PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity to Expand the CoD in a New Direction in TF 5.0-Capturing/Flipping Fields

ATAG_SKUD
Jun-17-2017, 05:14
Now that we are getting a contiguous arena enabling land approaches to enemy airfields we will have the ability to clear out an enemy's defenses by air and drive ground forces (tanks) on to the field. Now if a way were to be made to switch the field to the advancing side, capturing the airfield, launch aircraft from it then advance to the next airfield we could set a linear set of objectives to win the map. Maps could be made where a team could spawn tanks (AI or manned) at points along the line then punch holes in opposition forces with tanks. Opposing forces seeing the dust columns approaching the fields would be obliged to launch bomber attacks against the spearhead which in turn are defended by the advancing sides fighter cover. I have always wished for a more dynamic ground game in COD that will inject a little more strategy, coordination and maybe a bit more time into it instead of all the action being in the air and the ground being static.
Thoughts?

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-17-2017, 06:11
World of Tanks guys would rejoice ... I think.

Great ideas Skud :thumbsup:

ATAG_SKUD
Jun-17-2017, 09:16
Its really just my selfish desire to blow up tanks on the ground. Remember 1946 and the HS-129 with the 75 mm cannon? Muahahah! :devilish:

TWC_Fatal_Error
Jun-17-2017, 09:19
http://twcclan.com/campaign-server/ exactly what you asked for

Cassius
Jun-17-2017, 09:40
Is that Campaign are already started?

TWC_Fatal_Error
Jun-18-2017, 05:09
Not officially but we need people testing out various parts like bomber objectives for both sides There are some crazy things that happen and I would like to have them (semi-) under control before we go full blown but this is a squad style scenerio. I need squads coming in and trying to accomplish the objectives listed in the briefing for now. All help is appreciated in this so come on in cass and bring some friends.

We have for both red and blue, 1 time per hour a mission will be listed in the briefing both for fighters and bombers to try and accomplish.If blue out performs red in the accomplishment of the missions then the map advances if not the reds hold what they got and the map stays the same.

there are 30 possible missions that are randomly chosen from so the play will never be the same twice! visit the twc site and forums to find out more about the server and what we are trying to accomplish (to have a simulation of war that is not over complicated).

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-18-2017, 09:55
Wow! Fatal, this FANTASTIC!!!!

Your Campaign page has just become my newest "favourite"! :thumbsup:

Congrats on a wonderful project.:salute:

ATAG_((dB))
Jun-18-2017, 13:25
Oh yeah this is gr8 news. Please Fatal keep us in the loop

ATAG_SKUD
Jun-19-2017, 05:48
Thanks Fatal ...this looks pretty cool. I'll have to try it soon:salute:

gonk
Jun-19-2017, 06:49
Wasn't the old Flying Circus game similar... I think you had to bomb all the hangars to neutralise the airfield... than land a pane to take control.. or something like that... well that was over 20 years ago.. so a little rusty on the exact details. But this game style sounds good to come back around.. :thumbsup:

Cybermat47
Jun-19-2017, 08:16
I think it's a good idea, especially with the Tobruk map on the way.

By the way, you're real?!

http://i.imgur.com/QsHzw1J.jpg

SIA_Sp00k
Jun-19-2017, 08:57
Wasn't the old Flying Circus game similar... I think you had to bomb all the hangars to neutralise the airfield... than land a pane to take control.. or something like that... well that was over 20 years ago.. so a little rusty on the exact details. But this game style sounds good to come back around.. :thumbsup:

Simguilds Flying Circus. Damn. Suprised any of us are still alive.

