PDA

View Full Version : My very first mission for COD: "Attack on Lympne"

Poltava
Jul-28-2017, 18:12
I'm an old hand at modded "IL-2 1946" (a game I truly love), and some of you might be familiar with my work there. But this is my very first attempt at mission building for "Cliffs of Dover", so don't expect too much! I'm still learning the ropes, but truly hope to improve, and to eventually advance to some real stuff, perhaps even make a campaign or two ...

"Attack on Lympne" is a single player mission, set in mid-August during the Battle of Britain 1940. The Kanalkampf is over, and the Luftwaffe has started to attack RAF airfields inland. Today the Luftwaffe has staged a large number of attacks on inland targets, close to the coast. Now it's late in the day but the fighting is still not over. RAF Lympne is about to be clobbered ...

The mission has originally been designed for you in the role as a Bf 110 "Zerstörer" pilot, and if you fly in that manner you will start on the ground, on a populated airfield. But as we all know, in "Cliffs of Dover" single missions you also have the possibility to fly with other squadrons instead (Luftwaffe or RAF), as long as they are using flyable aircraft.

You can download it here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads5&file=details&id=270

You will find install instructions in the download.

Constructive criticism is always welcome - but please be gentle, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Cliffs of Dover! :salute:

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jul-28-2017, 18:19
Welcome, glad to have you around and making missions already. If you run into issues, just ask, or search the scripts thread here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Bonditaria
Jul-28-2017, 19:56
Thanks Poltava.

Flew a Hurricane from Maidstone airstart out to Deal then south around the coast. Met a huge crowd of JU-88's mid-channel. Got fired on by 110's. Made it back to Maidstone with 5 kills and no damage. 31 minutes.

Would fly this single mission again!

My frame rate dropped a lot during the main battle between the Hurries and the bombers when all the gunners started up but it was still playable.

At first I was confused with the mission name. It appears in the game single mission list as "Attack on Lympne", but the file I downloaded was called "Lympne Attack" and that was what I expected to see in 'single missions'.

Carry on!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Lewis
Jul-28-2017, 20:00
Great initiative Poltava...thanks buddy for the mission...~S~

I spent many years in IL2 1946 so I came from the same place as did many others...Its a shame that some of that community have not yet found CLOD...Hopefully they will...Spread the word...~S~

DerDa
Jul-29-2017, 04:53
Hi there,

I enjoyed many of your missions and campaigns in Il2 1946. Thanks for that!
Although in CloD I fly almost exclusively online I certainly will try your mission.
Hope to see more :salute:

DerDa

Cybermat47
Jul-29-2017, 07:41
Loaded it up for a quick peek, looks good :thumbsup:

When I get a chance to play it properly, I'll give you a more in-depth review :salute:

1lokos
Jul-31-2017, 23:51
I take a look in the mission (autopilot, accelerating time) some observations:

Bf 110 takeoff nicely, hampered by the broken spline lines that make then despawn and respawn in taxi - what is game engine issue, not mission issue. Since CloD ground handling is very poor - avoid that player plane need do taxi, this is headache, specially for more casual SP player.

Ju-88's keep good and nice formation, but don't drop bombs in Lympne.

The only planes that I see engaging enemy was BF 110's, they engage Defiant's. But Defiant, Spit, Hurri, Bf 109 just fly through waypoint's.

Dover barrage balloon's apear at ground level, set their height in Properties > Z Offset.

Don't use boat small than Fishing Boat in missions, all small boats (e.g. Motor Boat) has broken "FM" and do weird things, e.g. some "fly", some became "submarine".

Poltava
Aug-30-2017, 18:02
Thanks for the feedback! I will try and fix it. As I mentioned: this is just me learning the FMB, and also getting to know the quirks (and bugs even) of the current version of ClOD. And looking forward to the ones if the future.

Regarding the boats: now I understand all the problems I've been having with my "Convoy Peewit" missions ...

Keep up the excellent work here! :salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-30-2017, 19:04
I take a look in the mission (autopilot, accelerating time) some observations:

Bf 110 takeoff nicely, hampered by the broken spline lines that make then despawn and respawn in taxi - what is game engine issue, not mission issue. Since CloD ground handling is very poor - avoid that player plane need do taxi, this is headache, specially for more casual SP player.

