PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive headset?

Campbell
Mar-04-2017, 17:16
Anyone got a recommendation for a good inexpensive headset that I can use with Team Speak?

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-04-2017, 17:30
Hi J...

You'll get some info on what folks use here...

Headset Thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18299&highlight=headset)

and maybe here...

Joystick Thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7000)

farley
Mar-04-2017, 17:32
What do you consider "inexpensive" campbell?

I believe that word has different connotations to the folks that fly here in that the term inexpensive seems to climb with ones passion for CloD.....:)

I used to consider an inexpensive throttle one costing less than $ 30...... now it's less than $ 300!

Remember that time invested equals dollars invested..... :D

Just being silly. CloD is not a sim that you have to spend lots on to enjoy..... as time goes on however, you will likely find that you want to pick up bits and pieces that will add to the immersion for you.

(One bit of advice though... DO NOT ASK if you should go with a twist grip on the throttle, or pedals for rudder control...... shhhh.... very touchy subject around here.....:recon:)

From what you said in your intro though, you likely have most of the kit.

A headset and mic will let you join in on TeamSpeak, which will be great!:thumbsup:

Campbell
Mar-04-2017, 17:42
What do you consider "inexpensive" campbell?

I believe that word has different connotations to the folks that fly here in that the term inexpensive seems to climb with ones passion for CloD.....:)

I used to consider an inexpensive throttle one costing less than $ 30...... now it's less than $ 300!

Remember that time invested equals dollars invested..... :D

Just being silly. CloD is not a sim that you have to spend lots on to enjoy..... as time goes on however, you will likely find that you want to pick up bits and pieces that will add to the immersion for you.

(One bit of advice though... DO NOT ASK if you should go with a twist grip on the throttle, or pedals for rudder control...... shhhh.... very touchy subject around here.....:recon:)

From what you said in your intro though, you likely have most of the kit.

A headset and mic will let you join in on TeamSpeak, which will be great!:thumbsup:

You are correct my friend! I have everything I need minus a headset. I know the sky's the limit with anything computer related, but by budget I was thinking something that will get the job done for under $50. I have plenty of headsets but there all aviation headsets and won't work with a PC. They make adaptors to convert, but there like $150. That's a bit over the top just for a converter.

ATAG_Laser
Mar-04-2017, 19:18
Not sure what is available in the U.S, but I bought a Logitech headset for about £15 here in the UK, and it does the job fine.

One word of warning though, using a cheaper headset with a thin headband will cause a head tracker that uses a magnetrometer, such as Ed Tracker to drift badly, as I have found out.

I have had to mount my Ed Tracker with 20mm of foam rubber between it and my headset to cure this problem

9./JG52 Mindle
Mar-04-2017, 19:18
I use a F4tality headset. £24. Does the job. Don't need to spend big for a decent set of headphones with a mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Mar-05-2017, 01:31
Probably the most inexpensive headset " system "... :):):)

Welcome aboard the IL 2 Cliffs of Dover community! :salute:

http://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/funny-Headset.jpg

Baffin
Mar-05-2017, 08:27
Anyone got a recommendation for a good inexpensive headset that I can use with Team Speak?

I use loosely fitted $5 ear buds from eBay for TeamSpeak, while listening to the game sounds through the speakers. Completely adjustable and very realistic, especially when RadioFX is installed in TS3. :lala:

Campbell
Mar-05-2017, 22:32
Probably the most inexpensive headset " system "... :):):)

Welcome aboard the IL 2 Cliffs of Dover community! :salute:

http://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/funny-Headset.jpg

:) hahahaha

Campbell
Mar-05-2017, 22:34
I use loosely fitted $5 ear buds from eBay for TeamSpeak, while listening to the game sounds through the speakers. Completely adjustable and very realistic, especially when RadioFX is installed in TS3. :lala:

Do you use anything for a mic to communicate?

Baffin
Mar-06-2017, 10:03
Do you use anything for a mic to communicate?

I use a "Visor-Cap" (Baseball cap with no top, for cooling my head) with the following accessories:

-A cheap, lightweight microphone from some software package I picked up years ago. I sewed it using needle and thread, to the right temple area on the cap's band, and adjusted the mic to the right corner of my mouth. It's remarkably stable. Since I use the "RadioFX" plugin with TeamSpeak 3, microphone fidelity is not as important to me as reliability is. Using the TeamSpeak 3 "Press to Talk" feature makes it as reliable as my keyboard/controller.

-A cheap pair of earbuds I bought on eBay. They are sewed in place on each side of the visor headband, and dangle on their wires to just below ear level. This relieves all pressure from the wires when they're in my ears, allowing a very loose fit so I can still hear my speakers.

-TrackIR5 PRO IR lights from a unit with a broken headset clip that one of our CLoD friends wanted to get rid of. (I have seen them advertised on eBay.) I mounted these in the center of my visor's "Bill" using the unused reflector Track Clip. Once again, I sewed the reflector Track Clip to the visor. I secured the lights to the reflector track clip with "Twist Ties". The TrackIR5 camera is mounted on the top center of my TV, eliminating most parallax error.

Since my computer is on my left, I bundle all the wires to extend from the left side of the visor with a stress relief clip to attach it to my belt (shirt, sleeve).

When in use, I forget it's even there... :sleep:

Prophet
Mar-06-2017, 11:27
I've got a similar arrangement. An old baseball cap with the 'bill' chopped off and worn backwards. There is just enough 'bill' for the EDtracker box and a mic dangles from the side. I get all audio through the main speakers. The mic was £5 from ebay :) (PTT button on the stick)

Baffin
Mar-06-2017, 20:44
I've got a similar arrangement. An old baseball cap with the 'bill' chopped off and worn backwards. There is just enough 'bill' for the EDtracker box and a mic dangles from the side. I get all audio through the main speakers. The mic was £5 from ebay :) (PTT button on the stick)

Gotta love eBay! My pink earbuds cost $5 while the blue ones of the exact same model would have cost $10. Helped me get in touch with my sensitive side! :wings: