PDA

View Full Version : Blenheim 40lb Bomb Effects and Being Snargled!

ATAG_Vortex
Dec-07-2017, 02:53
To steel Snarglepuss’s quote from another thread...

:recon:beware the snargle however:recon:

......stand charged that on or about....at or near.......did commit or cause to be committed an act or acts of assclownery......
....on this charge..........?

Guilty, My Lord

My conditioned reflex to tracers whizzing by, and the pitter patter of bullets upon my Blennie is to immediately loose 250 pounds worth
of love for the wretched foe striking me from behind.:) Sadly there have been numerous Spittys and Hurricane drivers over the years who have
shared in the joy. Whether they mistook my Boated Blennie for a Ju88 or they were smiting the yellow nosed demon from my six the result is usually the same....
:(I am guilty of a team kill:(
Oh the shame, the shame........woe....woe....woe.....

Be warned Gents, with the advent of this coming to the Blenie...

Blenheim IV, IVF (Late) with twin Browning rear turret. Bomb load additions include eight, 40 pound fuselage mounted bombs. Blenheim IV also has the ability of caring at least 2, possibly 4 SBC’s in the main bay, each holding six 40 pound bombs

The chances of being “Snargled” has just increased ten fold! But has any testing been carried out to see if a 40lb bomb will have the same effect on a following 109 as a 250 pounder?

I can’t emphasise the smile l have on my face when l see a burning 109 that goes streaking past my cockpit like a rocket minus its wings and elevators! I always think to myself what the other pilot must be thinking right at that moment as he looks about his burning fuselage which now has no wings...
:-)

Kayo
Dec-07-2017, 07:16
I always think to myself what the other pilot must be thinking right at that moment as he looks about his burning fuselage which now has no wings...
:-)

Well, as I am one of the Spitfire-pilots that mistook Snargles Blenni for a JU88 (while chasing JU88s) as late as yesterday evening and payed for it (well deserved I have to add) by being snargeled I have it as a very fresh memory in my mind.
I thought first: What the h... I did not see this extremly high invisible building I just ran into.
Then it was replaced by : Dubbel-Fu.., I just got snargled AND was attacking a friendly
To end in: I am so embarassed, shame on me.

Sorry again Snarglepuss!

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Dec-07-2017, 09:48
:)Swell my head and chest with pride.
Who'd of thought? My pseudonym/call sign having entered the Mother Tongue as
a proper noun,expanded to a common noun, is now in common usage as a verb.
Has Merriam-Webster been apprised?:recon:

Artist
Dec-07-2017, 12:57
Well, as I am one of the Spitfire-pilots that mistook Snargles Blenni for a JU88 (while chasing JU88s) as late as yesterday eveningMe, being the other Spitfire-pilot, who, after Snarglepuss snargled my team mate bljenkings, rushed after that apparent '88', am awfully sorry, too.

QB.Creep
Dec-07-2017, 13:07
Not sure how best to ask this stupid question - is being "snargled" named after Snarglepuss, or was this already a term used to describe getting blown up by a bomb in mid-air while chasing a bomber?

ATAG_Ribbs
Dec-07-2017, 13:18
Named after our one and only Snargle.... He was originally named ATAG_Where'smywings....but after careful consideration he changed his name to Snarglepuss..:-P

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Dec-07-2017, 18:22
I remember well the first time I discovered the fun you could have with the 1 second fuses.
It was ATAG_Slipstream who was in the yellow nosed brute nibbling at my six. There were no fighters about to answer
my calls for aid so I "jettisoned" a bomb or two to lighten the load:devilish:......then this lawn dart went whizzing past.......:)

ATAG_Vortex
Dec-07-2017, 21:27
I remember well the first time I discovered the fun you could have with the 1 second fuses.
It was ATAG_Slipstream who was in the yellow nosed brute nibbling at my six. There were no fighters about to answer
my calls for aid so I "jettisoned" a bomb or two to lighten the load:devilish:......then this lawn dart went whizzing past.......:)

Think you need to change your signature strip Snargle, ‘Fear the Puss’ just doesn’t befit you anymore!

QB.Creep
Dec-08-2017, 08:21

That's awesome haha. Is this something that actually happened in combat? I'd be interested to see if there are accounts of bombers dealing with enemy fighters in this fashion

ATAG_Ribbs
Dec-08-2017, 10:43
It never gets old hearing the SCREAMS of unsuspecting 109 pilots that find their right of passage on the ATAG server. :):thumbsup:

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Dec-08-2017, 10:44
That's awesome haha. Is this something that actually happened in combat? I'd be interested to see if there are accounts of bombers dealing with enemy fighters in this fashion

Nothing I've found yet. I have a copy of "Battle-Axe Blenheims No 105 Squadron RAF At War 1940-1" by Stuart R. Scott.
Through the whole book I've only found reference to the 11 second fuses. The danger to your fellow squadron mates flying
in close formation from the blast and debris of bombs and secondary explosions was just to great to use any shorter fuses
whilst flying low.

There is an ancient thread I started on this forum. The second one I ever posted titled "There's scratching your arse, and there's ripping the hide."
In days of old (5 or more years back) there were few Blennie drivers on the server and we all used the 11 second fuses for skip bombing ships. Most
of us just carried on with them for all the other targets. The bouncing of the bombs caused the occasional miss of land based map targets:grrr:
Because there are 11 second, 1 second, less than 1, and point detonating/sudden quick settings modelled for us, we original members of the Bloated Blennie
Brigade decided to give them all a go at the different targets in the maps.

I discovered soon afterwards that Blennies could actually seek out and destroy 109's on the ground with their bombs. I have found that dishonourably vulching 109
drivers with 250 lbs. worth of love is a soothing tonic to my black hearted and evil personality. :)One never knows which Blue super hero's stats you might affect:).
Did I mention there is also a gun in the Blennies wing?? This forward firing instrument of evil is also not unworthy of nibbling the bum of any 109 you may find
down low and slow. There is such a happy collection of gaily coloured tracers to load in it also.

Beware though. :recon:Once you venture down this evil path.....it grows and grows and draws you in to more devilish merriment.
Now I've found that Stukas can be used to circle over allied airfields waiting for a victim to spawn in. I'm sporting spitty spawning spectacles these days. When
I see a victim appear it's on with the siren and down I plunge to loose 500 Kgs. of love onto their noggin. Both sides now share the joy.

I don't fully know what black hearted evil merriment 4.5 may bring me but until then...Play on...Play hard..and :)Fear The Puss.:)

1lokos
Dec-08-2017, 16:49
Bomber killing pursuit fighters with bombs are common in IL-2:46 - despite no adjustable fuses in early versions.

DRock
Dec-08-2017, 22:12
IMHO, Snargle Bombing someone with a 40lb bomb won't be enough of a concussion to hit tailgaters at normal altitudes. Normal altitude? Treetops. Any higher than that, the Snarglebomb becomes less effective.

With the introduction of 'killer trees' and more of them, we will have to be more careful flying close to them. Ok if you're dropping the 250, but the 40lb bomb only has less than 1/6th of the concussion. Watch out when dropping a 500lb bomb at low atlitudes. You're probably going to destroy your tail section and give your gunner a headache.

The 40lb might do it, but it will require you to drop the bomb lower than tree height, which will require a slightly longer fuse delay. You may do more damage to your own aircraft.

Time will tell, since we are going to put it to test.

:salute:

Blackc5
Dec-09-2017, 15:17
ok so 2 observations.
1. the new trees will make it harder for the blen pilots to run that low.
2. everyone can stop complaining when i'm making an attack run at mach stupid and collide with you, instead complain to snargle.

chasing a bomber from his dead 6 that close to the ground has always been a bad idea in a 109.

ATAG_Ribbs
Dec-09-2017, 19:17
1 40 isn't going to blow his wings off alla 250's, but 3-4 dropped quickly in succession is going to make him wish he was somewhere else I'm sure. :salute:

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Dec-10-2017, 02:40
ok so 2 observations.
1. the new trees will make it harder for the blen pilots to run that low.
2. everyone can stop complaining when i'm making an attack run at mach stupid and collide with you, instead complain to snargle.

chasing a bomber from his dead 6 that close to the ground has always been a bad idea in a 109.

Well actually Luv'
I've always preferred my 109s neatly lined up on the runway, bent over, waiting for it.
Then, who knows? A 40 pound suppository may be all that's required.:kiss:

Gromit
Dec-10-2017, 06:58
1 40 isn't going to blow his wings off alla 250's, but 3-4 dropped quickly in succession is going to make him wish he was somewhere else I'm sure. :salute:

He would probably be wondering why he can see the floor through the bottom of his cockpit with all those fragments flying about! :faint:

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Dec-10-2017, 09:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab7SaTalCwg&t=23s
IMHO, Snargle Bombing someone with a 40lb bomb won't be enough of a concussion to hit tailgaters at normal altitudes. Normal altitude? Treetops. Any higher than that, the Snarglebomb becomes less effective.

With the introduction of 'killer trees' and more of them, we will have to be more careful flying close to them. Ok if you're dropping the 250, but the 40lb bomb only has less than 1/6th of the concussion. Watch out when dropping a 500lb bomb at low atlitudes. You're probably going to destroy your tail section and give your gunner a headache.

The 40lb might do it, but it will require you to drop the bomb lower than tree height, which will require a slightly longer fuse delay. You may do more damage to your own aircraft.

Time will tell, since we are going to put it to test.

:salute:

Just a short "cat's eye" view of me flying through the trees wishing I had those extra 40 pounders.
The final score was 3.43 to 1.:salute:

farley
Dec-10-2017, 17:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab7SaTalCwg&t=23s

Just a short "cat's eye" view of me flying through the trees wishing I had those extra 40 pounders.

I didn't know the flying a Blennie could be such good fun.
I thought you just flew in a straight line till somebody knocked you down......

Nice flying Snargle!:salute:

ATAG_Flare
Dec-10-2017, 17:51
I didn't know the flying a Blennie could be such good fun.
I thought you just flew in a straight line till somebody knocked you down......

Nice flying Snargle!:salute:

Blennies can out-turn 109s :devilish:

ATAG_Torian
Dec-10-2017, 20:22

[HTML coding for Yoda voice] Fully gone to the dark side he has. We had hoped he was the one to restore balance to the force. [/HTML coding for Yoda voice]