PDA

View Full Version : Corrections to the Damage Models - Oil, Water and Fuel - Just an insight

Mysticpuma
Oct-15-2017, 05:19
Copied from a previous post, thought it best to start it's own thread

Currently we are testing these corrections and additions to the damage models of the aircraft.

The Spitfire fuel tank rarely caught fire before, due in part to some coding errors. We have corrected this but also added the 3mm thick metal plate that surrounded the fuel tank which was also missing in the 3d model hitboxes (for the Ia/IIa). With these additions/corrections, you still shouldn't expect to see tons of Spitfires dropping out of the sky in massive balls of fire.

We also went through every aircraft's (flyable and non-flyable) oil and water systems and added missing elements. This is being tested but looks promising so far. There were a lot of missing elements of the systems for many aircraft. The Hurricane had a complete system, with all hoses, pumps, tanks, and rads having hitboxes. We used this as our game example when making additions to the other aircraft, which were done with aircraft blueprints, pilot manuals, and system schematics/diagrams.

A handful of aircraft had complete systems already, but quite a few needed major additions, including the Spitfire and 109. The list of aircraft that needed corrections/additions are:

Ju-87
Ju-88
He-111
Bf-108
Bf-109E
Bf-110
Do-17
Do-215
Fw-200
Spitfire Mks
Beaufighter
DH82 Tigermoth

Here are examples of the two most popular planes. Objects in blue are existing, objects in red have been added which were missing and now form complete oil/water systems.

Spitfire:

109:

Cheers, MP

DerDa
Oct-15-2017, 06:19
This sounds very promising.
Given that CloDs damage model is already the best on the market ...

Just an ignorant question, if anybody has time to answer:
Hurricanes, because of their construction, were thought to be less damageable by cannon shells than other (full metal) planes.
Is this reflected in their dm?

(Most probably it is and I just have to learn to turn in time ...)

S! and thanks

DerDa

Gromit
Oct-15-2017, 08:35
That's going to depend where you get hit, the only area of a Hurricane less susceptible to cannon fire is the rear fuselage, as it consists of steel tubes with thin wooden formers under a fabric cover there is less for a cannon shell to hit that will activate it's detonating fuse in theory, and there are records of 20mm passing clean through, however knowing how over sensitive early fuses were it would be more reasonable to suspect the ones that went straight through were actually AP rounds.

Kling
Oct-15-2017, 09:28
To quote on of our 3d modelers.
They can apparently really tell at what point the original developers started getting stressed to relase the game in 2011 by simply looking at the complexity of various models.

Tibsun
Oct-15-2017, 10:01
So Spit red tubings only and red tanks. Oil also connected with water rad?

109 red and blue tubings. Blue water and oil tank.

Gromit
Oct-15-2017, 10:26
coolers can use either air or water as the cooling medium, so it could be oil to air or oil to water, dependant on the type.

Vlerkies
Oct-15-2017, 10:31

MP post, red bits are being added whic were missing from existing blue bits in the cooling systems.

Objects in blue are existing, objects in red have been added which were missing and now form complete oil/water systems.

Akula93
Oct-15-2017, 10:37

Regarding blue and red parts on picture its like they say in update, "Objects in blue are existing, objects in red have been added which were missing and now form complete oil/water systems."
I see Vlerkies was faster :)

And no, oil and watter lines and tanks on Spitfire picture are not conected, angle of picture makes it look like that. Its separate and its entering engine, no logic in them being connected with each other.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-15-2017, 11:51
What Akula said, the angle of the screen grab makes it kinda look like that. If you zoom in you can tell they aren't connected.

Oil and water hoses, tanks, and pumps were usually the main missing elements.

Tibsun
Oct-15-2017, 13:17
Regarding blue and red parts on picture its like they say in update, "Objects in blue are existing, objects in red have been added which were missing and now form complete oil/water systems."
I see Vlerkies was faster :)

And no, oil and watter lines and tanks on Spitfire picture are not conected, angle of picture makes it look like that. Its separate and its entering engine, no logic in them being connected with each other.

Ah I see, I confused the red and blue part in the OP, in my head I read red as allies and blue as axis aha

Hans Luchs
Oct-15-2017, 18:15
Hello good friends, first of all I'm glad that everything continues as well but I need you to solve a doubt.

I think the circuit is not well done, because the oil cooler is not connected to the oil tank of the nose and the water radiators are not connected to the coolant deposits because they are not even drawn (red circles)
I would like to be explained because it is so.

I attach some schematics of the two systems,sorry these photos are from K4 but systems that are exactly the same in all 109

oil system
http://i64.tinypic.com/25u4rhk.gif
http://i65.tinypic.com/2iiikc0.jpg

water/glycol system
http://i68.tinypic.com/107t25h.gif
http://i63.tinypic.com/25pstoz.gif
http://i65.tinypic.com/20th6b5.png

and only one question more...the yellow circle...what is these?

thank you for your patient

we are looking forward to more news and thank you so much for your work

Regards from Escuadron69

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-15-2017, 18:40
Oil tank is in your yellow circle. These schematics are from the E variants.

Oil:

Water:

Hans Luchs
Oct-15-2017, 18:54
Thank you mate,i was confused

Regards

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-15-2017, 18:58
No worries. The hitboxes can't be too complex with curves or too many objects because it adds to the overall poly count. And some shapes have to be "close" because the game won't accept shapes that have interior angles, which is why the water tank looks slightly different than what is in the schematic.

