pretty good and working well.

I'm wondering if having the camera / headset on USB 2 ports before instead of 3 made a difference? I'm fairly useless when it comes to all this malarky as you've no doubt guessed.

Will try these out after work tomorrow - thanks again ! :)

dix
Jan-02-2017, 18:56
Thanks!

I can't remember offhand as I've uninstalled it, with the intention of throwing it at the missus :)

I was using the camera and everything 'out of the box' with no changes by myself.

But the problems I was having :

Jerky, not smooth. If I increased the smoothness then i was getting lag.
And the main problem was that at times I was moving my head and it was doing nothing, and othertimes I would look down a few inches and it would jump to looking at my feet in the game.

I'd tried using it with Elite Dangerous, DCS World so far.

I'd spent about 2 days trying all the options, reading forums, trying different settings but it just didn't cut it. The leds were being picked up fine by the camera and in the Eyetoy app when I moved my head the lights were moving nice and smoothly.

Could you do me a favour and share some screenshots of your settings and I will reinstall it again?

could it be that your problem is due to too much light in the room? sometimes i get some flickering because i don't use any daylight filter, and it behaves like that when that happens
does the "head" in opentrack move like it is supposed to?
well i've had the light issue in game when watching the game sun in the past to be honest :laugh:
i just had to set the video filter a bit more dark to fix it ^^

what settings screen are you interested in?

Am I just being too optimistic maybe? Should I expect 'cheap' performance for 1/5 price of the TrackIR?

Or for the same price should I try an Edtracker?

well i'll let you judge that by yourself, but i really dont think that's the case. this is me using my DIY trackir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GF-swdWbg
I don't really know what more can the real trackIr give me.

anyway i use freetrack for Cliffs of Dover, I love ft and the profile i have on it.
but sadly i couldn't make it work with both battle of stalingrad and DCS... so i use opentrack there...

also some games want you to specify in a settings file that you use an old_trackir, i think this was the case for both clod and bos.

not sure i had to do that with DCS.

Perfesser
Jan-02-2017, 19:50
Not sure what stage you're at here but when I start Freetrack I first have to use the "camera" tab to set exposure, gain and play with the colour settings to get good dots. See that they don't go away when turning your head. They'll get smaller or bigger depending how far your head is turned. Adjust point size numbers till you get 3 and only 3 dots all the time, wherever you turn your head.
Then I have to go to stream tab, set my FPS (60 with the Ps3 cam) I have to use 320x240 at 24bits or it will crash.
Only then can I start FT successfully.

I couldn't get FT to work with DCS though. Had to go to Opentrack. Not quite as much adjustment possible in OT but FT can be complicated to get set up just so. Simpler may not be such a bad thing.

Silent135
Jan-02-2017, 22:31
I think theres' a headtracker.exe file, or somthing like that you have to download for freetrack to work with dcs. I use freetrack and a homemade 3 point clip and ive found it works good with all applications, after abit of tweaking of the profile settings. :salute:

Thelema
Jan-03-2017, 03:02
I seem to have it sorted now thanks - it's working really well.

Still no idea what I was doing wrong before....although this is a different Eyetoy driver and I wonder if it's better / more recent.

Thanks again for the replies and advice