Ju-88's keep good and nice formation, but don't drop bombs in Lympne.

The only planes that I see engaging enemy was BF 110's, they engage Defiant's. But Defiant, Spit, Hurri, Bf 109 just fly through waypoint's.

Dover barrage balloon's apear at ground level, set their height in Properties > Z Offset.

Don't use boat small than Fishing Boat in missions, all small boats (e.g. Motor Boat) has broken "FM" and do weird things, e.g. some "fly", some became "submarine".

We have fixed landings and taxi for TF 4.5... should be no more aircraft running off the airfield and crashing. ;)

1lokos
Aug-30-2017, 19:08
That good news.

But from SP perspective that broken "spline road'" need be fixed, this cause that a IA planes taxing despawn and respawn some meters ahead, weird to see. :doh:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-30-2017, 19:11
Thanks for your support of the game. :thumbsup:

I would like to mention once again:

TF is willing to partner with people who can build professional level campaigns.

We can release these through 1C as addons to the game and the persons who create them could participate in revenue share. ;)

I'm an old hand at modded "IL-2 1946" (a game I truly love), and some of you might be familiar with my work there. But this is my very first attempt at mission building for "Cliffs of Dover", so don't expect too much! I'm still learning the ropes, but truly hope to improve, and to eventually advance to some real stuff, perhaps even make a campaign or two ...

"Attack on Lympne" is a single player mission, set in mid-August during the Battle of Britain 1940. The Kanalkampf is over, and the Luftwaffe has started to attack RAF airfields inland. Today the Luftwaffe has staged a large number of attacks on inland targets, close to the coast. Now it's late in the day but the fighting is still not over. RAF Lympne is about to be clobbered ...

The mission has originally been designed for you in the role as a Bf 110 "Zerstörer" pilot, and if you fly in that manner you will start on the ground, on a populated airfield. But as we all know, in "Cliffs of Dover" single missions you also have the possibility to fly with other squadrons instead (Luftwaffe or RAF), as long as they are using flyable aircraft.

You can download it here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads5&file=details&id=270

You will find install instructions in the download.

Constructive criticism is always welcome - but please be gentle, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Cliffs of Dover! :salute:

Poltava
Aug-31-2017, 04:03
Thanks for your support of the game. :thumbsup:

I would like to mention once again:

TF is willing to partner with people who can build professional level campaigns.

We can release these through 1C as addons to the game and the persons who create them could participate in revenue share. ;)

Well, as mentioned I'm an old missionbuilding hand on the IL-2 1946 platform, and would really love to do some high-end campaigns for ClOD as well. (The game is making immense progress, and I'm really looking forward to 4.5, not to mention 5.0.) I still have a lot to learn, but I hope to get there eventually! :thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-31-2017, 04:54
That good news.

But from SP perspective that broken "spline road'" need be fixed, this cause that a IA planes taxing despawn and respawn some meters ahead, weird to see. :doh:

Yes we know about this too... some of it is just the problem the roads are designed for all aircraft types... and the big bombers can't get through the gaps in the hangers or into the hangers themselves, so there is this despawn and respawn. We need to program these bigger aircraft to park on the field. But this won't happen till TF 5.0.

SD_MBen
Aug-31-2017, 14:32
Well, as mentioned I'm an old missionbuilding hand on the IL-2 1946 platform, and would really love to do some high-end campaigns for ClOD as well. (The game is making immense progress, and I'm really looking forward to 4.5, not to mention 5.0.) I still have a lot to learn, but I hope to get there eventually! :thumbsup:
Sounds good!
If you can go for a Gladiator campaign?
Ben

Poltava
Aug-31-2017, 15:38
Sounds good!
If you can go for a Gladiator campaign?
Ben

If I just really get the hang of it, but of course!

I have built many campaigns for old IL-2 1946, and made a point of doing them for a large variety of aircraft. And one of my personal favourites is set in North Africa in 1940, featuring the Gladiator, who was used initially in penny-packets but still with great effect against the Regia Aeronautica when they started their ponderous offensive against the British there. In Europe, meeting the 109, it was pretty obsolete, but it could really hold its ground in North Africa against the CR.32 and the CR.42. :wings: