PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hendon Museum Visit

MightyBouff
Aug-05-2017, 17:14
Hey all,

Today Snoop Hogg and I visited RAF Hendon Museum. I've added all the pictures to an imgur album if anybody is interested. I think they are in the right order, I tried to take a photo of the information card before the plane, but missed some (like the Lancaster). My knowledge of early jets is also terrible so they might be out- corrections more than welcomed.

http://imgur.com/a/ylD6z

We also visited the Fleet Air Arm museum, I've not uploaded those pictures yet so will make another album for them.

If anybody is in or near london I'd really recommend a visit to RAF Hendon, it is free to get in! They are undertaking quite a lot of work at the moment ahead of the centenary next year, they will have a whole hangar dedicated to the Battle of Britain!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Aug-05-2017, 17:51
Excellent pictures. :thumbsup:

Wonderful place to visit I am sure... I intend to drop by when I visit Europe my next time. :D

ATAG_Vampire
Aug-05-2017, 18:12
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I particularly like the ones of the Beaufighter TFX (Tor beau).

The RAF Museum is a unique place and great to visit. As it is the 100th Anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force next year there will be a lot of things going on to celebrate it, not just at Hendon.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

DD_Crash
Aug-06-2017, 07:06
Their museum at Cosford is also well worth visiting. There is a TSR-2 Ki-100 Ki-46 Me-410 and much more.

MightyBouff
Aug-06-2017, 08:43
The RAF Museum is a unique place and great to visit. As it is the 100th Anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force next year there will be a lot of things going on to celebrate it, not just at Hendon.

Yes they mentioned that they are preparing everything for next year so I'll be making another visit then! I managed to get off with only spending £125 in the gift shop as well, I now have a really nice print of two spitfires signed by some ww2 pilots. Once I've got it framed I'll post up a picture and the information card on the pilots.

ATAG_Marlow
Aug-06-2017, 13:17
Hey all,

Today Snoop Hogg and I visited RAF Hendon Museum. I've added all the pictures to an imgur album if anybody is interested. I think they are in the right order, I tried to take a photo of the information card before the plane, but missed some (like the Lancaster). My knowledge of early jets is also terrible so they might be out- corrections more than welcomed.

http://imgur.com/a/ylD6z

We also visited the Fleet Air Arm museum, I've not uploaded those pictures yet so will make another album for them.

If anybody is in or near london I'd really recommend a visit to RAF Hendon, it is free to get in! They are undertaking quite a lot of work at the moment ahead of the centenary next year, they will have a whole hangar dedicated to the Battle of Britain!

Thanks for sharing MightyBouff! These are fantastic pictures and reminded me of many happy hours visiting one of the best and most important aviation museums in the country. I keep meaning to visit Cosford but haven't got round to it yet. Fortunately, I am quite familiar with Duxford. Let's hope these wonderful places always have the funding to keep going!

I especially enjoyed the pics of the Beau' (quite a big aircraft really?) and the Beaufort. Incidentally, I finished reading a great book that featured the Beaufort a few months ago and I am not getting rid of the copy. It was called 'The Last Torpedo Flyers'...The true story of Arthur Aldridge - Hero of the Skies.' The blurb on the back says: quote:

'In 1940, 19 year old Arthur Aldridge had quit his studies at Oxford to volunteer for the R.A.F. In World War two, our torpedo pilots were sent on missions so dangerous they were later likened to kamikaze. Some pilots felt they had accepted certain death just by climbing into their cockpits. For the next two years he flew his Bristol Beaufort like there was no tomorrow, sinking enemy ships from Malta and denying supplies to Rommel's forces in Africa. Aldridge and his fellow squadron member Bill Carroll are two of the last torpedo airmen left alive. They deserve their place in history alongside our heroic Spitfire pilots. Their action-packed story vividly captures the comradeship that existed between men pushed by war to their very limit.'

I thought it was a great book and a fascinating read. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of meticulous mission planning followed by hour upon hour of low level flight, skimming the waves, before spotting the target dead ahead. Spot on navigation! How did they do it? Salute! :thumbsup:

BOO
Aug-07-2017, 13:08
meticulous mission planning followed by hour upon hour of low level flight, skimming the waves, before spotting the target dead ahead. Spot on navigation! How did they do it? Salute! :thumbsup:

Tab 7-1?

Cosford has grown into a very important museum in its own right now BTW