PDA

View Full Version : How much would it cost to get to Normandy...

IIJG27Rich
Sep-06-2017, 02:48
I was wondering how much it would cost from scratch to get to Normandy with a 109 K-4?

dix
Sep-06-2017, 07:02
The map + assets bundle is up at 60$, the K4 at 50$

dcs does many sales during the year, i'm not sure how much the 109's price goes down usually, the spit was discounted from 50$ to around 25$ in june, you can save a few bucks on the map aswell if you wait for sales

BOO
Sep-06-2017, 08:00
Wait for the sales

Normandy needs highish end gear to look well too. So a good GPU lots of RAM and of course infinite amounts of being willing to put up with stuff that's just plain not right yet.

Remember the Mantra - "Its an Alpha" - the tm catchphrase of DCS just as "2weeks be sure" is to CloD

IIJG27Rich
Sep-06-2017, 08:12
Yes this may be a bit of a problem..I've got a first gen i7 975 16 gigs of ram with only a 2 gig card. The card can be updated no problem the ram can go up to 24 gigs but I would have to get out of win 7 home and get something else because of the 16 gig restriction. All this works fine for CLOD and BOS though

BOO
Sep-06-2017, 08:31
Its worth having a look around the ED forums still. There are still grumblings about faults with the 109 (not as much as the Dora) but I found it a blast to fly around the Pre 2.1 maps in. Feels really weighted and solid.

As for 2.1 - it seems to run for many but for me..

My I5 6600K, GTX1060 6GB and 16GB of 3000 doofa RAM still hates the game if I try to attain anything approaching what id consider to be good graphical quality. And thats in SP quick launch missions.

Ive pursued every "I did this" thread I could find to no avail. Id hoped for a few more optimisation updates but they have been few and far between so far and the F18/Straits of Hormuz map seems to be priority (DCS=Jets - WW2 not so much for reasons various). I'm sure the OC I7 and GTX1080ti crowd are loving it more.

Anyhow before I get bashed for knocking DCS ill just say it has a lot of good points but "Caveat Emptor" and read the forums (if you can figure them out).

"Its an Alpha"

IIJG27Rich
Sep-06-2017, 09:46
Thanks for the info Boo.

dix
Sep-07-2017, 03:18
Yes this may be a bit of a problem..I've got a first gen i7 975 16 gigs of ram with only a 2 gig card. The card can be updated no problem the ram can go up to 24 gigs but I would have to get out of win 7 home and get something else because of the 16 gig restriction. All this works fine for CLOD and BOS though

you shouldn't have any problem, i've an i5 cpu, an ATI hd7790 graphic card, and 8gigs of RAM, and with everything on low i get 30-50fps on normandy

the real issue here tho is that if you're looking at DCS with hope, dont..

the map is incomplete, england looks awful, the dm is terrible, the servers are very unstable.. but mostly...there's very few people flying... you can get lucky and find a 10v10 battle on the BurningSkies server..but it's very rare for numbers to go higher than that...
there used to be more people flying when normandy wasnt out yet

and people is complaining about the 109, i mean...109 pilots are. spit\p51 pilot can hear a 109 getting behind them very clearly and break away without having any clue where the enemy is coming from, and there's some issue with the 109 cannon i think

it's not as bad as i'm picturing it, but it's something to take into consideration

EDIT:
jg27? is that a different JG27 than the one with davidRed that used to fly DCS? they were really good 109 pilots. you should ask them if you know any of them

IIJG27Rich
Sep-07-2017, 04:28
I'm pretty sure DavidRed is 9./JG27. Different squad.

MightyBouff
Sep-07-2017, 06:18
Yes this may be a bit of a problem..I've got a first gen i7 975 16 gigs of ram with only a 2 gig card. The card

In general, rather than specifically for DCS lack of system RAM won't be an issue if you are at 16gb. I'm on 64 bit win 10 and rarely use all 16gb. I do however use all 6gb of ram on my GFX card. I'm running an OC'd I7 4790k and an OC'd 980Ti and I'm looking at a full system rebuild soon when the new intel chips and the 1280 comes out (going to skip 1080TI).

dix
Sep-07-2017, 07:55
I'm pretty sure DavidRed is 9./JG27. Different squad.

yes sorry i could only remember "JG27" :recon:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Sep-07-2017, 14:52
They occasionally do sales that include aircraft+map. Wait for one of those.

The game isn't very populated, and WW2/Normandy is basically alpha access.

1lokos
Sep-07-2017, 15:23
Other than master the "clickpit" (easy) and takeoff and landings (not so much), no much to do in DCS Normandy. TL/TR the return is not proportional to money expended.

ATAG_Flare
Sep-07-2017, 19:41
I had a lot of fun on it.

For about two weeks. The fact is that it's a modern sim with WWII assets in it, the base technology and scripting is all for mach 2 jet fighters with 30mm gatling guns and guided missiles. The damage models are lacking, the AI is horrendous and it uses a simplified FM and a DM that makes World of WarPlanes look good.

It also needs a beast to run well, I could only get good performance on low-medium settings. (older i7 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 960 2GB.)

BOO
Sep-08-2017, 13:31
All in all then - if you are looking for a WW2 combat (as opposed to a sightseeing tour in a WW2 cockpit) experience - look elsewhere for the foreseeable and likely unforeseeable future.

Arthursmedley
Sep-08-2017, 15:43
Sightseeing tour in a WW2 cockpit?

At once Sir!:salute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1pkup_V24&feature=youtu.be

BOO
Sep-09-2017, 06:05
Sightseeing tour in a WW2 cockpit?

At once Sir!:salute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1pkup_V24&feature=youtu.be

Nice. Ive yet to fly the Ju52 around those valley whilst whistling the tune to Where Eagles Dare.....but I will

The BOS team got it all wrong tho it seems -

The map came out on time

It works well even in early release

There are aircraft to fly in it

The aircraft fit the period

The shadows don't kill too many computers

The sea has a texture (fancy that, a sea with waves)

...............................I dunno what they were thinking.................as a flight sim community we DEMAND fubar!

Whilst MP in BOS still isn't a favourite of mine - I think the game and Devs have done an incredible job!