PDA

View Full Version : Paint jobs on the ATAG server, what people see.

Archwarder
Sep-18-2017, 19:56
I don't use any custom paintjobs (skins) when flying except those that came with the original product.

I see that there are quite a few options for the Luftwaffe and very few for the RAF.

My question is that when I select a particular squadron for the markings as well as have the corresponding paint job for that squadron, the people flying with me see my plane completely differently to how it looks to me even though Im using stock paintjobs.

I was made aware of this when I formed up with somebody and they said I had yellow wingtips (something I specifically didn't want.)

So it seems that the server has a default paint job for each plane in game so my question is which paint job should I select in game so that I'm seeing my plane as everyone else is seeing it.

ATAG_Lewis
Sep-18-2017, 23:43
Which aircraft is it you want to know?

You'll have to be specific because I don't know of anyone who knows them all...The best way would be to ask a buddy and spawn in on the same airstrip to see what they are 'wearing'...then you can check it out and let us know...A lot of them are very similar too...

Archwarder
Sep-18-2017, 23:57
Well when I fly the 109 of any type I change the paint job to one that doesn't have the yellow/white wing tips and I'm only using what came with the game.

It seems however that each aircraft has a default skin that everyone sees regardless of the regiment paintjob you apply.

I will post a screenshot when I can but it may be a while as my PC is currently out of action.

BOO
Sep-19-2017, 03:58
Ive never found the "Default" version of the 109E skin in the selection windows for the E4.

I'm not sure if the skins didn't get Fubar'd in one of the TF updates. Sure someone said that they did.

In terms of having those obvious yellow wingtips in the main server though, its not too great a disadvantage IMO - Tab 7-1 will pick you out if you are flying around alone and the overall colour scheme/shape of the aircraft is usually enough to id you. In a furball, when things are up close, the lighter sides of the 109 and the yellow may even help you avoid Friendly Fire. And given it doesn't take much more than one well aimed cannon shell or a quick burst with those MGs to really ruin your day, this is probably a good thing.

If you are worried about the yellow tips giving you away when you are on the deck, again ive rarely, if ever, spotted a 109s by its wingtips. The dark outline from a distance and the simple effect of moving pixels seen in the corner of your eye is enough. Once spotted, the outline is plenty to id the aircraft type. If I'm close enough to see any yellow, ill already know its a 109.

And you are right - changing the paintjobs doesn't work. Even if the paintjob changes in the viewer when you select a regiment you will only see the makings and emblems in game.

In the past, other servers have used the in game skins to add some "colour" to their AI but this caused some stutter I think.

Regards

BOO

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Sep-19-2017, 06:50
Whatever Bf 109 variant you will chose you will get always the default skin with the yellow nose ( you will see displayed the skin that you have selected but all the other players will see always the yellow nose default one) The only exception to this is when you select the Bf 109 E-1

BOO
Sep-19-2017, 08:43
...except that it isn't the default skin shown in the viewer. That has a full yellow rudder whereas the in game skin has a yellow flash just at the top of the rudder. But for all intents and purposes, other than that, its the same.....

EDIT - THIS ISNT CORRECT, BOO

1lokos
Sep-19-2017, 08:53
Whatever Bf 109 variant you will chose you will get always the default skin with the yellow nose ( you will see displayed the skin that you have selected but all the other players will see always the yellow nose default one)

What is no bad thing at all, avoid you see things like in il-2:46

https://s26.postimg.org/sei7twkuh/Hello_Kity.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Or Japanese planes with swastika, etc, etc. :dazed:

BOO
Sep-19-2017, 09:24
....but a few different "official" skins would be nice....though not BOS "official" I mean correct for the period and theatre official....no stars and bars..

They are there already but if they cant be accessed in MP without stutter or opening up the server to offensive skins then its a shame but understandable.

One of the things that always drew me to the LW aircraft was the field application of non standard paint, especially as 1940 wore on.. Its as a big a deal to me as any of those clever arguments about some miniscule FM feature that no-one really knows anything about.

Ah well - time to done another factory fresh 109....

IIJG27Rich
Sep-19-2017, 11:32
I have an awesome Halloween one for 2001 IL-2 witch also works in 1946

major_setback
Sep-19-2017, 13:34
Thanks to everyone for outlining details of when and how this issue happens.
The more information we get, the better chance there is of this issue being addressed.
Cheers,
major_setback (TFS)

BOO
Sep-20-2017, 05:56
I stand corrected. As Molders says the skins are the default ones shown in the viewer. When the Default skin AND "German fighter NONE" is selected in the regiment.

To get to what you see in the ATAG server game with markings in the viewer....

keep the SKIN as default

select a REGIMENT, squadron and numbers, the skin in the viewer will have altered camo. Choose the regiment of number style you want- ignore the camo.

select the "German Fighter None" in regiment, the markings remain but the camo reverts to default. Click OK - This is what I think others see you as in game.

EDIT - I also have just noticed that, if you select "German Fighter NONE" as the regiment, if you have the Swastika Enabler, it wont show the symbol in the viewer. The symbol is only shown (in the viewer at least) when you select a regiment other than "German Fighter none. I do not know how this affects the in game view for sure but, given what ive seen, I think you will only see the symbol on those aircraft when players have selected a regiment other than "German Fighter None"

A NOTE ON MARKINGS

If you try to add an aircraft number to the "German Fighter None" without first choosing a regiment - it wont let you. It also wont let you remove the markings from the "None" skin. Presumably this is because it doesn't recognise its existence. You can only do this by selecting another regiment.

This is what I think are the ATAG server defaults for the 109s

E1 - mottled, no yellow
E1B - Plain, yellow nose and rudder
E3 - Plain, yellow Rudder Flash, Yellow wing and Stabilizer flashes
E3B - Heavy Mottle, yellow rudder, Yellow nose 3/4
E4 - Mottled, Yellow Rudder, 3/4 yellow nose
E4B - As E4
E4N and De-rated - Plain - Yellow Rudder, Full Yellow Nose.

S!

BOO

PS -110 skins are a mystery - all I know it that the Swastika doesn't show on the fighters, only the Zerstoyers and not on the II ZG76 regiment at all. As for the rest , given that there is no "German Zerstoyer NONE", I do not know what ATAG selects or doesn't or if things like the spinner colours or the ZG26 White noses show up in the server.