PDA

View Full Version : RAF Coltishall Jag

Jas107
Mar-08-2017, 11:00
Hi all,

Was meeting my mrs (she works for Norfolk council in the UK) and outside is a old Jag remembering RAF Coltishall. Thought I would share an image of it for all those who remember it.

Jas

ATAG_Laser
Mar-08-2017, 12:06
I lived for many years in the shadow of RAF Coltishall, so I grew up with Jaguars flying overhead, and I can also remember (just) the Lightnings before them.

I spent many a day during my school summer holidays with my mate at crash gate 4 watching Jags taking off and landing.

It was a great shame when the base closed, and of course the Jag in the picture was erected as a tribute to the station, and those that served there.

They also have one at The City of Norwich aviation museum on the edge of Norwich airport, and they have a couple of Jaguar cockpits there too, it's well worth a visit.

This got me wondering if there are still any Jaguars serving with the RAF, or if they have all been retired by now

ATAG_Vampire
Mar-08-2017, 12:38
The Jaguar is no longer serving with the Royal Air Force.

The final RAF squadron to fly them was 6 Sqn. which disbanded in 2007. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

ATAG_Marlow
Mar-08-2017, 13:35
Hi all,

Was meeting my mrs (she works for Norfolk council in the UK) and outside is a old Jag remembering RAF Coltishall. Thought I would share an image of it for all those who remember it.

Jas

Nice pic Jas...thanks for sharing. I remember the Lightnings and then Phantoms. This was back in 1966 - 1979. I was 11/12. For me it was always the Lightnings. Two engines one on top of the other...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-08-2017, 13:57
I had a Dinky Jag....sigh!

http://www.dinky-collector.co.uk/dinky/731%20sepecat/t%20023.jpg

ATAG_Laser
Mar-08-2017, 14:22
The Jaguar is no longer serving with the Royal Air Force.

The final RAF squadron to fly them was 6 Sqn. which disbanded in 2007. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

Coltishall had 3 squadrons of Jaguars, no's 6, 41 and 54 sqns.

Without looking it up I think it was in 2006 when the station closed, and I believe, (although don't quote me on this) that all 3 squadrons then moved up to Lossiemouth in Scotland.

ATAG_Laser
Mar-08-2017, 14:33
Nice pic Jas...thanks for sharing. I remember the Lightnings and then Phantoms. This was back in 1966 - 1979. I was 11/12. For me it was always the Lightnings. Two engines one on top of the other...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!

Marlow, I was very young, still at primary school when the lightnings were at Coltishall, and the BBMF were also based there at the time, so I also used to see the flights Spits and Hurri's flying over my home quite regularly.
Coltishall at that time was a Lightning conversion unit, but around '73, '74 time the base became fully operational with Jaguars, and the BBMF moved up to Conningsby at about the same time.

The only Phantoms that I can remember were some visiting USAF F4's around 1977 time. Me and my mate cycled up to the edge of a field, under the flight path lights and they came over us so low, made a hell of a noise, really awesome to see :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-08-2017, 15:40
Hi all,

Jas

Cool... !

There is one at Shoreham too, in the southwest corner, accessible by road. And a Merlin engine normally in the window of Northbrook College (they have an automotive buidling on the site) , just east of the terminal building.

Well worth a look. and all for free.

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-08-2017, 15:42
...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!

or a 109 :)

TWC_Brett
Mar-08-2017, 15:57
My brother was based at Coltishall on Jaguars for a while and I remember sitting watching them fly on many occasions when I visited. One of my earliest memories and what I think really got me hooked on military aviation though, was attending a 56 squadron reunion day with my grandad back in the early eighties and sitting at the edge of the runway watching F4 Phantoms going vertical on full reheat. I can still remember the sight, sound and smell to this day and I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.
A memory permanently etched in my brain.