PDA

View Full Version : P51 seems to overheat way too fast in DCS

ATAG_Torian
Dec-04-2012, 09:00
Just installed the latest 1.2.2 version of DCS World and the corresponding updated P51. Seems to overheat way too quick with oil and water rads on auto in takeoff. You really gotta baby it or maybe I'm just doin it all wrong. Can get wheels up np (which is fiddly in itself) but only way I can keep it from overheating and seizing up is to very quickly drop rpm to under 2500, quicker than I would have thought anyway and even back off throttle considerably. I put rads in manual but as there is no indicator of how far open they are I'm just tapping on them in the hope that they are opening. Seems to work better than auto anyway. Be interested in some1 elses findings.

Chair1
Dec-04-2012, 09:36
Some where I read that 1.2.2 changed the P-51 power tolerances so that if you use WEP too long the engine will seize. There was a video about this new feature , but at the moment I can,t find it.

:grandpa

Chair1
Dec-04-2012, 09:50
Now that I wasn't looking for it I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSPwaAV5OY

:grandpa

ATAG_Torian
Dec-04-2012, 10:40
Yep, basically u cant firewall the throttle. I did the takeoff tutorial again and u takeoff at 50 on the manifold pressure dial then when airborne drop it back to 45 and 2700rpm. I had forgotten the bit about holding the stick back to lock the tailwheel...that sure helps to steady the takeoff. I still had to manually open rads to get them back into green. Auto rads might be bugged as auto isn't keeping the temps down as far as I can see. Once at those settings it flys like a dream. It's even fun just buzzing airfields shooting up ground targets. Will have to take the time to work out how to build a dogfight map with some AI thrown in. Even dogfighting with other P51s would be a hoot.

Doc
Dec-04-2012, 13:38
I re-downloaded 51. Will get some stick time with the new update. :thumbsup:

Recoilfx
Dec-04-2012, 14:20
The P-51 auto rads code is BROKEN. To run full tilt you must open the oil and water radiators manually.

Some say that you must first close the radiators first, then put them on auto - but the behavior is still not consistent for me. I just run it manually and keep tabs on the temps.

It's the only way you'd have a fighting chance against the AI.

ATAG_Torian
Dec-04-2012, 17:59
Ah thx Recoil, glad it wasn't just my engine (mis)management. Does seem to be ok in manual but just can't tell how far open or closed they are as there is no indicator.

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-04-2012, 18:27
This is great input -- thx, guys. I've updated to the current version , but only did some touch 'n goes to verify the sim was still working. Noticed that take offs are a little more straightforward, I'm not taking a side trip through the local McDonald's drivethru on my take off rolls. Hadn't experienced the overheat situation on autorad because my flights were too short. Not to mention my CoD-induced paranoia flying the Spits in that immediately upon wheels up I'm hauling back on throt and prop to bring boost and rpms down into the green.

Obviously I need to put some stick time into this. :D

Recoilfx
Dec-13-2012, 14:15
Any one up for a p-51d night?

Dutch
Dec-13-2012, 15:07
I'll fly the A-10, if that's any use. :D

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-14-2012, 09:50
Any one up for a p-51d night?

Oops, missed this!

A big YES!!

A qualifier: I need to put some (lots) offline time in first. I've shot the guns, dropped some bombs, fired some rockets -- it's great! :thumbsup: But I'm still working on key/axis assignments on my HOTAS, and I can confidently say that right now I am grossly incompetent with this sim. :D I need a lot of stick-time on this before I'm willing to venture online.

There are so many things that impress me with this sim -- the overall graphics, the FM, the "feel of flight", the cockpit detail & complexity. It doesn't have the DM detail or DM graphics of CLOD, and obviously not the gameplay (for me, anyway -- I'm a BoB fanatic). But wouldn't it have been interesting if DCS had bought the rights to CLOD.

I know some kicked at the thought of paying $39 per airplane, and that's understandable for the many that enjoy flying all types offered in a sim. For myself, I've settled on my first love, the Spitfire (and the Hurricane if no Spitties available -- it's an easy transition). But imagine if DCS offered a FW190? And threw in a Western Europe map for giggles? Whew!!!! :stunned:

Recoilfx
Dec-14-2012, 09:55
Let's all try to meet up tonight then. I will try to be on 8-9pm US eastern time. Even some formation flights and landings should be fun.... I havn't messed much with the mission editor yet, maybe there is a vanilla mission where we could do some strafe runs with both A10s and P51. Heritage flights baby! :)

ATAG_Deacon
Dec-14-2012, 10:37
It seems like I might have to pick up DCS P-51 for myself for Christmas this year :D

Sounds like you guys are going to have a fun filled night!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-14-2012, 10:39
The pressure! THE PRESSURE!!!!! :stunned:

:geek:

OK, I'll try to grab an hour this afternoon to work out some basic key assignments. Maybe even fly the damn thing so I'm not swapping ends on take off, at least! :D

I'll be on TS shortly after 9 pm EST tonight.

