PDA

View Full Version : il2 skinner wishes to skin COD

dog1
Oct-24-2017, 06:35
hello
i have COD since a year now and with the upcoming update 5.0 i wish to skin here as well . I have 1 years intensive experience skining and template making 1024 and 2048 res (not HD) with IL2 series but i do not know how to make HD templates or skins for this sim so i'm looking for templates and basic tutorial to start practising . cheers

major_setback
Oct-24-2017, 07:47
These are the official templates (see link).
- In order to make them multi layered you need to create your own layer for each colour of the camouflage (use masks and it will be easier to make corrections).
- Rivets and panel lines are added by the game. No need to make them.
- Certain parts of the aircraft are locked so you can't paint them (inside of flaps, undercarriage, tyres)
- A lot of trial and error is needed to achieve passable colours. Colours will not look the same in-game as they will in Photoshop (etc.). If you lighten or darken a colour in Photoshop then it will change hue/colour when loaded in-game, so again a lot of trial and error is required.
- Colours work differently on each aircraft type, so once you have found a colour that works it will only be applicable to one type (though Spitfire and Hurricane have similar colour), so you need to re-do the colours from scratch when each aircraft type is skinned.. you can't just copy colours that worked well on another aircraft type.

Official single layered templates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wot35qmq36in4ou/templates%20both%20types%20zipped.zip?dl=0

Forum member CheckMySix / KeefyBoy has made multi layered templates. You might find these useful:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=707488

Cheers, major_setback

BOO
Oct-24-2017, 07:56
Hi, there are no templates available to users for Hi -Rez (4096) skins. 4K is not likely to happen to clod for the foreseeable future. Users have no access to the normal maps or alpha maps, only the actual colour layers.

Below is a good source for 2048 templates. Keefy (Checkmysix) put them together and they are layered. They work in PS and in Gimp.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=16274.0 --- look at the third post.

Finally, with 4.5 coming out soon, some colours are likely to change a little in game. Best to wait until it is out before working too long an a masterpiece. Also note that some colours that look correct on one model don't look right on another.

The best thing I can suggest here is to wait until you can access some of the default skins in 4.5 that Major Setback has produced and sample the colour tones off them as a starting point.

Regards

BOO

dog1
Oct-24-2017, 09:48
i will start studying what you have given me and practise , then lets see what happens skining with 4.5 while waitting for 5.0 . My name at M4t is Sgt Rock . Dog1 is my real name from the CF2 days at SIM-OH where i did scenery work for over 10 years . thanks support

dog1
Oct-24-2017, 11:19
Did Asisbiz ever make templates for COD to be shared or only skins ? i have'nt found any COD template download page there .

major_setback
Oct-24-2017, 13:06
Did Asisbiz ever make templates for COD to be shared or only skins ? i have'nt found any COD template download page there .

I don't think he made any.

Mysticpuma
Oct-24-2017, 14:44
i will start studying what you have given me and practise , then lets see what happens skining with 4.5 while waitting for 5.0 . My name at M4t is Sgt Rock . Dog1 is my real name from the CF2 days at SIM-OH where i did scenery work for over 10 years . thanks support

Would like to see your scenery work, got any links?

Cheers MP

dog1
Oct-24-2017, 20:24
hello
all my scenery work is at Simouthouse , my mentor there was Achim and still very active . below is the list:
CFS2 Scenery section
Page 8
Enhanced_Truk_default_scenery_expansion.zip
Marianas_USAAF_B29_bases.zip
New_Caledonia_Airbases.zip
Page 9
IJA_Bougainville.zip
IJA-New-Britain.zip
IJA_New_Guinea.zip
Munda_Vila.zip
Port_Moresby.zip
Espiritu_Santo_Base.zip
IJN_Tulagi.zip
the hits at Simouthouse are not correct . Round about 2012 if i remember correctly they had a major problem and had to reupload all their website again from scratch. I believe they lost data as well . this happened as well at M4T about 6 months ago .

my skining work AGskins by SgtRock is only available at M4T ,i make templates but not HD ,i have not found a tutorial or person to guide me on this subject which i consider very important , i have 60 historically correct uploads there , German , Brittish and commonwealth , SEAC , Japanese IJA and IJN , Italian regia aeronautica and USA which covers USN , USAAF and USMC aircraft. . We need more theaters of operations sceneries at COD so we skinners can add historically correct skins for mission building . I possess a very large data and illustration base .

i have reviewed the templates from the links given above and i have a question or two about them . They are all 2048 but the number off layers to become HD seems to be very little from my experience with IL2 , usually it would be at least 3 times and even more layers to display a high level of detail. Does the game engine have the HD files built in generating a higher level of detail even if the skin work is simple ? As you know in moded IL2 we have the carmaster files installed to generate the HD for HD skins when applicable .

major_setback
Oct-26-2017, 07:56
You can use hundreds of layers when making the skin, but the game uses jpg, so you save your work as 2048x jpg. That is the only skin size the game uses.

dog1
Oct-26-2017, 10:44
i have already done my first hurricane skin douglas bader and tested , colors weathering , fine . have added 2-3 layers for smoke and textures . I would like to begin uploading and i have just one question , can i remove , reupload updated files , delete files if i'm not satisfied with my work after a period of time ?

1lokos
Oct-26-2017, 11:37
Yes, you can manage your uploads as you want, eg. removing old files, replacing with new.