PDA

View Full Version : Blitz StartUp Issue

Ardu
Dec-16-2017, 14:47
Excitedly saw Blitz was available. Went to Steam and installed via Steam. Took many hours. When the install was complete, tried to start the game. Got the window:
" Bail out Bail Out
Steam must be running to play IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover.
Please launch Steam and try again. "

This was odd, as Steam was running. Turned all off and restarted the computer. Ran Steam as admin. Then, in Steam, tried to start the game. Same result. Turned all off. Restarted, ran Steam as admin. and then located the game on my computer files list, located the CLOD Blitz folder, and in that folder located "Launcher64.exe. Ran the launcher as admin. and got the same result. You can imagine the frustration.

Please note, when I downloaded Blitz I let Steam handle the process as Steam had Blitz up as one of my games and offered to download it. Given the problem starting Blitz, I searched for where Steam had the game. I found Blitz was in my Steam folder in the common folder (and that is where I had also located "Launcher64".) So next, I went back to my documents folder, created a 1C SoftClub folder and copied the Blitz folder to my new 1C SoftClub folder. (Please note, I had previously renamed that original folder which had contained my CLOD game, to preserve my previous version of CLOD.)

I restarted all again. Ran Steam as admin. Then went to the new 1C SoftClub, located Launcher64 and ran both Steam and the Launcher as admin. Got another message. The message was "The application can not be started. Do you want information about this issue?" I clicked on the "yes" window and nothing happen, except the window disappeared.

Hope there is a simple fix. Very frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

ATAG_Ezzie
Dec-16-2017, 15:26
Ardu,

I'm not an expert on all this but i think this might be part of the problem 'So next, I went back to my documents folder, created a 1C SoftClub folder and copied the Blitz folder to my new 1C SoftClub folder.'

I believe - but am happy to be told otherwise - the game usually needs to be located in 2 areas. There's part of the game in the steam apps area (where it is downloaded) and then when it runs for the first time it creates a folder in the 1CSoftclub area in my documents. Not sure how it handles it if you put the game in the 1C Softclub area.

But this doesnt explain why it doesnt think steam is running in the first place. I dont have any usewful ideas re this unfortunately.

When you downloaded the files did you verify them? (sorry if you did and I've just told you something obvious).

Ezzie

Ardu
Dec-16-2017, 15:55
Ardu,

I'm not an expert on all this but i think this might be part of the problem 'So next, I went back to my documents folder, created a 1C SoftClub folder and copied the Blitz folder to my new 1C SoftClub folder.'

I believe - but am happy to be told otherwise - the game usually needs to be located in 2 areas. There's part of the game in the steam apps area (where it is downloaded) and then when it runs for the first time it creates a folder in the 1CSoftclub area in my documents. Not sure how it handles it if you put the game in the 1C Softclub area.

But this doesnt explain why it doesnt think steam is running in the first place. I dont have any usewful ideas re this unfortunately.

When you downloaded the files did you verify them? (sorry if you did and I've just told you something obvious).

Ezzie

Thanks for your help. Yep, I did verify through Steam.
Before downloading I had renamed my previous I C.... folder, to preserve those files. After Steam informed me the download and install were complete I tried to run the game. Got the "first time install..." message and eventually got the message that Steam had to be running. ( A bit of a head scratch-er, since Steam was the source of that message! ) That's when I got curious and checked to see where the game had been loaded. It was in Steam.
As you can see I'm no computer programmer, so I must wait and hope this gets straightened out.
I must say, I miss the good old days before Steam where we bought games on disks and dealt with issues on a single level. Makes me a dinosaur...?

ATAG_Ezzie
Dec-16-2017, 16:02
Sounds like we at about the same level re steam competence Ardu.

One other thing - when you ran the game for the first time how did you do that?

What i was told / have been doing is to find the launcher64.exe in the steam game folder and make a short cut and put on the desktop. Then i turn on steam (but dont run the game from within steam) and then double click the short cut icon on my desktop. Again sorry if this is what you did. And it may make no difference.

And if that doesnt work then I'm out of ideas.

Ezzie

ATAG_Colander
Dec-16-2017, 17:10
Steam and the game must be running as the same user.
You cannot start steam as admin and double click on launcher64 as a normal user. Instead, start the game from steam.

Also, if you start doing some things as admin and others as a normal user, you might end up with permission issues on folders or files.

Ardu
Dec-16-2017, 19:00
Steam and the game must be running as the same user.
You cannot start steam as admin and double click on launcher64 as a normal user. Instead, start the game from steam.

Also, if you start doing some things as admin and others as a normal user, you might end up with permission issues on folders or files.

ATAG_Colander, thanks very much for your help. As suggested, I just now tried to start the game from Steam, after starting Steam with admin privileges. Still the same result, Steam tells me to start Steam. ( At least I think that message comes from Steam? ) In fact, when I first downloaded the game via Steam, after Steam advised it was successfully downloaded and installed, Steam offered me a start window, which I selected. Everything then proceeded as indicated above.
Obviously you know a lot more about the process than I. And your observations about Steam knowing who the user is make sense. So, I'm wondering if Steam has a setting that makes it start automatically each time I turn on my computer and that might be an issue. ( Don't know, will try to check as I stumble blindly around. )
I also wonder why Steam did not try to install the game in my documents folder, if in fact that is what should have happened. I should point out that when Steam did the automatic install it never asked where I wanted Blitz installed.
And for additional information, I never had this issue with either CLOD or CLOD MOD, as I could start Steam with or without admin privileges and then go to the launcher (either directly or via shortcut) to start the game.
Finally, just for drill I wonder how one goes about re-installing the game in Steam? ( I don't want to go through another 17 hour download... )
Again, thanks for your help. I don't post often but read the forums quite often and know you are very helpful to folks like me who need assistance.

ATAG_Colander
Dec-16-2017, 19:22
If you are getting the "bail out, bail out" message about steam, that comes from the game.
If steam is indeed running, you are starting the game from your library and still get that message, it seems like you have an issue with steam it self. Perhaps reinstalling steam would be your only option.

Ardu
Dec-16-2017, 19:30
If you are getting the "bail out, bail out" message about steam, that comes from the game.
If steam is indeed running, you are starting the game from your library and still get that message, it seems like you have an issue with steam it self. Perhaps reinstalling steam would be your only option.

OK, I'm game.
How do I do that, and will this require me to reinstall Blitz?

Ardu
Dec-21-2017, 20:29
OK, I'm game.
How do I do that, and will this require me to reinstall Blitz?

Well, I followed Colander's advice. I searched my Steam folder and found the Blitz game folder. I backed it up in several places. Next I went to Steam and took a look around and then said goodbye. I removed Steam from my computer. Restarted the computer and downloaded Steam from the Net and started over. Took a while but eventually ( many hours later, this is a busy computer season...) Steam was downloaded and updated. I then copied my backup of Blitz into Steam's backup folder.

Now here's an interesting thing that happened when I first started the recently downloaded and installed Steam to log on and insure my account was up and running. Upon starting ( and signing in with my account number and password ) Steam advised that it observed I had a new computer and thus needed to employ an additional layer of security to insure I was indeed who I claimed to be. ( Steam then sent me a message to my account email with a security number, which I then posted with Steam, and then I was allowed to open Steam and my account. Now, this process was really strange, because I have been playing COD and COD MOD for many, many years on this same computer!. However, and interestingly, many years ago, when the MOD version ( many thanks Team Fusion!!) came out I did build a new computer to replace an old one and also to insure I had the power to run the game properly. And I used that computer then and always to the present. I have been using that computer without a problem for many years! So, why now has Steam suddenly decided I have a new computer; and did Steam's sudden "discovery" have any thing to do with the initial failure to start Blitz? All, very interesting, especially since my problems noted in my initial post above seemed to center around Steam's rather psychotic inability after my first download of Blitz, to figure out that it, Steam was already running when I tried to start Blitz! I will leave this conjecture to anyone who understands computers and programming, which excludes me.

