PDA

View Full Version : Possible to replace 'wind noise' in 4.5 cockpits with a file from 4.312?

SamJoDo
Dec-22-2017, 14:12
As the title suggests, is it possible to take a sound/audio file from 4.312 for in cockpit sounds to get rid of that awful wind noise in an enclosed cockpit? After 10 minutes of flying with that noise in my ears it drives me crazy! Any help is appreciated.

Teetwo
Dec-22-2017, 14:40
Hey SamJoDo,

I don't think so but I'm just speculating. I think just like some of the gun sounds it a matter of not knowing or being able to find the original creator to get his/her approval.

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-22-2017, 14:52
After 10 minutes of flying with that noise in my ears it drives me crazy! Any help is appreciated.

Have you try reducing the volume ingame?

Dice
Dec-22-2017, 15:08
Hi Sam,
The same thing was happening to me during set up in single player, then I joined TS and realized I could not hear Yotheguy when he spoke, what he suggested was turning the in game volume all the way up and then adjusting the game/TS volume (by right clicking the volume icon in system tray and selecting Open Volume mixer with both the game and TS up and running, then turning the game volume down). This simple adjustment worked for me and I hope it works for you but you may have to check this as mine tends to need a reset occasionally.

1lokos
Dec-22-2017, 15:26
Curious, I find the wind noise in 4.312 more loud making a torture fly in Tiger Moth, in 4.50 is less, but there has little difference with cockpit open or closed.

Anyway all sounds other than voices is embed in game SFS files and is not possible for user change then.

This require a kind of MOD folder like in DCSW, RoF.

ATAG_Highseas
Dec-22-2017, 15:56
As the title suggests, is it possible to take a sound/audio file from 4.312 for in cockpit sounds to get rid of that awful wind noise in an enclosed cockpit? After 10 minutes of flying with that noise in my ears it drives me crazy! Any help is appreciated.

Try this:

(you probably already know but maybe not)

right click the speaker icon on lower right of the screen (with Cliffs running)

go to the volume mixer... put all up to 100% and Cliffs down to 2%

now you can hear teamspeak and dont go deaf from wind noise.

:salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Dec-22-2017, 15:57
Hi Sam,
The same thing was happening to me during set up in single player, then I joined TS and realized I could not hear Yotheguy when he spoke, what he suggested was turning the in game volume all the way up and then adjusting the game/TS volume (by right clicking the volume icon in system tray and selecting Open Volume mixer with both the game and TS up and running, then turning the game volume down). This simple adjustment worked for me and I hope it works for you but you may have to check this as mine tends to need a reset occasionally.

ha.. you beat me to it !

vranac
Dec-22-2017, 18:07
Guys, it is not volume, that is a high frequency hissing wind sound. Depends on what you're listening, if you're on some gaming ( cr#p) headset you might not be hearing that.

I like the new sounds in general, it might be that the sound bug with the DB601 is eliminated ( changing levels), Cheers Slipstream.

But that wind sound is really irritating on a good headphones powered via an amplifier.

SamJoDo
Dec-22-2017, 18:58
vrananc got it..turning down the volume just makes the wind whistle a lower volume..its still there..sounds like a hissing steam pipe. I was hoping there was some way to turn the in cockpit sound back to 4.312. All other sounds are nice, just hate the wind whistle in the cockpit.

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-22-2017, 22:08
Whatever you do don't turn ingame sound down...Keep it at 100%...and use the windows mixer as suggested above...From what Slipstream tells me the game sounds are manipulated to only give full overall effect at 100%...

Note: This isn't a message to you Sam as I know you have the 'hissing' issue...Just to other folks reading this thread..

ATAG_Slipstream
Dec-23-2017, 09:38
Hi SamJoDo

Thanks for your comment. :thumbsup:

We're aware that the wind noise is excessive in closed cockpit particularly at higher speeds. This will be addressed for the next release.

peregrine7
Jan-09-2018, 23:33
Hi SamJoDo

Thanks for your comment. :thumbsup:

We're aware that the wind noise is excessive in closed cockpit particularly at higher speeds. This will be addressed for the next release.

I think the issue (in my opinion) is that the noise is not right, however it is at the correct volume (wind noise is LOUD, and it's one thing that sim devs often neglect)

Example of wind noise (https://youtu.be/oU1hthzK9JY?t=253), compare that to earlier when the engine was running (https://youtu.be/oU1hthzK9JY?t=6) and you can barely hear the engine. Unfortunately the mic isn't too high quality but you get the idea. Wind noise is loud but it's more of a "rush" or "roar" than the current "whistle". Naturally the engines of the 109, spitty and hurricane are much louder than that of the Yak50, but it's still a bit weird.

We also don't really have much volume/oomf difference with manifold pressure currently.

The engine sound also comes from the body of the plane, cockpit and glass around you (vibrations with the materials acting as "speakers") so the engine sound has a lot more midtone/bass to it when inside the aircraft. Example (https://youtu.be/rGfQQWOsoB8?t=690) (you can also hear "beats" from the slight difference in tone/RPM of the two engines).

Nitpics, I know, the game sounds brilliant as is! Thank you :)