PDA

View Full Version : Desktop microphone advice please

PreyStalker
May-07-2017, 08:25
Hi guys,

I'm having issues with people not being able to hear me properly on Teamspeak.

I don't like playing with earphones because I need to hear other things going on at home or chat to someone occasionally while playing.

I have game sound and Teamspeak coming through my tv speakers, while I speak into a Speedlink lapel microphone clipped on my chest, under my throat. Mic boost is set to max in Windows audio settings.

I'm guessing that the game sound may be muffling my voice so I'm considering buying a better desktop mic that I can point toward me and away from the tv.

Do any of you use desktop mics or are you all using gaming headsets ? Everybody else sounds fine on Teamspeak....

:(

Some advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ATAG_Lewis
May-07-2017, 09:12
Most folks use headsets...Either 'Over ear' (which makes it difficult to hear anything outside of the PC) ,'On Ear' (usually smaller and allow ambient sound in which would probably be better for you) or 'Closed Back Over-Ear' (same as 'Over Ear' but allowing even less ambient sound in)....I have not heard of anyone using 'In ear' or 'Bud' headphones for CLOD and TS..

Here is an informative webpage with different Headphone types...Bear in mind that a 'Headset' is the same as a set of 'Headphones' with simply a mic attached to them...

http://theroundingsound.com/different-types-of-headphones-explained/

I think a lot of folks use the 'On Ear' type of headset if they want to speak to folks in their homes too....Many folks on TS suddenly spark up a conversation with their family members and I'm guessing they use 'On Ear' headsets like I do...

I have heard of some folks using an external speaker and a table mic before but there are issues with them...The mic often pics up the game sound and sends it back to the PC in a loop...like feedback which is not good...The other thing about a desktop mic is that they are made differently to Headset mics in that they pick up more ambient sound...Unlike a headset mic which is localised to only pick up sound within a short distance from itself...if that makes sense...

Here is the ATAG forum 'Headset thread'...Will show you what other folks play with and recommend

Headset Thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18299&highlight=headset)

Using a desktop mic and a speaker will be a tricky set up to get working correctly....Your mic needs to be no where near your speaker or it will feedback...and your mic is probably going to have to be set low and close to your mouth too....

The other alternative is a 'Headset Mic' (Just the mic that loops around your ear that doesn't have headphones)...made to pick up your voice when it is only a couple inches from your mouth...That may work for you..

My advice would be that if you want to still use a desktop mic and speaker to experiment without much expense...You can get cheap desktop mics and try one...You don't want to be spending lots of money to find out that the system is too hard to set up...But if that doesn't work then the next option would be a 'Headset Mic'....and if that doesn't work then get an 'On Ear' headset...

...Lew...

ATAG_Highseas
May-07-2017, 09:19
Hi guys,
Do any of you use desktop mics or are you all using gaming headsets ? Everybody else sounds fine on Teamspeak....

:(

Some advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I use a desk mic.

Blue Snowball. (There are two variants that look identical one is good. The other is excellent)

I play in headphones. Without headphones i get hideous feedback when using Teamspeak. Not sure why. Possible the proximity of the mic to my speakers.

I could experiment with positioning if you like and confirm.

Edit:

Seems i only get hideous feedback when in the teamspeak test page.

Will confirm tomorrow.

Its a good mic. Three settings. On is directional so focuses on strait where it is pointing. One is surround so will pick up everything in the room... and one is for recording music for when you are laying down metallic unplugged cover tracks.

directional is probably what you are after!

PreyStalker
May-07-2017, 12:36
Thanks guys,

Really good info there.

I've got an old headset mic that's broken so i'm going to try attaching the lapel mic to it. Might be better if it's closer to my mouth, we'll see.

Otherwise, a proper headset mic or a cardioid (directional) desktop mic, like the Blue Snowball, will be on my wishlist.

Appreciate your help

:thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
May-07-2017, 14:04
Blue snowball is great if you need to record a guitar... or want to record a room of folk.

And obviously serves as a good all rounder.

A call centre.... erm i mean.. gaming headset is definatly the most cost effective if you are just concerned with gaming. Even more so if you have a side line in pedalling double glazing.

BOO
May-07-2017, 15:27
... or want to record a room of folk.

And therein lies the problem with desktop mics (even cardioid) when the family/extraneous noise sources are feet away. Great for you - bad for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in the game and not your family conversations/TV viewing/arguments...

When you have choices in the kit you use (some don't and that's fair enough) the consideration of the enjoyment of those you play with should be one of the factors used in deciding what kit is best for the job.

Yours

The PTT fascist

ATAG_Highseas
May-07-2017, 16:42
And therein lies the problem with desktop mics (even cardioid) when the family/extraneous noise sources are feet away. Great for you - bad for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in the game and not your family conversations/TV viewing/arguments...

When you have choices in the kit you use (some don't and that's fair enough) the consideration of the enjoyment of those you play with should be one of the factors used in deciding what kit is best for the job.

Yours

The PTT fascist

Yeah, i do know what you mean.

Desk mic for me. But I'm strickly push to talk.

And I dont push to talk if there is anyone else in the room. I mostly fly when everyone else is tucked up safe.

Funniest thing ever was when there was an almighty crash of plates from somebodys kitchen a t leas a room away.... and the distant expletives.

hahah !!!

sometimes the break in immersion is soooo worth it.

PreyStalker
May-07-2017, 17:15
It's the heavy breathers that make me laugh...

It's like having Darth Vader on your team sometimes.

Don't worry Boo, I use push to talk too

:)

Baffin
May-07-2017, 18:58
I have found that just about any decent "Headset" microphone works well in TeamSpeak. Placement is the key... "Kiss the mic" is the advice that always comes to mind in that you should be able to touch the mic with the side of the mouth when you purse your lips. Otherwise, the noise cancelling feature can not discriminate your voice from ambient sounds in your "Cockpit".

Some of these mics have a headband or you can mount them to a visor/Ball cap with needle and thread. I've tried freestanding desk mics with no success. In all cases, use the "press to talk" feature to avoid unwanted transmissions. :lala:

Mine is similar to this... just ignore the headphones:

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=121852176481&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps