PDA

View Full Version : Condensed History: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.

FightingSteel1
Apr-07-2017, 04:34
I was inspired to write this article after reading about a man I came across while researching other topics, and realized I knew nothing about him. This man was Theodore Roosevelt Jr. Oldest son of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, I decided his story was well worth retelling in an article.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. (“Ted”) was born in September 1887 to Theodore Roosevelt and his second wife Edith (his first wife, mother of his first child, died a few years before from undiagnosed kidney failure). Theodore Roosevelt, at the time of his first son's birth, was just beginning his political career. As his father began rising up the ranks of national prominence (first as Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Navy, next as a famed “Rough Rider” in the Spanish-American war), Roosevelt Jr. studied at Northeastern private schools. Now as the oldest of five siblings, much was expected of him by his parents, which he would remember later as being particularly difficult for him at times. His father became U.S. President in 1901, serving two terms.

https://i.ibb.co/XZxYhMn/family.jpg
--The Roosevelt family (from left: Theodore Roosevelt, sons Archie & Ted Jr., daughter Alice, son Kermit, wife Edith and daughter Ethel. Son Quentin born later)

Roosevelt Jr. would attend Harvard in 1909, though he considered one of the military academies as well. In 1910, he would marry Eleanor Butler Alexander. Upon graduating from college, Theodore would go into business (specifically investment banking), an unassuming career choice that failed to match the unique life that lay ahead. Even so, he was very talented at this work, and amassed a small fortune leading up to WWI.

In an interesting program of the times, businessmen, and others in professional careers, were given the opportunity (at their expense) in the mid-nineteens to attend “military camps” for officer style training. The United States government was worried about current world events, and these camps provided a way to prepare qualified men for future possible conflict.

https://i.ibb.co/mBk9tkV/ted74.jpg
--Ted, pictured on the left

WWI

Roosevelt Jr., along with his brothers, would attend one of these camps. When war for the United States finally was declared in 1917, former President Theodore Roosevelt would inquire with General John Pershing about his son's joining the American Expeditionary Force. Due to their prior training and preparations, Roosevelt Jr. was offered the rank of major, while his brother Archie became a second lieutenant. Another brother, Kermit, volunteered to join the British forces around Iraq, while youngest brother Quentin joined the Army Air Service.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. would volunteer to be among the first group to go to France. There, he distinguished himself as a battalion commander. He was well-liked, and thought of very highly by commanders in leading his men in combat. In an example of his character (and a recurring theme), at one point he personally purchased new, heavy duty combat boots for his entire battalion. Theodore Jr. would see several major battles, and survive being gassed at Soissons and wounded by machine gun fire. At the end of the war, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Chevalier Legion d'honneur. His brother Quentin was killed in air combat over France in the summer of 1918.

Upon returning to the U.S., Theodore Roosevelt Jr. would be a founder of the American Legion, a highly regarded and critical veterans association. Ted's own fourth child would be born in 1919, but his father would pass that same year at the age of 60. Roosevelt Sr. had been weakened over the years due to sporadic malaria symptoms (originally contracted years ago in Cuba) and an assassination attempt. In the end, the loss of Quentin in the war greatly diminished his characteristic fighting spirit.

https://i.ibb.co/XJJC1Bb/ted27.jpg

Interwar

Ted would continue in the reserve, taking officer and staff training. He also followed his father's path, beginning a political career. Throughout the 1920's, he would hold the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy (runs in the family), spend a year on a zoological expedition with his brother Kermit, and get into a protracted feud with his relative Franklin Delano Roosevelt when Ted ran for Governor of New York (losing by 105,000 votes). After a brief hiatus from politics, he spent the early 1930's as the appointed Governor of Puerto Rico, then the Philippines. After resigning his post on the Philippine islands, Ted returned home to continue working as an executive and board member of several non-profit organizations. He also considered running against his cousin FDR in the 1936 election, but declined to begin a campaign.

See next post for part 2....

FightingSteel1
WWII

In 1940, with Europe embroiled in war, Theodore Roosevelt Jr., at the age of 53, took refresher courses for the U.S. Army, and was promoted to colonel in the reserve. In April '41 he returned to active duty, and was given command of the same regiment he fought under in WWI. His regiment would ship out for North Africa in late 1941, with Ted now a one star brigadier general.

In North Africa during Operation Torch, Ted quickly gained a reputation as a compassionate leader. He routinely visited his men on the front lines and took an proactive approach to command. Drawing from his experience in WWI, he greatly preferred being involved in battle to planning operations from a command post. He would direct the 26th Infantry in Algeria, and in 1943 became Assistant Division Commander(ADC) of the 1st Infantry under Major General Terry Allen.

https://i.ibb.co/smFxJf5/allen.jpg
--Generals Roosevelt, Allen and Patton

Major General Terry Allen and Theodore Roosevelt Jr. were in many ways similar commanders. Terry Allen was also highly regarded by his men, and preferred a hands on, front line approach. He typically set his command position as close to the front as possible. As a commander, he cared little for military ceremony, and insisted on direct, common sense approaches to battle and operations. War correspondent Ernie Pyle would characterize Allen as a man who lived to fight, and one of his favorite men he covered in combat.

Unfortunately, this unorthodox method of command would work against both men. Their style of leadership would draw the ire of General Omar Bradley, and to a lesser degree General George Patton. Bradley was complementary of their combat work, but would say that:

“neither Terry Allen nor Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, the Assistant Division Commander, possessed the instincts of a good disciplinarian. They looked upon discipline as an unwelcome crutch to be used by less able and personable commanders."
--Gen. Bradley

Through Patton (overall Army commander) and Allen clashed as well, Patton considered the 1st Divisions results to be exemplary. He continued to insist that Allen and Roosevelt's division be used in the most important undertakings, including the most difficult sector of the landings on the island of Sicily in 1943. But Bradley was persistent, and he pushed Eisenhower to move the two out, as their independent command style clashed with his approach, and Bradley felt that the 1st Division as a whole “had assumed Allen's cavalier attitude.”

Though very well-liked, and with an excellent record in the campaign, Allen, and therefore Roosevelt, were rotated out of 1st Division command. Roosevelt would assume the job of liaison officer to the French Army for General Eisenhower. Not content with this work, he repeatedly petitioned Eisenhower for a combat post. Finally, he was granted the title of ADC to the 4th Infantry Division, and was sent back to England to help prepare for the Normandy Landings.

FightingSteel1
D-Day

In the months leading up to the invasion, Brigadier General Roosevelt would work closely with advance units planning the Utah Beach sector. He directly petitioned the Commanding General Raymond Barton of the 4th to be allowed to land with the troops on the beach. This request culminated in a letter sent to Barton on May 26th:

“The force and skill with which the first elements hit the beach and proceed may determine the ultimate success of the operation...You (Barton) should have when you get to shore an overall picture in which you can place confidence. I believe I can contribute materially on all of the above by going in with the assault companies. Furthermore I personally know both officers and men of these advance units and believe that it will steady them to know that I am with them.”
--Brig. Gen. Roosevelt

Barton had turned down the request more than once before, but finally relented after receiving the official correspondence.

https://i.ibb.co/4sKRC96/onestar.jpg

On D-Day, Roosevelt landed ashore in the first wave on Utah with the 8th infantry regiment. He carried with him his cane, a pistol, and a favorite book of poetry. He walked with a cane by this time, as his WWI injuries and arthritis had caught up with him. The initial units ended up South a mile or so off the planned landing location. Roosevelt, with machine gun fire and shells exploding all around, moved to reconnoiter their surroundings in an attempt to locate the causeways in the Utah Beach plan to be used to advance inland. Roosevelt, returning to the battalion commanders directing the assault, decided the units should push ahead from their landed positions and forget about relocating to the planned landing sites. He famously would declare “We'll start the war from right here!”

The plan worked, and each subsequent regiment hitting the beach was met by Roosevelt, directing them to their new objectives. Some soldiers would say later that seeing a man his age, calmly directing the traffic of war with little regard for his own safety, would inspire courage in them. The Allied units attacked North behind the beachhead, and successfully secured the beachhead. When upper command units arrived on the beach, including General Barton, they found an orderly movement of units inland, and Ted, smiling broadly, there to greet them.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. would be the only General to land in the first wave, and the oldest man on the beach at Normandy. His youngest son, Quentin Roosevelt II (named after his uncle), landed on Omaha Beach that day. Therefore, they would have the honor of being the only father and son to both participate on June 6th.

https://i.ibb.co/T1nChfL/tedson.jpg

While the U.S. Army advanced into the French countryside, Ted would be seen driving in a Jeep named “Rough Rider.”

https://i.ibb.co/9sYTYsR/roughrider.jpg

End of the War

After the Allies encircled the port of Cherbourg, and compelled the Germans to surrender on June 26th, Roosevelt Jr. was named the military governor of the city. Unfortunately, on July 12, 1944, Theodore Roosevelt Jr. suffered a heart attack at Méautis. A little over a month after the invasion began, a full life came to an end. In truth, Ted had been suffering not just from arthritis and old war wounds, but from heart trouble and other ailments. He carefully masked these concerns from his doctors in order to see the war through.

Initially Roosevelt Jr. was buried at Sainte-Mere-Eglise, with Patton, Bradley and other high ranking commanders in attendance. At the time of his death, Theodore was in line for promotion to two star major general, with orders to take over the 90th Infantry Division. Several interesting quotes can be drawn from Ted's service in WWII: General Barton had been very apprehensive about giving in to Roosevelt's request before D-Day, believing he would never see him again. Barton would later say:

“While I was mentally framing [orders], Ted Roosevelt came up. He had landed with the first wave, had put my troops across the beach, and had a perfect picture (just as Roosevelt had earlier promised if allowed to go ashore with the first wave) of the entire situation. I loved Ted. When I finally agreed to his landing with the first wave, I felt sure he would be killed. When I had bade him goodbye, I never expected to see him alive. You can imagine then the emotion with which I greeted him when he came out to meet me [near La Grande Dune]. He was bursting with information.”
--Gen. Barton

Even Omar Bradley, once a great critic of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.'s command, said:

“He braved death with an indifference that destroyed it's terror for thousands upon thousands of younger men. I have never known a braver man, nor a more devoted soldier.”
--Gen. Bradley

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. would be recommended for and awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously. The award would state:

“For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy-held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France.”

Later, he would be reburied at the American cemetery in Normandy. In 1955, his brother Quentin would be moved from his WWI crash site, and reinterred next to him.

The Roosevelt family goes down in U.S. history as a family that served, fought and died in the service of their country. Theodore Roosevelt Jr. would live up to his father's legacy, and lived a very full and exciting life. He would be portrayed later by Henry Fonda in the film “The Longest Day.” Those interested in a more detailed telling of his life can find further reading in several books, such as “His Father's Son: The Life of General Ted Roosevelt, Jr.”