PDA

View Full Version : A newbie writes...

Verkitso
Nov-17-2012, 11:57
Hello, everyone.

I'm Richard, a 39 year old chap from the UK and I'm heavily into flight simulators. I'm also a Mac user (boo!) but I've been asked by work to start running Windows on my Mac. Which has set me thinking. Can I run IL-2, as it looks fantastic and can I join an online group such as this one? It looks and sounds like really good fun, so I do hope so.

I would really welcome any advice that you may have to offer, so please post on this thread or send an email to my personal email address, which is pendleton@btinternet.com

Thanks for your time!

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-17-2012, 14:47
Hi Richard,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :D

Hopefully someone here can answer your questions re CoD on a Mac running Windows. Good luck on your enquiry and keep us posted how things turn out.

Best regards,

Snapper

III./ZG76_Keller
Nov-17-2012, 15:04
Hi Verkitso, you may want to contact ATAG_Recoilfx as he runs Windows and Cliffs of Dover on a Mac. He might be able to offer you some assistance.

Dutch
Nov-17-2012, 15:04
:)

Hello mate. Can't help with the Mac business I'm afraid, being a total IT buffoon. The flight sim bit I can help with a little.

When you say IL2, do you mean IL2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, 1946, or 'Cliffs of Dover'?

Most of us have our pc specs in our signatures, so if it's Cliffs of Dover you're after, have a look at everyone's specs and you'll get an idea of what you'll need.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Doc
Nov-17-2012, 15:06
ATAG_Recoil runs a Mac.

kopperdrake
Nov-17-2012, 18:24
Hi there. Whilst I run CloD on a PC, I do have a couple of Mac Pros running Windows XP Pro. The big issue you'll have is the graphics card installed, and I'm not too much up on which is better or best. Apple aren't renowned for giving the best 3D cards with their Macs. Essentially you need to install Bootcamp on your Mac, preferably on a separate hard drive if you can install another in your Mac. That keeps the two OS's separate, in my mind a much preferred way to go. Or you'll need to create a separate partition on your existing Mac hard drive - the instructions are all there in the Bootcamp installer if I remember correctly. Once you have Windows installed on the Bootcamp hard drive you pretty much have a PC, to all intent and purpose. I don't know which Windows OS you can run these days under Bootcamp as I gave up on Macs for work a year ago and switched to PCs (I found I was always running them under Bootcamp!).

Good luck, and apologies if my information is out of date :)

Bunny

Recoilfx
Nov-17-2012, 18:28
Well actually, technically my CloD machine is a hackintosh. It's really a PC, that's made to run Mac OS X.... Rest of ATAG doesn't seem to acknowledge that - any Mac-ness is tainted according to the ATAG peeps :)

In any case, Richard, what Mac do you have? We may be able to figure out your relative performance by your GFX chipset. Needless to say, you'd definitely need to use Bootcamp to get any sort of playable frame rate....

Verkitso
Nov-18-2012, 06:13
Hello everyone and thanks for the replies, which I'd probably have seen sooner if I'd set the forum up to tell me when people replied to my posts... doh!

Anyway. I recently got offered a job by a Danish company which is great as it allows me to work in the UK and fly over at their expense if anyone needs me to see clients or they need a face to face chat. All great. I can also use my Mac, which is even greater, but I'll have to run Windows on it. Now, I plan to buy a new Mac anyway as this one is powered by steam and takes two weeks to boot up, which is fine. Here's the spec on the one I've seen...

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Basically, it's a laptop, but seems a pretty powerful one, at least by Mac standards. It'll certainly cope with running Windows but I don't know if it'll run IL-2 without being horrendously glitchy and falling over a lot. If anyone has any thoughts... let me know!

Recoilfx
Nov-18-2012, 20:05
I just looked some of the performance numbers (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php) on your 650m, and unfortunately, you probably will have a hard time running at full tilt. You will most likely get by by turning down the res and disabling shadow though! Of course, disable SSAO too!