ATAG_Ribbs
Jun-21-2017, 14:22
This is EXACTLY what I want to see as well. Even if it was kept that simple. The Campaign could go alot deeper in details..but for a server like ours ,this would be perfect!. I think with the desert theater this would be amazing, seeing all the found units rolling across the desert towards the next town. :)

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Jun-21-2017, 22:25
Now that we are getting a contiguous arena enabling land approaches to enemy airfields we will have the ability to clear out an enemy's defenses by air and drive ground forces (tanks) on to the field. Now if a way were to be made to switch the field to the advancing side, capturing the airfield, launch aircraft from it then advance to the next airfield we could set a linear set of objectives to win the map. Maps could be made where a team could spawn tanks (AI or manned) at points along the line then punch holes in opposition forces with tanks. Opposing forces seeing the dust columns approaching the fields would be obliged to launch bomber attacks against the spearhead which in turn are defended by the advancing sides fighter cover. I have always wished for a more dynamic ground game in COD that will inject a little more strategy, coordination and maybe a bit more time into it instead of all the action being in the air and the ground being static.
Thoughts?

This is one of the best if not THE best suggestion I've read on the game. IS this possible to do already by map makers?

TF 5 has me reading up on the Desert Rats. I'd love to smash a Jock Column or a Rommel raid.

IIJG27Rich
Jun-23-2017, 04:00
It all sounds awesome to me fellers

Bonditaria
Jun-23-2017, 07:30
I'll be happy to have more ground action in this sim!

Many people who have noticed that houses sometimes disappear when a player controls a Tank or Artillery or Vehicle online.

This is not a bug, it is a feature of the game.
Hello

This is unfortunately a feature of the game which was added to save Framerate... players were not initially intended to man vehicles.

So all the buildings etc. disappear when only vehicles are present.

We would like to fix this for TF 5.0... but for TF 4.5 I would doubt we have the time.

As a mission builder I usually placed an unarmed 'ACE' quality Tiger Moth over the area where human operated vehicles would likely be... It will circle there. If no one shoots it down, (and that is hard to do if it is ACE level) then buildings etc. will be visible to human operated vehicles.

I have made a Feature Request in the TF Bug Tracker requesting adding the new feature that the houses etc. do not disappear.

If you agree this new feature would enhance your enjoyment of the sim, please go to the bug tracker and UPVOTE this Feature Request! https://www.tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/864

Thank you for reading this post, only the brightest would even be able to understand what is going on here, but you are wonderful people and very respectable. UPVOTE!

Snapshot
Jun-23-2017, 09:12
I think the capture/flipping of fields is an awesome idea! This will surely intensify the fighting and create more focus on each side. Will items that have been destroyed have a rebuild time or will the defending side have to transport in supplies to rebuild such items (similar to Aces High).

There are a few other things that I would love to see such as a realistic supply affect (Visible supply (trains and convoys) that can contribute to the actual ammunition, fuel, repair status of each sides items. Supply depots that can be destroyed that will have a regional effect, things along those lines). Maybe something like this is already set up and I just don't know about it or see it.

No.401_Wolverine
Jun-23-2017, 10:23
Thoughts?

EDIT: I realize now that the OP is talking about North Africa and its lack of towns/rivers/etc. that would get in the AI units way. This post mostly refers to attempting these sorts of campaigns on the Channel Map.

This has been done in the past with CloD and people are still trying it now (TWC's is an example). The main issue with these sorts of campaigns is that the ground unit AI is unable to cope with the ground terrain. Due to the number of rivers, towns, bridges, etc etc on the map, the AI ground units at this current state of development will regularly get caught up and be unable to complete tasks.

We had a working campaign model for this sort of thing about two and a half years ago but abandoned it after our testing due to the above reasons. Tanks attacking airfields, supply columns resupplying, supply trains moving between sectors, etc etc. The ground units simply can't cope with that kind of complexity. They really are basically point A to point B along a major road/track with no bridge at this time. So we moved to static positions of ground units to minimize the bugs and errors while still allowing for capturing positions. The towns would actually end up fighting each other ANYway because the large AA units would fire on enemy units if the town was close enough. They could even capture towns and airfields on their own!

Another reason why AI is so so important to fix for CloD to truly shine. I suppose you could do player manned tanks for this, but I don't know how you'd get enough people willing to drive tanks the distances needed in the numbers needed for it to be any fun at all.

Where is the note about 'contiguous arena enabling land approaches to enemy airfields'? I'd like to read about that. EDIT: Ahh I think he means the new North Africa terrain simply being 'river and bridge free'. Our original code for the Channel map could probably just be dumped onto a North Africa map and have this ready to go....