335th_GRAthos
Dec-11-2012, 02:08
Just to have in this forum, too

Original post: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=36078

sYk0
Hi everyone,

Edit (20/Nov/2012):

Quote:
Please find the download link(s) for the Windows® 8 fix at the bottom of this post (this is where you'll find any future updates, if any).
If you have any queries you are more than welcome to PM me.

Original Post (19/Nov/2012):

Quote:
This is my first post on these forums so I'd like to say hi to everyone.

It's worth nothing that I don't play "IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover" (don't judge me, it's just not my type of game).

Anyway, my friend approached me with a issue at the end of last week regarding "Cliffs of Dover", that it was not playable under Windows® 8 so I said to him I'd have a look at it for him (I finally got around to it yesterday evening).

Good news, I have managed to get it working under Windows® 8.
When I say working I mean to the point where the game says "Steam must be running to play Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover.", this is a lot better than crashing silently to the Desktop (since I don't actually own the game I will not proceed beyond this point).

I'm just waiting on my friend to get home this evening (GMT+2) to test that the game does in fact run correctly, after he confirms this I'll release the tool to the masses.

Watch this space, hopefully you'll be back up in the sky in a few short hours.

Link(s):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74194854/CloDer_v0.0.0.1.7z

MD5: C629779081C61029EBE562F4A329FCC8

MD5: 4AE9679F235DDDEA269656C3DCABEB1B (attached .zip)

For more information regarding this fix please read the enclosed readme ("CloDer_Readme.txt").

~S~

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-11-2012, 10:34
Thanks, Athos! :thumbsup:

Although Win8 was not received well in the CoD community because it would not initially run our sim (without the fixes in your link), there are two aspects to Win8 that intrigue me:

1) the ability to utilize up to 512 Gigs of RAM (vs the 16 Gig max my Win7 Home Premium allows), and

2) it appears that Win8 enables better utilization of all cpu cores in CoD. I don't have any data, but surely this would provide better overall performance?

ChiefRedCloud
Dec-11-2012, 11:11
The file doesn't seem to be avaible?

ATAG_Torian
Dec-12-2012, 04:58
File is no longer available. Maybe it didn't work when he got his friend to test it.

335th_GRAthos
Dec-12-2012, 13:01
The Dropbox link is not working but, the attached file in the original post in the 1C forum does :thumbsup:

Actually, it may be a good idea to post the file in this forum, too. Not wanting "to paint the devil on the wall" (old german proverb...) but no one knows what will happen to the 1C forum COD area on the long run...

~S~

TonyD
Jan-11-2013, 07:56
File is no longer available. Maybe it didn't work when he got his friend to test it.

Hi all, first post here :)

I'm the 'friend' he mentioned, and it works very well. The only change to the normal start-up procedure is to run the executable provided instead of the link in Steam, although Steam obviously has to be running at the time.

Snapper - I did find an improvement in performance with Win8, but probably mainly due to my cpu (Bulldozer). In Win7 I had installed the MS 'hotfix' that fools it into believing that I had a HT processor, resulting in non-ideal load distribution. Win8 correctly identifies my cpu, with CloD utilising all 8 cores correctly - this results in a slight improvement in benchmark (BlackDeath) frame rates, but higher average fps in-game with less fluctuation.

If the link sYk0 provided no longer works, contact me and I can get it to you some other way - it's only 35KB.

Edit: I might mention that I haven't been able to get '46 working in Win8, although admittedly I haven't tried too hard or researched the issue yet

alexmcpad1827
Feb-15-2013, 12:15
Right i need help with this
basically ive been trying really hard to work this patch but it just wont so it, my PC wont let me copy paste the files and it wont run the exe. launcher in the fix
can someone plase give me some detailed instructions in how to get the patch working :S
many thanks!

TonyD
Feb-16-2013, 14:31
Hi Alex

Your anti-virus is most likely not allowing you to extract and copy the files you require. There are only two files needed: CloDer.exe and CloDer.dll, the third is a Read me that is not required. The files are not digitally signed and can therefore be misdiagnosed as a possible threat, which they are not.

Depending on which AV you use, you will have to add them to an exclusion list (perhaps more than one) to allow you to extract, copy and run them. Once you can, copy the two required files to the game directory (--\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover), create a shortcut to CloDer.exe for your Desktop, and run this when you want to play. Steam has to be running when you do this, but dont launch the game in Steam or it wont work.

