PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Issue

TWC_Trooper
Oct-06-2017, 00:10
I have a problem that is baffling to me. I am getting random right rudder snaps while in CoD. Let me elaborate: while flying in Cod (or on the ground) my rudder will randomly snap full right for a second or two (only right, never left). I tested it out in 46 and do not seem to have the problem. I have CH Pro Pedals which are only a couple of months old. Anyone else ever have this problem or hear of it ? I have not been let down before by this knowledge base at ATAG, please don't start now ! LOL

Vlerkies
Oct-06-2017, 02:46
I have a problem that is baffling to me. I am getting random right rudder snaps while in CoD. Let me elaborate: while flying in Cod (or on the ground) my rudder will randomly snap full right for a second or two (only right, never left). I tested it out in 46 and do not seem to have the problem. I have CH Pro Pedals which are only a couple of months old. Anyone else ever have this problem or hear of it ? I have not been let down before by this knowledge base at ATAG, please don't start now ! LOL

First thing to do is open your windows usb controller and make sure that the rudder input is not spiking
Eg this is just testing toe brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqtcLOc9lzk

You can even perhaps run your game in windowed mode at a knock down resolution with the tester running on the desktop, perhaps record the desktop to video, and when it happens see if the rudder spiked.

Other than that make absolutely sure you dont have a key binding conflict somewhere in the controls thats initiating the rudder input.

ATAG_Dave
Oct-06-2017, 04:34
another thing to check is that you dont have a controls conflict. so having set your pedals up in the Axes tab of the controls, go to the Keys tab of controls and ensure there is not a key also assigned to rudder

S!

MightyBouff
Oct-06-2017, 08:15
Interestingly my rudder shows up in windows as if it's a joystick rather than as a rudder seen in the picture above. It works fine in TARGET. Might have to have a mess around.

Vlerkies
Oct-06-2017, 11:27
Might have to have a mess around.
Don't scratch what doesn't itch bro. 'flight simming 101'.
:salute:

TWC_Trooper
Oct-06-2017, 11:39
another thing to check is that you dont have a controls conflict. so having set your pedals up in the Axes tab of the controls, go to the Keys tab of controls and ensure there is not a key also assigned to rudder

S!

Yessir, that was the first thing I checked. No conflict.

Vlerkies
Oct-06-2017, 11:47
Yessir, that was the first thing I checked. No conflict.

Now and again i find my rudder is jammed one way or the other. This is not normal but happens during a frantic fight and I notice it way more when I am trying to extend away (read as run away) and get max speed. I put it down to just plain 'plane' abuse :) A quick flik on the pedals centers it again. Keep your eye on the ball from time to time.
It doesn't sound like the issue you have though.

If there are no conflicts in the settings then you need to try and identify when it happens as per the usb game controller setting. If that is consistently smooth then we need to dig a bit deeper.
Make sure there is no spike in those pedals

:salute:

edit: if you can maybe upload a short clip to youtube or something showing the issue I am sure that could help in the troubleshooting.

TWC_Trooper
Oct-06-2017, 12:40
Thank you all for your input. I did some troubleshooting with Tech Support from CH Products and they've determined that it is a failure in the pedals themselves. They will be repairing under warranty so I will be grounded for a couple of weeks :sobbing: I will see you then and thanks again ! Great community !

1lokos
Oct-06-2017, 12:42
Interestingly my rudder shows up in windows as if it's a joystick rather than as a rudder seen in the picture above. It works fine in TARGET. Might have to have a mess around.

Nothing wrong with you rudder, probable are using Windows default HID drivers, in the video the (fubar'ed) Saitek pedal are using custom drivers, hence the names.

For games don't matter the name or axes, you can hook a rudder pedal in you joy X axis and will work OK (My VKB T-rudder unique axis is X), or for example use that "twist axis" of "3in1" sticks for external throttle. Is matter of assignment.

1lokos
Oct-06-2017, 12:53

Although your CH pedals are new, CH Products have a flaw that can cause issue in out of box controller, their wire connections in potentiometer is not welded, but use this kinb of connectors:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/6-3mm-Electric-Connector-Plug-Socket-Spring-Terminals-Line-Sheathed-Tinned-With-Jacket-For-Electric-Car/32758126397.html?spm=a2g03.10010108.1000017.2.61b6 5e4clLSfVp

As curiosity a old "Internet legend" say that this connector is used for allow USA users exchange potentiometer without need use solder iron, and so don't risk burn their fingers and sue CH "one million dollar"~ (https://jeffrose-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241.jpg). :D

The thing is this connector can present bad contact and cause spikes in potentiometer response.

Test in Windows games controllers, if are OK the second probable culprit is CloD "default controls" assignment - that has has two different joystick axis assigned, command conflicts, unnecessary assignments... in short, typical "It's CLoD!".

Erase all unused assignments, eg. keys arrow for fly the plane in KEYS tab and all axis that not from your controls ins AXES tab.

Vlerkies
Oct-06-2017, 13:06
Thank you all for your input. I did some troubleshooting with Tech Support from CH Products and they've determined that it is a failure in the pedals themselves. They will be repairing under warranty so I will be grounded for a couple of weeks :sobbing: I will see you then and thanks again ! Great community !

Glitchy new hardware is always annoying, most so for the delays it presents in getting addressed, not because of the hardware folks, just time involved in shipping and processing.

Anyway, glad you have some resolution in sight. It does not explain why you did not see this in '46 though.

TWC_Trooper
Oct-06-2017, 14:03
Glitchy new hardware is always annoying, most so for the delays it presents in getting addressed, not because of the hardware folks, just time involved in shipping and processing.

Anyway, glad you have some resolution in sight. It does not explain why you did not see this in '46 though.

Yes, weird I didn't see it in 46 but I did see the spikes in the CH Manager Calibration so ............................ I don't get it. I will try what 1lokos said though before I send them in.

TWC_Trooper
Oct-06-2017, 14:09
Although your CH pedals are new, CH Products have a flaw that can cause issue in out of box controller, their wire connections in potentiometer is not welded, but use this kinb of connectors:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/6-3mm-Electric-Connector-Plug-Socket-Spring-Terminals-Line-Sheathed-Tinned-With-Jacket-For-Electric-Car/32758126397.html?spm=a2g03.10010108.1000017.2.61b6 5e4clLSfVp

As curiosity a old "Internet legend" say that this connector is used for allow USA users exchange potentiometer without need use solder iron, and so don't risk burn their fingers and sue CH "one million dollar"~ (https://jeffrose-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241.jpg). :D

The thing is this connector can present bad contact and cause spikes in potentiometer response.

Test in Windows games controllers, if are OK the second probable culprit is CloD "default controls" assignment - that has has two different joystick axis assigned, command conflicts, unnecessary assignments... in short, typical "It's CLoD!".

Erase all unused assignments, eg. keys arrow for fly the plane in KEYS tab and all axis that not from your controls ins AXES tab.

Yes, I tested in Windows Game Controllers and it is spiking.

MezzA
Oct-07-2017, 07:12

i had this effect with a twist grip stick its was the sensor causing the issue so i feel your pain and know how frustrating it is. glad your able to get it fixed under warranty.