PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update 12/21/12: No-sunglare-in-the-propeller mod

Mattias
Dec-21-2012, 06:28
Hi!

I don't know about you, but I really dislike when the propeller turns milk white just when I'm about to shoot...
I think I managed to get rid of this effect:
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/PropMod_zpsc66753fc.jpg

Is this of some interest or am I the only one bugged by this?

Just need some more testing.

TheVino3
Dec-21-2012, 10:13
Surely its realistic though? Im only guessing of course, as ive never been in one.

Mattias
Dec-21-2012, 11:31
Surely its realistic though? Im only guessing of course, as ive never been in one.

I'm not sure since I never been in a one-engine plane IRL, but I have heard people that have complain about this on the banana forum.
Surely the effect must be overdone at least, if not I can't figure out why attacking from the sun was a popular tactic...sure the enemy can't see you but that is to no avail if the attacker can't see the enemy :)

Cheers/m

ChiefRedCloud
Dec-21-2012, 11:42
It's real ...... but each to his/her own .... as for the Bannana forums, some of those fine folk could complain the paint off the walls .... whether they were justified or not is not my call.

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-21-2012, 11:53
This is great, Mattias! :thumbsup:

I hope this can be incorporated in an ATAG "mod package" at some future date.

ATAG_Slipstream
Dec-21-2012, 14:22
It is realistic, and it adds balance, ie: The enemy can't see you in the sun & you have to work harder to avoid getting into a position where sunglare causes you a problem with seeing the enemy.

I personally would not like this taken out of the game. A server side switch would be a better option.

Mattias
Dec-21-2012, 14:30
Thanks for the feedback :salute:

I've started working on a mod just reducing the sun glare, hopefully making everybody happy.
Some sun glare might be realistic and it certainly looks impressive, but I still believe the original effect looks like someone attached really wide mirrors on the propeller blades :laugh:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/PropMod2_zps9efb9c51.jpg

Cheers/m

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-21-2012, 14:32
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Mattias is referring to the propeller disk "whiting out" when you have the sun behind you. ie the REFLECTED sunglare off the back of the propellor. Maybe I'm wrong here. I wouldn't want the actual sunglare reduced where you're looking up in the sky searching for the enemy.

Mattias
Dec-21-2012, 14:43
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Mattias is referring to the propeller disk "whiting out" when you have the sun behind you. ie the REFLECTED sunglare off the back of the propellor. Maybe I'm wrong here. I wouldn't want the actual sunglare reduced where you're looking up in the sky searching for the enemy.

Thank you for clarifying that Snapper -Yes, I'm talking about the reflected sun in the propeller (when you have the sun at your 6), where I doubt that an IRL painted and sometimes wooden propeller is that reflective. Every other aspect of the sun and what it does to other surfaces remains unchanged :)

BTW, I found the thread that inspired me to try and mod this. If you believe IvanK's RL experiences the propeller reflection/white effect is overdone:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=32234&page=7

Cheers/m

philip.ed
Dec-21-2012, 14:50
The reduced effect looks excellent.

Mattias, are you using sweet-fx or any other type of post-processing tool with CloD? As the colours in your pictures look so vivid, I'd love to try your settings out.

ATAG_Slipstream
Dec-21-2012, 16:44
I agree that the reduced effect looks great. I'm just against removing it completely.

I've seen this effect while flying with the sun behind me in a piper cherokee, Though admittedly its more like your new texture, a faint halo and not so strong as the original texture.

Ivan's prop is painted matt black, I have no idea what color the cherokee's was.

But it does beg the question, how were BoB aircraft propellers painted?

Jaws
Dec-21-2012, 22:30
There are very few instances when you can see some reflections off your prop and only if you actually look for it. It was a bullshit "fix" they threw in a hurry. It has nothing to do with the real world. You don't look at the prop, you look (your eyes focus) far beyond it.
Instead of removing it all together, I'd rather see the props in the very first version release, back in the game.

Mattias
Dec-22-2012, 05:47
Hi!

Now I've made 3 different mods; less reflections, just some reflections and no reflections:
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/PropMod3_zps071364db.jpg

Sending it to Bliss as soon as I have tweaked all the different propeller types :salute:

Cheers/m

Mattias
Dec-22-2012, 05:55
The reduced effect looks excellent.

Mattias, are you using sweet-fx or any other type of post-processing tool with CloD? As the colours in your pictures look so vivid, I'd love to try your settings out.

Hi Philip!

