PDA

View Full Version : 1/72 Scale Aircraft - Swap, buy or sell

aspidistra
Feb-04-2017, 08:10
Thought it might be an idea to see what other nerds lurk here. If you've got any 1/72 scale kits knocking about (particularly if you want to swap) give me a buzz here or ask me on TS.

BOO
Feb-04-2017, 15:28
reminded me of a kid on Swap Shop back in the late 70s or early 80s- came in with his HUGE airfix collection. I dunno if you remember but it was a feature of the show and it involved the kid with the collection offering a swap for something.

He offered a really badly built , glue everywhere, Hampden with a clearly knackered undercarriage to swap for an unbuilt B29.

Now im not sure how many of you know the size and cost different between an airfix series 4 and a series 7 but if you do im sure your understand my seven year old brain thinking "you greedy little sod!!"

Regards and good luck with the swapsies

BOO

aspidistra
Feb-04-2017, 16:49
reminded me of a kid on Swap Shop back in the late 70s or early 80s- came in with his HUGE airfix collection. I dunno if you remember but it was a feature of the show and it involved the kid with the collection offering a swap for something.

He offered a really badly built , glue everywhere, Hampden with a clearly knackered undercarriage to swap for an unbuilt B29.

Now im not sure how many of you know the size and cost different between an airfix series 4 and a series 7 but if you do im sure your understand my seven year old brain thinking "you greedy little sod!!"

Regards and good luck with the swapsies

BOO

He sounds like a cheeky little bugger, or a future billionaire...

Mate, sorry to say but I wasn't even a twinkle in the milkman's eye when Swap Shop was on!

Cheers for the well wishes though.

ATAG_Laser
Feb-05-2017, 12:27
When my uncle passed away in 1999 I inherited a large box full of 1:72 aircraft kits, many dating from the 60's and 70's. I have since built some of them that are now displayed in my garage, but there are still a lot unmade, the largest being the Airfix B29, Sunderland , B24 and Catalina.

The most unusual is a vac formed Avro York fuselage, you use the wings and tail from a Lancaster ( I also have that pretty bad Airfix Lancaster kit from the 70's)

Other unusual kits include a Frog Fairey Gannett, comet air racer, the Ryan "Spirit of st Louis" and too many others to mention.

Not looking to sell or swap any of these, just thought this might be of interest here, oh, and yes, I am old enough to remember Swap Shop :D

69th_Zeb
Mar-19-2017, 12:09
Hi aspidistra,

Also a scale modelling nerd here, with 1:72 Airfix being my favorite for the price. Figured there would be a bunch of guys here doing the same. For some screamin' deals, check out hyperscale's trading forum.

http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/planetradingframe.htm

~S~

DerDa
Mar-19-2017, 12:21
In 1:72 I am dabbling with ships.
My favourite Scale for airplanes is 1:48, but for special occasions (and if I do not have to find space for the thing at my place) I also do 1:32

Guess what ac I build ...
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=56524&pageNo=1
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=60692&pageNo=1
http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=58752

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-19-2017, 12:50
Wow!

nice work sir !

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-19-2017, 12:53
Love the minions !

BOO
Mar-19-2017, 13:00
The most unusual is a vac formed Avro York fuselage, you use the wings and tail from a Lancaster ( I also have that pretty bad Airfix Lancaster kit from the 70's)

Ah the old airfix lanc - for their faults the raised detail on an old airfix 1/72 or 1/48 tamiya lanc still looks better than the newer version's recessed panel gouges...sorry.....lines.

69th_Zeb
Mar-20-2017, 00:48
Nice cockpit work Derda. Love it. CLOD is an awesome resource for modelling.

Here's some 1:72 Airfix planes my inlaws got me for Christmas (thought Christmas presents were lame as an adult, until now. haha). I commandeered the boy's walk-in closet and had production in full force this winter.

BOO
Mar-20-2017, 06:30
Nice work Zeb!

Seriously jealous of your man cave!

BOO
Mar-20-2017, 08:45
I like that Airfix, after years in the doldrums, are now coming back with some terrific kits.

I built the 1/24 typhoon about 2 years ago and WOW! - stressed metal effects, raised surface and fine rivet detail, cartograph decals and some astonishing OOB detail achievable without having to faff with multi media or expensive after market stuff.

Barone
Mar-20-2017, 08:56
Really well done works zeb!
I personally just restarted my model activities in the last months after years of nothing.
1/72 is the scale that I prefer for airplanes. They are fast to do and quite enjoyable without spending weeks on model.

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk

BOO
Mar-20-2017, 09:20
"Weeks"?

I got a mig-21 that's 3yr old and is still having all those damn stencils applied!! :-)

DerDa
Mar-20-2017, 09:48
I like that Airfix, after years in the doldrums, are now coming back with some terrific kits.

Absolutely.
The new 1:48 Spitfire Vb from Airfix is considered the very best in this scale. It is sitting here together with a Tamiya Vb Trop and an Italieri Vc, waiting for TFS 5.0 :)

69th_Zeb
Mar-20-2017, 21:00
I personally just restarted my model activities in the last months after years of nothing.
1/72 is the scale that I prefer for airplanes. They are fast to do and quite enjoyable without spending weeks on model.

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk

Yeah I just started again this winter after not doing any since high school (late 90's, I'm not that old ha). I've been blown away by the new materials and molds available. I worked several years as a mold/tool maker and looking at Airfix's stuff, they really know what they're doing. The box art, instructions, and everything for a great value.

aspidistra, sorry we kind of derailed your thread. ;) You got the nerds running around lighting fires! To be on topic, I talked to my friend today, who has more models than he has years left to build them, and he only carried piles of the bigger kits. :(

-Zeb

Infinity
Mar-22-2017, 00:05
I started making models again for my kid, after a nearly 40 year hiatus. I find 1:72 is a decent scale for jets, I think it's a bit small for prop fighters. Plus, prop blades tend to break off when handled by kids. For the same reason I always build with gear retracted. The glues and paints and tool available are infinitely better than I remember. I buy all my kits on eBay, lots of people have old kits they never got around to building.