Anyway, I then, again followed all the suggestions re loading Blitz. I eliminated my 1 C... folder where COD and MOD were originally, by re-naming it. Turned off Anti Virus, set Steam to no overlay, no auto start when my computer starts, and crossed my fingers. Apparently, however, somehow I didn't cross them right. When I tried to use Steam to re-install Blitz which I had dutifully backed up, Steam refused to employ that backup. So, I once again, downloaded Blitz, very slowly... ( At one point I was informed the game was expected to be completely downloaded in only 111 ( yep, one hundred and eleven ) days!!

Anyway, again, I did get Blitz downloaded. I once again crossed fingers and started Steam, went to my apps, where I knew I could find Blitz's launcher, and ----TA DA!!!! the GAME STARTED!!!

I now will try launching Blitz with my peripherals running and my AV on. If all works, then I will re-map those peripherals, and begin exploring Blitz!

There is hope!! Thanks Colander!

No.119_Viper (VK-S)
Dec-21-2017, 21:21
Hi Ardu, Now that is really interesting......the one thing that never occurred to me was to cancel my Steam account then reactivate same, now I assume that by using the same user name and login password all one's games would still be there for download....But without any possible conflicts or corruption that may have been present before........well nothing to lose, I'm off to give it a go now, I will be setting up a new computer tomorrow so no worries.

Thanks for sharing this, as I would never have thought to try it.....brilliant Idea

~S~ Viper

Ardu
Dec-22-2017, 01:09
Hi Ardu, Now that is really interesting......the one thing that never occurred to me was to cancel my Steam account then reactivate same, now I assume that by using the same user name and login password all one's games would still be there for download....But without any possible conflicts or corruption that may have been present before........well nothing to lose, I'm off to give it a go now, I will be setting up a new computer tomorrow so no worries.

Thanks for sharing this, as I would never have thought to try it.....brilliant Idea

~S~ Viper

You are very welcome. And thanks to Colander for the suggestion.

I was able to start up the game with the AV going and all peripherals. I then was able to map the important keys quite easily. But I am not set for on line play, so it is much easier. On the other hand the aircraft seems to handle much differently and I have a feeling this is a new cat. I will have to set up some simple missions and see what happens.

Much thanks to Team Fusion!

ATAG_Highseas
Dec-22-2017, 03:01
On the other hand the aircraft seems to handle much differently and I have a feeling this is a new cat. I will have to set up some simple missions and see what happens.

Much thanks to Team Fusion!

ha... Yeah... Much better cats.

You"ll b fine!

Barraclough
Dec-24-2017, 10:16
Everyone on the Forum have a good day

At last Blitz works on my laptop!

Installed MS Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable

Barraclough

=FI=Murph
Dec-24-2017, 13:07
I don't know if this will be helpful, but...
I tried setting the properties for my steam.exe to "run as administrator" and shortly thereafter got warning from steam telling me NOT to run steam as admin! Steam may be one of those exceptions to the usual rule about running everything as admin. I have all my other .exes (teamspeak, TrackIr, CH software, Launcher64, etc.,) set to run as admin, and this would be the first time I've heard back from the program telling not to do it. The message did say that it reset the compatibility of the program to an unacceptable choice for steam.
For what it's worth I use a shortcut to my desktop to first start and then close steam (it will continue to run in the background) and then open the game using a desktop shortcut directly to the game's launcher64.exe.( c: /Program File x86/Steam/Steamapps/common/Cliffs of Dover Blitz/Launcher64.exe). Works every time.
But then, I've never had a launcher crash with Blitz, nor any of the other problems some have reported.