CloDer.exe is a launcher (CloD launcher) that bypasses a security issue that Win8 has with the way that the Steam launcher works. I use the AV that comes with Win8 which doesnt have a problem with it, so I would assume that its your AV causing the hassle.

alexmcpad1827
Feb-17-2013, 02:57
Hi Tony

yeah your probably right about the AV software i have ( McAfee)
one more thing, how do your create a shortcut that is directed to SteamApps>Common>IL2 ?
Many thanks for your help so far!

alexmcpad1827
Feb-17-2013, 03:14
I also forgot to mention, i have a problem as it wont start the exe. file

TonyD
Feb-17-2013, 12:20
Alex: it can be a bit of a pain to exclude what you need, and I dont have McAfee, but their website (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50998&pmv=print) suggests the following:

1. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
2. Right-click On-Access Scanner and select Properties.
3. Click All Processes, Detection, Exclusions....

You then have to enter the file name you want excluded. Id try the following name: CloD*.* (without quotation marks, if it adds them then thats OK). This will exclude the original downloaded compressed folder and the extracted files. Then simply extract them to the game folder, or to another folder and copy them to the game folder. Both CloDer.exe and CloDer.dll must be in the same folder for it to work.

To create a shortcut, right-click on the CloDer.exe file in the game folder that you have pasted there, and select copy. Go to your Desktop, right-click and select Paste shortcut. You can then right-click and rename the shortcut to anything you want. To run the game, make sure Steam is running, and click on this shortcut on your Desktop.

alexmcpad1827
Feb-17-2013, 13:07
Tony,
I got that done but the CloDer.exe still wont run, i click on it and nothing happens :/
If you can help with this then tha would be great but to be honest it seems to be a lost cause
thanks for all the help anyway!

TonyD
Feb-17-2013, 15:32
Alex, what happens if you right-click on CloDer.exe and select 'Run as administrator'? Is CloDer.dll in the same folder as CloDer.exe? Is Steam running when you do this?

alexmcpad1827
Feb-18-2013, 03:47
wow.. that actually worked, your a bloody genius thanks! :D

alexmcpad1827
Feb-18-2013, 03:58
ah.... one last thing, how do you change the settings outside the game as ive just gone and changed the settings, it asked for a restart to apply them and so it wont start again, is there some file i could go in to change it?

TonyD
Feb-18-2013, 06:16
Hi Alex

Yes, thats one problem with using another launcher to run the game. The simplest solution is to merely run the launcher again when it needs a restart, since the game launcher wont work. The settings that you have changed are saved when the game exits, so running it again after it exits will work the same as the game restarting itself.

You can edit the ini files manually, but this can be a bit complicated and its easy to make a mistake. You can have a look at them in your Documents\il2 cliffs of dover\ folder theres a conf.ini file that has the game settings, and a confUser.ini file with user-configured settings. If you make a tax-up editing these, you can delete them and the game will re-create them from copies in the game folder, or you can use the verify game cache files in Steam to re-create them.

alexmcpad1827
Feb-18-2013, 08:23
ok, thanks!

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-18-2013, 10:57
Just a big thanks to you gents for this thread. It's hard to find a ready-built PC in retail stores that doesn't have Win8 pre-installed. This will soon be a major issue for all of us at some point. :thumbsup:

alexmcpad1827
Feb-18-2013, 12:30
^^ I second that!

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Sep-29-2015, 21:12
Giving this a bump.

One of our guys is having issues with Win 10.

This fixed it for me.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-21-2015, 20:43
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=file&fileid=207

I added the file to our downloads section I couldn't run CloD for a long time before I stumbled upon this fix. Also updated the "master crash fix list" sticky post because it seems to be a common error

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Oct-01-2016, 00:01
Wow almost exactly a year later I needed this again.

Weird.

Anyway, I had a Witcher 3 crash at the same time as a Windows update and it gave me a System 32 error. Long story short I have a fresh and clean install of Windows 10.

Cloder.exe is still needed to launch the game. I just had to drop the files into my Cliffs folder. Tomorrow I'll reinstall the mod and see how she goes.