PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire IX clean canopy

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-12-2017, 11:42
This JSGME-ready mod is literally a game changer: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2315459/

There are still minute scratches in the canopy revealed at certain angles, plus sun glare reflection to contend with as you maneuvre, so the feeling of Perspex (plexiglas?) is retained. What are eliminated are the black smudges and patches of blurry opaqueness that frequently caused the enemy aircraft to be obscured during a dogfight. "Lose sight - lose fight" has been a common factor in my tussles with the enemy AI. No longer. If I lose it's because I goofed up and/or the opposing pilot(s) bested me through their own skill and/or tactical advantage(s).

The impression I get now with this mod is that my crew chief tore the junior erk a new one and made him go back and clean the canopy again with a CLEAN cloth! :thumbsup:

philstyle
Jan-13-2017, 03:50
Does it screw up the "pure" DCS install, preventing playing on "pure-only" servers?

If it doesn't screw up the "pure", then everyone should have this.

This chap certainly seems to have a nmore realistic canopy. Not covered in all those fracture lines, but still has pale splotches where dust/salty water drops have dreid on the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njjl_smtMoQ

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-13-2017, 04:05
I also have a good one it's the Open canopy Mod :thumbsup:

philstyle
Jan-13-2017, 04:29
I also have a good one it's the Open canopy Mod :thumbsup:

This mod also comes with the "lots of outside sounds" mod.
Does having the canopy open affect airspeed at all in DCS? I see no appreciable change with it open....

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-13-2017, 07:39
Does it screw up the "pure" DCS install, preventing playing on "pure-only" servers?

If it doesn't screw up the "pure", then everyone should have this.

Wow, watching that video was a thrill. He makes it look sooooo easy. My taxiing is still a work in progress, let alone my lurchy take offs and bouncy, ground looping landings! LOL It was cool to see Toronto's CN Tower - barely an hour's drive from my front door.

I haven't ventured online yet, so I don't know if this canopy mod -- or the sound mods for that matter -- will mess up the purity of the files. If they do, hopefully a simple deactivation via JSGME will restore online compatibility.

philstyle
Jan-13-2017, 08:58
. My taxiing is still a work in progress, let alone my lurchy take offs and bouncy, ground looping landings!

Assign your brakes to a slider/ axis.
Apply 3 to 4lb brake pressure as soon as you start taxying, and keep it there for landings too.
You will never miss a turn, or ground loop again. . . well, it worked for me anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-kP0QaniA

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-13-2017, 10:08
Excellent video, Phil. Will try assigning the brakes to an axis, then setting it to 4 (lb? whatever..).

I had been having better luck with keeping my airspeed up at bit on approach much as you've done, then "flying it onto the runway". This resulted in a longer rollout but reduced the bounce I would get coming over the perimeter fence at 90 mph, killing throttle, and stalling onto the runway for a 3-pointer. However, I would get the same right wing drop you were getting, I would have the plane get away from me, overcorrect, and whomp!

When I get home tonight I'll try your technique.

:salute:

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-13-2017, 10:31
Question: Nobody questionates if this is "fair" for the game? If i fly with a scratched canopy and my opponent doesnt it aint the same, is it?

I dont argue the joystick vs keyboard, or trackir vs non trackir discussion. Thats not the same. Im questioning the game engine, the models used. Somewhat doesnt seem "ok" to me.

But hey, i dont have the spitfire or i rarely fly dcs. Its just my old 1946 il2 experience coming back. And that was the reason why many stop flying, with so many diffrent settings for each. Of course a jgsme change in this case is just for visuals, but still it provides a improvement for a specific user. And what else can you modify with jgsme?

just 1c

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-13-2017, 10:44
@Lolsav - fair points.

I just fly DCS single-player at this time, so it makes no difference.

For multi-player I gather the server can be set to ensure "purity" (= integrity, I suppose). I don't know if the Clean Canopy Mod disrupts that integrity, which would deny a player access to the server. Unfair advantage if Clean Canopy meets the "pure test"? Probably -- unless it was understood up front by all players that the mod is accepted and available to all.

I haven't seen any Spitfire mods that alter the plane's performance/weapons. As it is, the DCS Spit is in "early access" mode, so DCS are still doing changes to it with each update. Hopefully sound mods and a cleaner canopy will be part of its upcoming tweaks.

I don't know how vigorous the "pure test" is, though, for current online play.

LuseKofte
Jan-13-2017, 13:51
Well, Thank you very much, I did not see the difference at all testing this. So I spent the day cleaning my screen in my RIG and laptop. After that I found out that 10 km visual in BOS is quite a lot, and the colours, they are so bright in all games
:iloveu:

JimmyBlonde
Jan-14-2017, 00:55
Thx dude, the dirty canopy meme needs to die.

philstyle
Jan-14-2017, 03:24
For multi-player I gather the server can be set to ensure "purity" (= integrity, I suppose). I don't know if the Clean Canopy Mod disrupts that integrity, which would deny a player access to the server. Unfair advantage if Clean Canopy meets the "pure test"? Probably -- unless it was understood up front by all players that the mod is accepted and available to all.
I don't know how vigorous the "pure test" is, though, for current online play.

Spot on Snapper.
I'm not sure how "vigurous" it is either.
I did add a ground texture pack via JGSME, and I was unable to join a "pure" server. So at least it does work to a degree....

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-14-2017, 07:57
If that was Starways mod there's one file that breaks the IC if I remember right. If you replace that file (might have been a shadows LUA file) with the the stock file then you can log on to mp with Starways mod active.

philstyle
Jan-15-2017, 07:56
If that was Starways mod there's one file that breaks the IC if I remember right. If you replace that file (might have been a shadows LUA file) with the the stock file then you can log on to mp with Starways mod active.

yes, it is starways... thanks for the tip!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-17-2017, 11:14
No problem - it's this file that you need to remove from Starways folder and replace with the stock install file:

config/effects/shadows.lua

Once you do that then anytime you have to reactivate Starways it should always include the stock shadows lua file and you won't have any IC issues. I didn't notice any difference to the look of the mod when using the stock shadows lua file.