I'm using injFX (NVIDIA FXAA 3.11) and although the colors might be a bit cartoonish for some peoples taste, I feel happy flying with it :)

I have attached my settings (please note that you have to change the extension from ".txt" to ".h")

Cujo
Dec-23-2012, 04:03
Thanks for the feedback :salute:

I've started working on a mod just reducing the sun glare, hopefully making everybody happy.
Some sun glare might be realistic and it certainly looks impressive, but I still believe the original effect looks like someone attached really wide mirrors on the propeller blades :laugh:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/PropMod2_zps9efb9c51.jpg

Cheers/m

Excellent. Looks like modding has begun. :thumbsup::)

Wolf
Dec-23-2012, 06:31
I gather you are using FAA to remove the glare. You can remove it direct by fiddling with the 3 different propeller folder types. In each there are about 12-17 prop wash files for different stages of it spinning.

Mattias
Dec-23-2012, 08:08
I gather you are using FAA to remove the glare. You can remove it direct by fiddling with the 3 different propeller folder types. In each there are about 12-17 prop wash files for different stages of it spinning.

Hi Wolf,
Thats the files I'm playing with (in $core\3do\Plane\Detail\Prop\)

Tweaking FXAA for this purpose would cause too many unwanted side effects I think.

I just uploaded the mod to yousendit so you can try it yourself:
EDIT: I just realized this thread is public so I removed the link... you can find the link in the section "Forum: Mod - Effects (visual and sound)"

Cheers
/m

Wolf
Dec-23-2012, 15:21
Hi Wolf,
Thats the files I'm playing with (in $core\3do\Plane\Detail\Prop\)

Tweaking FXAA for this purpose would cause too many unwanted side effects I think.

I just uploaded the mod to yousendit so you can try it yourself:
EDIT: I just realized this thread is public so I removed the link... you can find the link in the section "Forum: Mod - Effects (visual and sound)"

Cheers
/m

Good job Buddy!

Mattias
Dec-23-2012, 15:30
Thanks Wolf! :salute:

Gromit
Dec-29-2012, 06:36
you do get some reflection off a prop, they painted them matt black for a reason you know, but I have never been in an aircraft with more than two blades so maybe more blades = more reflection?

Catseye
Dec-30-2012, 18:10
Hi!

Now I've made 3 different mods; less reflections, just some reflections and no reflections:

Sending it to Bliss as soon as I have tweaked all the different propeller types :salute:

Cheers/m

Hi Mattias:
Excellent work!

From my experience in flying small aircraft, the "some reflections" comes closer to what I've experienced when the sun is six o'clock'ish. I think that they have way overdone the prop reflection thingy. If it was like this in RL, there would surely be a lot more incidents caused by prop sun-reflection issues. Then again, the flat black prop is supposed to eliminate this with only the yellow tip creating a small blur at the outer tips of the prop arc.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

Tonester
Dec-30-2012, 19:15
EDIT: I just realized this thread is public so I removed the link... you can find the link in the section "Forum: Mod - Effects (visual and sound)
/m

Where is that?....or do i not have acess to that?

cheers....ps...top work btw

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Dec-31-2012, 16:48
Where can this be downloaded? I know a few in my squad would like to try it out.

sfuchs
Jan-03-2013, 11:54
Hello Mattias,

that looks great, I would like to go with a reduced effect. Unfortunately I am unable to find the link, too. Is it perhaps an area with restricted access?

Happy new year by the way!

Gorgon14
Jan-03-2013, 19:58
X2

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-03-2013, 20:30
It will be part of a patch. Patience gents :)

Gorgon14
Jan-04-2013, 07:16
Ah so! :salute:

skouras
Jan-04-2013, 09:16
nice....:thumbsup:

Silver
Jan-12-2013, 03:50
nice work !

i am also eager to try this mod/fix

will it also reduce the annoying prop shimmer/blur effect that was introduced in the last few CoD patches ? this has been a major issue and significantly detracts from normal visibility. there have been extensive discussions on this in various forums, and the feedback from RL pilots (incl ivanK) concluded that it does not represent what you normally see in a single engine prop aircraft under normal light/weather conditions. would be great if this can be fixed

Punch
Jan-13-2013, 06:43
Nice work Mattias,
Can I just ask once you have edited the files with the help of kegetys.dll , do you have to re-pack into a .SFS to see your results in game??

Regards, Punch

Trying similar with the sight reticle...............think it looks to clean, not like a reflected image.

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/2a9fedbfb6124ffb8f675ce5b80e96a5e96f321ac7e85e9e02 d57f1e6231281a6g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?2or6428d0o0akct)