PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about skinning in IL2 CloD

SPITFIREPILOT
May-10-2017, 17:39
Hello,

As mentioned in my previous 'Hello All' post, I come from a game titled "War Thunder" which also has a skinning element. However I thought there wouldnt be much of a difference however I was wrong. This is a list of things War Thunder has in skinning:

PBR Textures
High-Poly Models
Ability to use any size skin you like (514pixels to 64k is how high its possible performance wise)
Colour file, Colour file damage, Normal File, Normal File Damage
BLK (Tells the game what file is what and what it does)
UV Mapping (Vertices on models to find the edges of things easily)
DDS and TGA format file saves

I would like any skinner from IL2CloD to tell me what is diffrent and how, so I can get to grips with what I think is a very diffrent system.

Cheers,

SPITFIREPILOT

TWC_Mackers
May-10-2017, 20:45
In ClOD, it's simply a .jpeg file - the rest is set by Team Fusion within the game (any and all lighting settings/models/etc).

It can be tough if you are trying to re-create the exact colour from real-world colours into your skin. The game shows something not quite the same. This is trial and error.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=16274.0 (scroll down to post #3 from 'CheckMySix'. These are the ClOD templates. The layers make skinning extremely simple.

I hope this helps chap.

♣_Spiritus_♣
May-10-2017, 22:32
The lack of PBR is CLoD's biggest graphic/dating issue. We are discussing implementing PBR in the future but it would be a massive undertaking.

High poly models... there is no point in having a model that is 100k tris compared to one that is 40k tris with the same detail. CloD IMO has the best balance of all the flight sims, we have good models and are able to have 100+ players online with thousands of objects on the map.

The only file you have access to is the M-diffuse which is the skin, that is a 2k file. Overlays, normals, specular, alpha, so on you don't have access to.

UV unwrap texture files I believe have been posted here, search around or someone might know but I remember seeing someone having at least a few posted here.

SPITFIREPILOT
May-11-2017, 02:48
Thanks, I'll have a look at the templates and have a go myself!

♣_Spiritus_♣
May-11-2017, 07:51
https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22920