:salute:

X-Raptor
Oct-15-2017, 19:08
Copied from a previous post, thought it best to start it's own thread

Currently we are testing these corrections and additions to the damage models of the aircraft.

The Spitfire fuel tank rarely caught fire before, due in part to some coding errors. We have corrected this but also added the 3mm thick metal plate that surrounded the fuel tank which was also missing in the 3d model hitboxes (for the Ia/IIa). With these additions/corrections, you still shouldn't expect to see tons of Spitfires dropping out of the sky in massive balls of fire.

We also went through every aircraft's (flyable and non-flyable) oil and water systems and added missing elements. This is being tested but looks promising so far. There were a lot of missing elements of the systems for many aircraft. The Hurricane had a complete system, with all hoses, pumps, tanks, and rads having hitboxes. We used this as our game example when making additions to the other aircraft, which were done with aircraft blueprints, pilot manuals, and system schematics/diagrams.

A handful of aircraft had complete systems already, but quite a few needed major additions, including the Spitfire and 109. The list of aircraft that needed corrections/additions are:

Ju-87
Ju-88
He-111
Bf-108
Bf-109E
Bf-110
Do-17
Do-215
Fw-200
Spitfire Mks
Beaufighter
DH82 Tigermoth

Here are examples of the two most popular planes. Objects in blue are existing, objects in red have been added which were missing and now form complete oil/water systems.

Spitfire:

109:

Cheers, MP

WOW!..WOW..!WOW..!..
Those are very, very good founding and solving TF Developers have done!!:salute: I wish very strongly this bug-solved into the planes involved will be present into 4.5 patch.This will add very strong playing immersion and I'm immagine beatiful graphic improvements in FX hit effects.
:recon:

IIJG27Rich
Oct-15-2017, 20:41
Don't see the one radiator for the Spitfire? If the fuel tank isn't in the picture then yes I see what you mean.

rel4y
Oct-16-2017, 08:25
Awesome! The DM of CloD is miles above the rest already and it will only get better. :) Will you guys also include the fuselage armor/ bulkhead of Bf 109 E-4s in the 4.5 patch?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-16-2017, 09:04
Don't see the one radiator for the Spitfire

What do you mean?

BOO
Oct-16-2017, 09:09
Don't see the one radiator for the Spitfire

What do you mean Rich? The spit image shows the rads in blue and the newly added items in red. Or are you referencing something else?

Regards

BOO

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-16-2017, 09:23
Awesome! The DM of CloD is miles above the rest already and it will only get better. :) Will you guys also include the fuselage armor/ bulkhead of Bf 109 E-4s in the 4.5 patch?

The 109 fuselage deflector plate is installed and tested.

ATAG_Scones
Oct-16-2017, 12:35
This is delightful news indeed.

Thanks for posting, Mysticpuma; and keep up the good work TF.

Could someone tell me if there will ever be working navigation lights?

:salute:

Archer99
Oct-16-2017, 13:04
This thing just gets better and better. It still amazes me that we can hit individual oil/fuel/water lines.
Great to see what's possible now the code is available.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-16-2017, 13:14
Could someone tell me if there will ever be working navigation lights?

Hopefully, it is on our list.

ATAG_Scones
Oct-16-2017, 16:35
Hopefully, it is on our list.

That's great.

I think it's amazing how such a simple feature can aid in our sense of immersion.

IIJG27Rich
Oct-17-2017, 02:03
What do you mean Rich? The spit image shows the rads in blue and the newly added items in red. Or are you referencing something else?

Regards

BOO

Well isn't the big blue box in front of the pilot the fuel tank for the Spitfire?

ATAG_kiwiflieger
Oct-17-2017, 03:00
Well isn't the big blue box in front of the pilot the fuel tank for the Spitfire?

Large blue box is the water radiator and the cylinder to the left is the oil rad.

Looks like the red pipes are the water and oil lines - interesting that the Spit didn't have these. Also looks like oil and water header tanks are being added.

Way to go TFS :salute:

BOO
Oct-17-2017, 05:11

Rich its not in front - look at the image again - its in the wing position. Its just the way the view is rotated

IIJG27Rich
Oct-17-2017, 05:13
Large blue box is the water radiator and the cylinder to the left is the oil rad.

Looks like the red pipes are the water and oil lines - interesting that the Spit didn't have these. Also looks like oil and water header tanks are being added.

Way to go TFS :salute:

Okay but you have to have a fuel tank too right?

ATAG_Dave
Oct-17-2017, 07:37
Okay but you have to have a fuel tank too right?

I think the thread was to show the oil and water systems - not the fuel systems?

Bussard
Oct-17-2017, 08:26
I think the thread was to show the oil and water systems - not the fuel systems?

No the fuel system is not visible. The fuel tank in the Spit is in front of the pilot. In the 109 it is placed under and behind the pilot seat.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Oct-17-2017, 08:37
This just shows the oil and water systems.

Bussard
Oct-17-2017, 09:04
How long does it take for engine to stop in case of water line damage? And is it always fatal?

IIJG27Rich
Oct-17-2017, 12:36
Alright just oil and coolant...Gotcha :salute: