PDA

View Full Version : To Ilya/Luthier and all the people involved in CLOD

ATAG_Colander
Nov-13-2012, 11:59
Ilya et all at MG,

In the hopes this little note reaches all of you (translated if needed) and you get to read this. I just wanted to post a few lines in an attempt to provide some support in these difficult times for many of you.

I want to thank every one of you for your hard work trying to keep delivering amazing games for all of us that love this genre. I wish all of you the best of luck in your next endeavors and hope those of you that do not have job already, find a great one soon.

I would like you to know that you will have my full support should you decide, and find a way, to continue with the legacy (I really hope you do!).

Please be sure you will always be welcome in this forum and community and I hope you can drop us a line when the circumstances permit it.

Thanking you again for all your efforts,
:salute:
Colander.

JG52_Krupi
Nov-13-2012, 12:04
+1 Well said!

Dutch
Nov-13-2012, 12:07
Absolutely.

:thumbsup:

:)

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-13-2012, 12:11
+1

Great post! :thumbsup:

III./ZG76_Keller
Nov-13-2012, 12:13
Absolutely!

Tvrdi
Nov-13-2012, 12:41
Nice try....

ATAG_Colander
Nov-13-2012, 12:49
Tvrdi,

I'm not trying anything. This is a real post with no strings attached.

Colander.

Old_Canuck
Nov-13-2012, 12:53
My name is ATAG_Old_Canuck and I approve of Colander's message.

ATAG_Slipstream
Nov-13-2012, 14:25
+1 Colander.

Nice try....

You too... :thumbsup:

Doc
Nov-13-2012, 15:34
Thank you for this sim.

Ivank
Nov-13-2012, 15:34
Sent to Ilya directly

ATAG_Colander
Nov-13-2012, 15:37
Thanks IvanK.

ATAG_Septic
Nov-13-2012, 17:45
Great post Colander, I agree.

Septic.

JG52_Krupi
Nov-13-2012, 18:06
Sent to Ilya directly

Thanks Ivan :salute:

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-13-2012, 18:14
Here, here ...... I agree and support this thread ..... well said .... :thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-13-2012, 20:50
Salute

I think we do owe a word of thanks to Ilya Shevchenko and his team.

But as well, to Oleg Maddox, who began the project, and whose vision was unfortunately not able to be realized.

Somehow I think if he had remained involved, we would have seen this brought to a more favourable conclusion.

All one has to do is look at the vast potential which was designed into the framework for the game, to understand this really could have been IL-2 to the nth degree.

ATAG_Torian
Nov-14-2012, 00:09
And if it means a $20 a month fee to play something of the quality of CloD count me in. U guys deserve a liveable income. Heck I'll sign my wife up as well.
If Eve Online and World of Warcraft can do well then a worthwhile flight sim will keep customers coming back.

Ilya, Oleg and the team, u are legends and I salute u.

310_cibule
Nov-14-2012, 06:30
+1

Tvrdi
Nov-14-2012, 07:59
Tvrdi,

I'm not trying anything. This is a real post with no strings attached.

Colander.

What I was trying to say - you are "yelling into the abyss"...

thats all

but, anyway, I fully support you effort :thumbsup:

310_cibule
Nov-14-2012, 08:22
EDIT: and once for all...I really doubt CLOD project "failed" because of mean whiny customers or because of lacking money (777 had less even with selling stuff they make) or because of lacking time (god knows how many yrs they spent on this) BUT because of VERY bad management and probably partially incompetence in dealing with advanced sim engine...then, the PR was amateurish in a worst manner (also IMHO they werent honest with customers from day one)...on the forum of the "other advanced sim" is Thank you thread....on 1C is all (justified) cries and appeals (which are now more like prayers) almighty 1C will say a single word about future of the (still not finished) game......Once bitten twice shy, baby bye bye :salute:

One hundred percent true.

Still
1) they tried to develope a next generation WWII sim for us hard core fanatics
2) they succeeded in many ways (and failed in the others)
3) we have nothing better to fly now (talking about WWII genre)
4) we have a lot of fun to play it at ATAG

Colander wrote: "I want to thank every one of you for your hard work trying to keep delivering amazing games for all of us that love this genre."

So do I.

Tvrdi
Nov-14-2012, 08:25
Appologies to Colander and others as quotted text above is now in appropriate topic and removed from this one...

vranac
Nov-14-2012, 09:10
Thanks !!!

I hope you will continue with your work.

Catseye
Nov-16-2012, 14:37
Well Said!

Agree 100%

kopperdrake
Nov-16-2012, 18:52
And if it means a $20 a month fee to play something of the quality of CloD count me in.

I'm new to this whole genre - the first flight sim I played was Sinclair Flight Simulator on the ZX81 when I was 11, the last was Gunship 2000 on the Commodore 64. This software blew me away when I saw it on YouTube 5 months ago, and I continue to love it, and the community that surrounds it is astoundingly knowledgable and helpful.

For the record I would happily pay $20 a month for a flight sim of this quality, if regular updates were forthcoming. Just saying that perhaps this is a pay model that you could use for any future development?

!S and thank you for giving us a playable version at the last minute when you all, in all likelihood, had bigger personal issues to deal with. You have my respect and gratitude.

Bunny

Doc
Nov-16-2012, 22:17
I'm new to this whole genre - the first flight sim I played was Sinclair Flight Simulator on the ZX81 when I was 11, the last was Gunship 2000 on the Commodore 64. This software blew me away when I saw it on YouTube 5 months ago, and I continue to love it, and the community that surrounds it is astoundingly knowledgable and helpful.

For the record I would happily pay $20 a month for a flight sim of this quality, if regular updates were forthcoming. Just saying that perhaps this is a pay model that you could use for any future development?

!S and thank you for giving us a playable version at the last minute when you all, in all likelihood, had bigger personal issues to deal with. You have my respect and gratitude.

Bunny

You ain't the only one that shares that sentiment. :thumbsup: :) I love this and need more stuff. More buttons. More bullets. More CANNONS. More targets. I love it.

MadTommy
Nov-17-2012, 03:45
And if it means a $20 a month fee to play something of the quality of CloD count me in.

Personally i wont touch any game that has a monthly sub. It just does not suit me and is a non starter. I would happily pay per plane like RoF or pay much higher purchase costs, $150 or similar, but i'll never touch a monthly sub game. Personally i think 777 & Eagle Dynamics have the best strategy, where you pay for extra content that is being constantly produced. I have a large stock of RoF planes that i have never flown and DCS modules i rarely use, but am very happy to support both companies. Maddox Games strategy is old school and clearly does not pay the bills, $30 or less for a full sim like CloD with a load of flyable planes is too cheap. I'm sure most would pay a lot more if the appropriate resources and quality went into it.

Anyway I'm rambling, I hope Maddox Games can get their house in order. Good Luck MG.

Doc
Nov-17-2012, 03:54
Try to think of it this way. I have some very expensive habits that I probably could do without that cost me monthly and some things I'm subscribed to that I really don't utilize much but like to have them. I figure if push came to shove for me I'd spring for a monthly sim but not what we have now. Well I guess I kind of do that now anyways. But you know what I mean? If it meant that I had to spend a few dollars to get content and a first class complex sim where everything imaginable worked, true to history and it was totally immersive I am there!

Old_Canuck
Nov-17-2012, 09:09
I believe you guys are right that an improved pay model is needed to keep the genre alive. This might also weed out the haters who pay little and complain much. Changing the forum model might be helpful as well. How about a forum where all can post and all can read but a "by invitation only thread" exists where serious discussion can be held between developers and knowledgeable enthusiasts who have been chosen for not only their knowledge but especially for their mature attitudes.

Catseye
Nov-17-2012, 12:30
Try to think of it this way. I have some very expensive habits that I probably could do without that cost me monthly and some things I'm subscribed to that I really don't utilize much but like to have them. I figure if push came to shove for me I'd spring for a monthly sim but not what we have now. Well I guess I kind of do that now anyways. But you know what I mean? If it meant that I had to spend a few dollars to get content and a first class complex sim where everything imaginable worked, true to history and it was totally immersive I am there!

Then we have folks like me who are on a fixed income and monthly expenses can be very tight. It's easier to save for a purchase or pay for aircraft inclusions rather than an annual load on a monthly basis.

kopperdrake
Nov-17-2012, 13:09
Maybe a couple of ways to buy in would be an idea? Subs for those who want, and that gets you regular updates in terms of planes, access to 'special' planes like Wellies, Lancasters etc, bespoke graphics for your plane, t-shirts, whatever. Then right down to the one-off payment strategy with the basic planes included, but the option to purchase others as and when you can afford to drop the cash.

Tvrdi
Nov-17-2012, 14:51
I believe you guys are right that an improved pay model is needed to keep the genre alive.
I dont see a problem there. In fact, I would gladly pay for each model (external 3D model, cockpit, engine, FM, DM etc.) of the plane if they meet standards of ROF or CLOD, if devs will have us updated regularly, if the game will be optimised well, with COOP, on example- collision model for trees...in short - so we can have full product which will be updated regularly with new features (lets say introducing new CEM stuff, engine model) graphic options (HDR withing game gui, raindrops, dynamic shadows for clouds, AA and AF withing game which actually works, more realistic clouds and lightning etc etc), campaigns, models, FM fixes (this is where 777 stopped at some time, for some reason) etc....I would gladly put my money where my fun/hobby starts......But I will not support something which is half product where I need to pray for every word from devs....

This might also weed out the haters who pay little and complain much. Changing the forum model might be helpful as well. How about a forum where all can post and all can read but a "by invitation only thread" exists where serious discussion can be held between developers and knowledgeable enthusiasts who have been chosen for not only their knowledge but especially for their mature attitudes.

Now ur patronising...

Doc
Nov-17-2012, 15:24
:thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Nov-17-2012, 16:44
All,

Please help keep this thread clean. It's purpose was not to initiate or maintain a discussion. You can open a new thread for that.

Thanks,
ATAG_Colander.

ATAG_Colander
Dec-12-2012, 21:12
Posted on the 1C forum.

Good day gentlemen,

I have been a part of the Il-2 community since its earliest days. I remember getting excited by this project way back in 1999, just as the very first info and screenshots began coming out.

I remember the day I received the IL-2 Sturmovik Beta in the mail. I dropped whatever I was doing, closed my work, installed it on my work machine. I remember the very first mission I flew in Il-2 as if it was a second ago. Dusk, coastline below, dark black pixels of the four enemy planes outlined against the clouds on the horizon.

I remember the first time I got to fly the very first airplane I built for the game. I had fallen in love with the BI-1, and finally seeing the fruits of my labor in game, seeing all those polygons and pixels I poured so much love into materialize and become a living, breathing flying machine in my most favorite game in the world. The feeling was absolutely indescribable.

I remember the first time I finally met Oleg and set foot in the Maddox Games office. I still remember the office layout, where everyone sat, what I talked about with every single person in the room.

I remember the sleepless nights and the incredible hectic sense of the world crumbling around me in the months leading up to the release of my first very own major release, Pacific Fighters. The eerie quiet when it went to print and suddenly it was all over, replaced by the wait for reviews and community feedback.

So it is with a very heavy heart that I say goodbye to the IL-2 series today. It’s been a part of my life for so long, the one thing I cannot remember is not being a part of the Il-2 world.

I thank you all for being there with me, the fans, and especially all the Il-2 team members. I’m proud to have met and worked alongside you. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the Il-2 series for all these incredible years.

I loved every second of it.

Ilya “Luthier” Shevchenko

My first post still applies.

