PDA

View Full Version : Beaufighter - The Forgotten War Horse

Black Jack 1
Nov-04-2017, 04:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUvAUw37D8

Documentary with interviews and ground attack footage of the Beaufighter.
Starts off a little slow but get interesting as it continues.

Sorry would have put it in a new thread but do not no how.

Snapper EDIT: I’ve started a new thread for this fantastic documentary covering the upcoming Team Fusion Simulation’s addition to the Cliffs of Dover stable. Thanks for sharing this, Black Jack! :salute:

ATAG_SKUD
Nov-04-2017, 08:28
Documentary with interviews and ground attack footage of the Beaufighter.
Starts off a little slow but get interesting as it continues.

Sorry would have put it in a new thread but do not no how.[/QUOTE]

Great Doumentary! I watched it end to end.
Thanks for posting!
:salute:
Skud

BOO
Nov-04-2017, 17:18
Same here - great doc- Thks for sharing!

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-04-2017, 20:05
One tactic I found interesting was the Beaufighters’ method of neutralizing warships. They aimed for the bridge, not the heavily-armoured waterline. As the Beau pilot related, 4 x 20 mm converging into the bridge could make quite a mess. The same cannon could also knock out the warship’s anti aircraft guns.

BOO
Nov-04-2017, 20:22
One tactic I found interesting was the Beaufighters’ method of neutralizing warships. They aimed for the bridge, not the heavily-armoured waterline. As the Beau pilot related, 4 x 20 mm converging into the bridge could make quite a mess. The same cannon could also knock out the warship’s anti aircraft guns.

Command and Control - cut the head off the snake etc

Vlerkies
Nov-04-2017, 21:34
Yup, any of the super structures (except stacks) would potentially take out C&C or fire control from ships of that era.

Very interesting historical account, thx.
Capt Brian Walker
If you hit anything with a Beaufighter, it was hit, and hit for good! :)

So I have to ask Black Jack 1,,,,,, in doccy Group Captain Brian 'BlackJack' Walker, coincidence?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-04-2017, 21:48
Smaller ships had very little armor on the bridges or on the deck or AAA guns.

Larger ships had armor which could defeat 20mm.

Vlerkies
Nov-04-2017, 21:57
2.5 hr audio interview with 'Blackjack' Walker.
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C282919

Vlerkies
Nov-04-2017, 22:12
Lurking on the AWM site another cracking clip from around 1942 re BlackJack Walker. Mainly Beauforts, KittyHawks and some air cobras.
Home/personal movie, These eagles incognito
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C217951
clip
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P10679867

Black Jack 1
Nov-04-2017, 23:55
Group Captain Brian 'BlackJack' Walker, coincidence?

I was lucky to know and fly with him. He was the chief test pilot for dehavilland in Australia doing most of the testing on the mosquito.
I also flew with captain Godfrey Ball who was in 43 SQ Hurricanes with 4 canons fitted. He was one of the pioneers in night fighters.

Yes that is why I use his handle.

Vlerkies
Nov-05-2017, 00:19
Group Captain Brian 'BlackJack' Walker, coincidence?

I was lucky to know and fly with him. He was the chief test pilot for dehavilland in Australia doing most of the testing on the mosquito.
I also flew with captain Godfrey Ball who was in 43 SQ Hurricanes with 4 canons fitted. He was one of the pioneers in night fighters.

Yes that is why I use his handle.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like you have had an interesting career!
Great to have you aboard here on the forums.

Gromit
Nov-05-2017, 06:38
Get yourselves "A Separate Little War" by Andrew Bird, excellent account of the Coastal Command operations out of Banff in Scotland over to Norway and Denmark.

In it there is a anecdote that recounts the experience of a German flak boat gunner who was strafed by flak suppression Mossies, it's no wonder they ducked, armour plate or no he was lucky to survive, his mates didn't!

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-05-2017, 07:22
Another good read for anyone interested in the Beaufighter is 'The Strike Wings' by Roy Conyers Nesbit (ISBN 0-7183-0520-5)

All about the Special Anti-shipping Squadrons of Coastal Command between 1942 and 1945. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

69th_Zeb
Nov-05-2017, 08:35
Gromit and Vampire, will be adding those books to my list.

I read Andrew Thomas' "Beaufighter Aces of WW2" (Aircraft of Aces Series). It ties the different models, progress of AI, and pilots together in their specific theaters. Good read and available on Kindle.

-Z

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-05-2017, 10:54
Gromit and Vampire, will be adding those books to my list.

I read Andrew Thomas' "Beaufighter Aces of WW2" (Aircraft of Aces Series). It ties the different models, progress of AI, and pilots together in their specific theaters. Good read and available on Kindle.

-Z

I have this one on Kindle (very inexpensive) and about halfway through. I agree; it’s a good read! :thumbsup:

Gromit
Nov-05-2017, 15:01
Another good read for anyone interested in the Beaufighter is 'The Strike Wings' by Roy Conyers Nesbit (ISBN 0-7183-0520-5)

All about the Special Anti-shipping Squadrons of Coastal Command between 1942 and 1945. :thumbsup:

Try "Armed Rovers" (ISBN 1-85310-517-1} by the same author, it chronicles the Beaufighter and Beaufort squadrons in the Med.

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-06-2017, 11:36
Just got this one for my birthday.

Had to go good condition pre-owned as a new copy is over £100 (no longer in print).

Only 'flicked' through it so far but looks packed with good photos and info. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Marlow
Nov-06-2017, 12:11

Had to go good condition pre-owned as a new copy is over £100 (no longer in print).

Only 'flicked' through it so far but looks packed with good photos and info. :thumbsup:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VAMPS!

Knock 'em bandy! Salute! :D :thumbsup:

(Looks like another good book, too!)

ATAG_Ezzie
Nov-06-2017, 13:57

Ive got this book Vampire and its excellent.

Ezzie

ATAG_Vampire
Nov-06-2017, 15:59
Great stuff!

Thanks Ezzie, looking forward to delving into it as soon as I can. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Scones
Nov-08-2017, 18:23

Happy birthday, Vamps!

Seems a nice read.

farley
Nov-08-2017, 20:31

Many happy returns Vampire:thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy the new read. Let us know what you think

DOWNEAST
Nov-08-2017, 21:54
I'm Currently Reading "Beaufighter Ace" writtem by Sir Thomas Pike's son.

Lots of detail on the working relationship between pilot and his navigator/radar operator in night fighter combat against raiding bombers.

Pike was given command of the Night Fighters of No. 11 Group in September 1941 and then went on to be Station Commander at RAF North Weald in February 1942. Promoted to the temporary rank of group captain on 27 March 1942, he became Officer Commanding No. 1 Mobile Operations Room Unit during the Allied Landings in Italy in May 1943 for which role he was mentioned in despatches in June 1943. He went on to be Senior Air Staff Officer at HQ Desert Air Force in February 1944.

=FI=Murph
Nov-29-2017, 14:06
There are a couple of shots of a beaufighter flying along missing it's outboard port wing! Rugged indeed.