Recoilfx
Dec-14-2012, 11:23
Yo-Yo just posted this, coming to the P-51D soon:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.eagle.ru%2Fshowthread.php%3F t%3D98902&act=url

They are modeling the whole electrical system.. Down to the battery charge/dischage, and soon the the strength of the light on the bulbs... oh man.. it's crazy...

Dutch
Dec-14-2012, 11:52
I've never been online with the A-10, so where do you meet up? Which server etc?

Sorry chaps, I'm a total noob with DCS online.

ATAG_Septic
Dec-14-2012, 11:54
This sounds fun, I only have the a10 and black shark but will patch up and try and learn some basics :)

Septic.

Recoilfx
Dec-14-2012, 20:09
I'm waiting at TS!

Dutch
Dec-15-2012, 07:29
I'm waiting at TS!

Gaaah, sorry man, I was lured to the land of Nod by a highly persuasive she-vixen. :D

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-15-2012, 11:07
I didn't get to TS until 9:30. Spent several hours on it earlier, assigning various view, flight control, and weapon functions to my HOTAS. Encountered a "mouse bug" that took a long time to kill. Had a look at the MP section -- not sure how it works.

Sorry I missed you on TS. I flew P51D Single Player "Instant Action" missions to get a bit of familiarity with the sim. I find it very challenging with lots to learn. Then joined the boys on ATAG for some awesome dogfighting over Dover. :D

EDIT: oops, meant to add this fix I found by searching the DCS P51D forum. It seems to be quite common.

11-16-2012, 01:01 PM #35
red_FoX

Reputation power: 0

So...this is working to me to avoid mouse focus problem:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
2. Find "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" and stop service
3. You can set Startup type option to Manual or Disabled to avoid this service starting after reboot

You wont have Aero effects anymore, but mouse will work properly into sim.
Haven't noticed any other effects to my system so far.

I hope DCS will solve this problem in next patch.

Recoilfx
Dec-15-2012, 18:52
That's fine! I had a blast making my own simple missions. Did 15m/s cross wind take offs and landings and briefs dog fights with some dudes.

Don't know about the mouse bug, never had a problem with it, other than that DCS looses focus of input devices at mission start, i just had to switch out and back into the program.

ATAG_Torian
Dec-15-2012, 19:13
Srry I missed ur post about a P51 session. I have made a small DF server mission with some AI to shoot at if nothing else to do. Only problem I am having is dreadful fps hit when engaging enemy AI. Seems like the pc is struggling to render what I would consider a reasonable scenario. I get the impression it is also struggling to render the 50cals streaming out of guns...AI or my own at times. I do have graphical settings maxed out but my rig should handle it al no probs. Guess I'll test it out with a few less AI and see if it improves.

Maler
Jan-14-2013, 09:21
Hi guys. Take this opportunity to spread the skins for duels Mustang.
Do you happen to collect up a server for the P-51?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWF0eihKg8&feature=share&list=FLlPd4h1Kq4RZ6T04LNvezVg

Download http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/264434/

Unzip the folder in ...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\P-51D

ATAG_Torian
Jan-21-2013, 19:28
Hi Maler, thx for the link to the skins. That will make identification a lot easier.
ATAG doesn't host a server but some of the guys have hosted a DF map on their own pc. I've done it a couple of times but haven't had any1 join tho I am in a non-prime time zone (Australia).
I amuse myself by throwing in some AI to shoot at as well but it seems putting in a few AI gives a big fps at times when engaging.

[MORK]Dedagain
Oct-03-2013, 15:46
Hi,
I am working my way through the campaign missions and getting stuck on the take off and navigation and land mission.
I get through quite a few navigation points but end up either crashing or force landing in the mountains (not fun in the fogg).
I can't seem to get enough power to reach the highest green gate and either burn out the starter or loose control reaching for the gate.
Any help with this mission would be gladly accepted. Cheers Steven.

Recoilfx
Oct-03-2013, 16:14
Is the engine dieing like a sudden pop? If so, it sounds like you don't have full fine pitch. High Manifold Pressure + less than full fine pitch kills the engine really really fast.

If you hear a rumbling noise before the engine dies, then you are over heating you engine. Do a slower climb so that enough air goes through the radiators, and watch the engine temps closely. In those missions, sometimes you have to a do a shallow, wide spiral climbs to reach those gates.

[MORK]Dedagain
Oct-03-2013, 16:26
Thanks for the reply ,have been trying slow corkscrewish climb will just have to stick at it.

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-03-2013, 16:30
Open up both rads fully and set your engine to 2600 and 46". Shouldn't have to watch the engine temps too closely then. The gates at 15000 and 20000 are the two hard ones. For the 15000 gate try to climb at around 2000 feet per minute on your VSI. Do a climbing circle if you can't make the gate in a straight run. The second stage of your supercharger should kick in around the 16000 feet mark but it's still tough to make that 20000 gate the first time so you might have to go around or give it a bit more power for a short while. After that it's plain sailing to get through 25000 and 30000. The final hard bit comes at the end with the landing in the crosswind.

The mission in the campaign is a harder climb than usual. Probably weather conditions play a part. Usually it's pretty simple to get up past 20000. I can get up to about 42k with enough time and effort and I've seen others higher.