ATAG_Naz
Dec-15-2012, 07:42
I posted a quick message a few days ago on Luthiers goodbye thread at the banana forums giving him my thanks for being part of the team(s) which provided me with so many years of fun.

Given this site well represents so many of us that have been able to enjoy Cliffs for what it is, and to enjoy the sheer brilliance of what it gets right I am glad to do the same here on ATAG.

I had an hour long sortie on ATAG This afternoon (Aussie time) which was absolutely fantastic and reminds me of how good Cliffs can be. Nothing comes close to giving me the thrill and sheer fun I get from Cliffs... Thanks luthier and team.

Cheers
Naz
(II./JG53_Opfer)

Oersted
Dec-15-2012, 10:35
Thanking you again for all your efforts,
:salute:
Colander.

Well said! - And let's keep flying CoD!!!

miky
Dec-26-2012, 12:00
Hi guys,
Sukhoi News

For dull, Ilya said that he leave IL 2. That's all. Ilya didn't say Goodbye to military flight simulation
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=78143&page=10&p=1950130&viewfull=1#post1950130

I certainly can not say anything, I even can not hint, because it's a trade secret, I only say that now I have to spend time to build the external model for a single-engine plane [sensored] as much as I spend on twin-engine at CLoD. For example, if the project will include Pe-8, and we talked about this, the cabins from IL-2 for him will the cabins of the outside model.

People, all will be WELL!

My post has nothing to do with product 777 and 1C.
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=78162&page=8&p=1950136&viewfull=1#post1950136

What happened in the past does not matter, my post appeal to those who said, that with the closure of MG all lost. No, not lost. More anyway I not will say it is impossible. Ilya himself will tell and show you when the time comes
http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=78162&page=9&p=1950176&viewfull=1#post1950176

Merry christmas and happy new year!

ATAG_Colander
Dec-26-2012, 12:51
Thanks Miki,

Great news indeed!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-26-2012, 12:54
Thanks Miki,

Great news indeed!

+1

Hope springs eternal! :thumbsup:

:)

ATAG_Septic
Dec-26-2012, 13:32
Thanks for the post, as Snapper says "Hope springs..."

Septic.

buster_dee
Dec-31-2012, 17:57
Brand new to this forum, so hello all. I've always had the feeling that the people who got drawn into Oleg's world were special, and they became more so with that encounter. Even when small outbursts came out from team members, checking the context always presented a plausible reason: someone humanly flawed, heckled once too often, just had a little lapse. I completely trusted their vision, and it was THEIR vision I found to be the least compromised by outside pressures and, in the end, the vision closest to my own. I heartily thank all those team members, and I feel more than a little sad that their creative genious has been "transfered." I used to think 777's model was a little odd, but it appears to provide the kind of stability, repect for talent, and sane compensation these teams can no longer get from distributors. It just takes too long to make something well, too long to suit a distributor's own pressures.

Thanks to Oleg, Ilya, and their minions. I still think you are the best in the genre.

ChiefRedCloud
Dec-31-2012, 20:00
Brand new to this forum, so hello all. I've always had the feeling that the people who got drawn into Oleg's world were special, and they became more so with that encounter. Even when small outbursts came out from team members, checking the context always presented a plausible reason: someone humanly flawed, heckled once too often, just had a little lapse. I completely trusted their vision, and it was THEIR vision I found to be the least compromised by outside pressures and, in the end, the vision closest to my own. I heartily thank all those team members, and I feel more than a little sad that their creative genious has been "transfered." I used to think 777's model was a little odd, but it appears to provide the kind of stability, repect for talent, and sane compensation these teams can no longer get from distributors. It just takes too long to make something well, too long to suit a distributor's own pressures.

Thanks to Oleg, Ilya, and their minions. I still think you are the best in the genre.

Well said Buster .... Well said :thumbsup:

HurricaneHarvest
Jan-01-2013, 05:28
This is starting to sound promising, glad CLODers didn't give up on this great game, and neither did old commanders, nor modders .. wait with baited-breath ! :thumbsup: