PDA

View Full Version : Does Blitz fix these basic BoB issues and how will prior mods run with controls now ?

BOBC
Dec-28-2017, 18:32
Hi,
Before I try Blitz , I read about controls need remapping, so after doing so, what happens when I launch MOD 3.1 for example ?
Will I be able to use the existing settings in that and be instantly flying or will I have to remap the controls back to how I had them for all MoDs prior Blitz ?
Then remap them again when I fly Blitz ? then back again for MoD 4.312 and so on and so forth.
I dont want to be remapping every time I move between Blitz and a prior mod.

I hope I can stay with Blitz , if its fixed the frosty effect and shiny RAF then I can.

I do like to flit between existing MODs for different lighting effects, disliking the frosted surfaces that were supposed to be reflections after 3.1 and the shiny RAF aircraft that spoilt the otherwise realistic stills I capture.

Does Blitz fix the following :-
Spitfire Mk2 are seen by default (rounded spinners) when BoB period was almost all Spit Mk1 (pointed DeHavilland spinners).
MG15 gunsight is USAAF !
No RAF or Luftwaffe groundcrew visible, instead Brit army and Wehrmacht.
CH towers missing platforms.
No Belfast Truss hangars.

RGB colours as seen in photoshop are not visible in SIM, we need RGB to be followed through to SIM for easy skin designing. Creating correct RLM70/71/65 is a nightmare.

I read that correct DB601 sounds exist as well as other engines and clouds shade is represented on aircraft colours as before the colours remained same if a/c is sun or cloud, always remained in sun mode !

For that alone I wish to fly Blitz ! everything else is a wonderful bonus, but desperately need the fixes above as well.

BOBC

ATAG_Colander
Dec-28-2017, 18:36
The old mod uses the "-MOD" folder.
Blitz uses the non "-MOD" folder.

So, your config files in one will not conflict with the others.

As for the RGB colors, sorry, my monitor uses CMY so I can't help.

1lokos
Dec-28-2017, 19:44
Does Blitz fix the following :-
Spitfire Mk2 are seen by default (rounded spinners) when BoB period was almost all Spit Mk1 (pointed DeHavilland spinners).
MG15 gunsight is USAAF !
No RAF or Luftwaffe groundcrew visible, instead Brit army and Wehrmacht.
CH towers missing platforms.
No Belfast Truss hangars.

No, this are just "cosmetic" issues. Few people really care about. :)

BOBC
Dec-29-2017, 11:50
No, this are just "cosmetic" issues. Few people really care about. :)

I do feel that being a BoB sim it should fly spitfires as they looked in the BoB. Most famous aircraft and combat Spit Mk1 in the BoB and we cant see this ?
also to have RAF and Luft groundcrew.
Am I alone in wishing a BoB sim show BoB as it really was with Spitfire Mk1's and what it was like at dispersal, in this respect ?
We see Spitfire Mk1 at airshows in BoB schemes, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought CoD that it didnt have Spitfire Mk1s in it !
closely followed by no RAF and Luft groundcrew, come on,..surely thats nuts for a BoB sim to not have.

I for one would also like to be looking through a german gunsight when handling an MG15.

Are you able to speak for all here when you say no one wants accuracy such as spit 1s or groundcrew ?

I have waited a lifetime for a decent BoB sim yet find such basic omissions odd when attention is given to some things that are far less BoB.

I cannot edit in RAF and Luft groundcrew, so any stills taken on the ground are hopeless, .

Will wait until 5.0 which is due to fix the groundcrew thing (so I am not alone in wanting this) and hopefully give us BoB spits at last.

BOBC

1lokos
Dec-29-2017, 12:57
I do feel that being a BoB sim it should fly spitfires as they looked in the BoB.
I have waited a lifetime for a decent BoB sim...

$0.02: Don't deceive yourself more with this "decent BoB sim" dream - this died with BoB:WoW years ago. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Ribbs
Dec-29-2017, 13:22
TFS only have so much time to do the things they have done. They chose their time to fix alot of things and make alot of improvements. Fixing the things that seem to really bother you haven't been fixed yet. Hopefully in time the fixes you want to see will be attended to. Thanks

69th_Bazzered
Dec-29-2017, 14:23
I do feel that being a BoB sim it should fly spitfires as they looked in the BoB. Most famous aircraft and combat Spit Mk1 in the BoB and we cant see this ?
also to have RAF and Luft groundcrew.
Am I alone in wishing a BoB sim show BoB as it really was with Spitfire Mk1's and what it was like at dispersal, in this respect ?
We see Spitfire Mk1 at airshows in BoB schemes, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought CoD that it didnt have Spitfire Mk1s in it !
closely followed by no RAF and Luft groundcrew, come on,..surely thats nuts for a BoB sim to not have.

I for one would also like to be looking through a german gunsight when handling an MG15.

Are you able to speak for all here when you say no one wants accuracy such as spit 1s or groundcrew ?

I have waited a lifetime for a decent BoB sim yet find such basic omissions odd when attention is given to some things that are far less BoB.

I cannot edit in RAF and Luft groundcrew, so any stills taken on the ground are hopeless, .

Will wait until 5.0 which is due to fix the groundcrew thing (so I am not alone in wanting this) and hopefully give us BoB spits at last.

BOBC

Installing Blitz won't affect the control settings for the other versions. Several squadrons of Mk. I's had the rotol propellers/hubs during the BoB, and some number of Mk. II's had DeHav's due to shortages of the rotol. Uniform Mk. I's would be more unrealistic. The ground crew are still army (and I do chuckle whenever I see a german machine gunner in a stahlhem sitting at an RAF base). The MG15 sight...you got me, honestly the only info I could find from a search about MG15 sights was your posts over the years about this issue. I applaud your persistence.

Are these basic omissions, or highly detailed nuances? Is it realistic to expect perfect modelling of every aspect of a chaotic 3 month period of war 77 years ago, for which we have imperfect records and a very narrow consumer market?

What does a "decent BoB sim" look like? I'd say it has the most realistic flight models for the most important a/c available at the time, beautiful scenery and aircraft, and most importantly a community of skilled pilots and good people that recreate the drama and tension of the battle through human input. Scrambling from Hawkinge with a barely warm engine while bombs rain down around you. A desperate 2nd bomb run on one engine with your machine barely clinging to the air. The shock of tracers suddenly erupting on your airframe as a 109 dives on you out of the sun. Crossing the cliffs of dover in a tight Vic formation with your mates, chasing headlong towards a sketchy and incomplete report of a large group of enemy bombers, intent on stopping them no matter the odds.

If your definition of a "decent BoB sim" were anything like mine, you'd have it in Blitz and then some!

BOBC
Dec-30-2017, 11:51
I just feel that the most famous fighter, the Spitfire, should be seen and flown by default as the mark that was more prevalent in the BoB, and let folk go select a Mk2 if they like the look of that instead or prefer to fight with better performance than what most BoB Spit pilots had to use.

Bit like saying I want paintings of a football team to be mostly showing them in their normal strip, so red/white for Man Utd for example rather than most paintings having them in their secondary strip colours.

I have an interest in how things looked on the ground, in the different appearances of the groundcrew on both sides, and hope that one day this sim will represent the groundcrew as well, I cant stomach though British Army for RAF and Wehrmacht for Luft. Despoiling my otherwise realistic scenes. Unable to make any stills of ground scenes. Glad to know its being fixed in MoD5.
I enjoy the sim by capturing realistic stills, as if I have gone back in time, as its capable of delivering this realism so that is a credit to it. Some folk go on holiday without a camera, I take one and enjoy capturing beyond the average scenes, each unto their own as they say, one mans pleasure is another mans poison.
Larry takes some stunning realistic shots , I like to recreate BoB in colour as he does.

I have many books on the BoB and have been a BoB historian most of my life and probably know more about its appearance than the average guy or gal. There is even a screen image in the sim showing the MG15 and its cross hair sight. yes we can still shoot down RAF with it, but its a USAAF sight so to have the correct one would be welcome. If one is to worry about boost gauge being +8 or +16 on its face then the MG15 sight also is equal pegging I feel. As we have access under the bonnet of the sim now hopefully what might be a simple 5 min photo-editing out of the inner circle could be done.

I can edit artwork but could do with knowing how one finds the sight artwork, can it simply be edited and saved as jpg, or does it need resaving as some odd file type so as to be read by the sim ?

I see folk making green/grey skins for CoD and dont understand the need for such non BoB work, more than correcting Spits to Mk1, USAAF gunsights, Chain home towers, Belfast hangers as seen at most stations etc.

Spit Mk2 selection. If most folk are fighting the BoB with the default offered Mk2 spits are they not at an advantage as they had superior performance to the Mk1 and Mk1a so folk are not making their way through BoB from July onwards as most pilots would have faired ? Getting more kills and maybe increasing the survival odds a bit. Its like calling up a Hurricane II when surely we should experience it with a Mk1 ? As it would seem that folk are more into the performance than the looks and ensuring they experience it as per original as best as is possible, flying a Mk2 is detracting from what most pilots experienced for most of the BoB.

BOBC

♣_Spiritus_♣
Dec-30-2017, 12:05
What is wrong with the MG-15 gunsights? Internal or external view? I've only played the game about an hour the past 2 months so I might be wrong but I remember fixing the alpha on the external MG-15's sight and they look like these don't they?

1lokos
Dec-30-2017, 12:59
I see folk making green/grey skins for CoD and dont understand the need for such non BoB work, more than correcting Spits to Mk1, USAAF gunsights, Chain home towers, Belfast hangers as seen at most stations etc.

Spit Mk2 selection. If most folk are fighting the BoB with the default offered Mk2 spits are they not at an advantage as they had superior performance to the Mk1 and Mk1a so folk are not making their way through BoB from July onwards as most pilots would have faired

What you are missing in your "crusade" is that CloD is, before all, a "IL-2 Sturmovik" game, where the focus is competitive Multiplayer and not history recreation.
Just happen that original dev's choose for CloD BoB planeset and operations area - choice that was beaten by many that prefer a latter war ETO scenery.

MP crowd care little about correct historical skins in Spit, but just in use the skins they considere neat. Some even will use skins based on their preferred football team shirt if the MP server allow.

What matter is if in the game Spit is able to reach 310 MPH in level flight, not the shape of their spinner. Why CloD online is most time a "Spit Mk2 x Bf 109 E-4". :thumbsup:

I can list dozen of thing that I want see correct in CloD Spit - the number 1 is P-8 compass "Lubber Line"(because this affect my gameplay style, I hate digital HUD, icons in WWII CFS). But being realistic, ~7 years after is time to admit that this will not happen, simple is not possible.:(

To keep the game interesting for new and old crowd, TF need create new contend, not waste time fixing "cosmetic" details in the old, this will not win "heart and minds", because for one enjoy what CloD has good means accept many "shortcomings, half-done, workarounds". Who accept just want more, who not always move away, e.g. for 1CGS Battle of ' series.

You are not wrong... but are fighting against "windmills". :)

BOBC
Dec-30-2017, 14:33
Hi 69th Spiritus Mortem,
I cant see much in that photo,
the MG15 front sight is a circle with a thin wire right to left and top to bottom, no circle in the centre. Surround is thicker than wire.
The rear sight is not a soldering iron tip, but a sweeping point 33445

Is this what you have edited it to ?
How do I get that into CoD 4.312 and prior ?

Hi 1Lokos,

Just happen that original dev's choose for CloD BoB planeset and operations area - choice that was beaten by many that prefer a latter war ETO scenery.
but Cliffs of Dover is BoB area, so in fact they (developers and players) wanted a later war theatre in fact and higher performance aircraft, not sure then why (developers) chose the title CoD and went for BoB period.

However they did, so one should when buying it , expect BoB aircraft, try and fly these aircraft, fly a Mk1 against an E-1 or E-3 or E-4, as happened, else go and buy a different sim.

I am sure there are some folk who are not into CoD for online gaming, without a survey of all users we wont know their preferences, sounds as if they want to fight BoB with a spit MkIX in green/grey if they could do so, I would rather experience what the RAF did with the Spit Mk1, some might say using a superior mark is cheating, sim has gone to great lengths to get performance right so why not fly the mark that was in most use to put this performance work to use ? I also enjoy seeing the beautiful Mk1 Spit as I am sure a few more do, but the bulbous spinner of the Mk II detracts from its sheer beauty for me.

Cheers

BOBC

major_setback
Dec-30-2017, 17:19
RGB colours as seen in photoshop are not visible in SIM, we need RGB to be followed through to SIM for easy skin designing. Creating correct RLM70/71/65 is a nightmare.

When shaders are changed and in-game lighting is adjusted then all existing colours will look different, so there is very little point in trying to achieve perfectly accurate colours. They will change.
Our present TF4.5 aircraft colours work differently than in TF4.312, and you can see this on certain aircraft such as the Stuka, where user-skins show a bit lighter than they did previously. I'm re-working all my old Stuka skins at the moment, and also need to re-do the colours on all of my desert Stuka skins.

It is not so difficult to achieve good looking colours by trial and error, it will only take (maximum) one or two evenings of anyone's time, and then you will be able to use those same colours for any skin of the type you have been skinning. Or you can copy the colours from other people's skins.

If the in-game colours were to be changed now as you suggested (and indeed maybe they will in future) then all default and other skins need to be re-done, and this is a far bigger job for everyone, especially for the TFS team (myself included). Also, all of the desert skins that have already been created for TF5 would need re-doing. Any future changes to lighting and shaders would affect these 'correct' colours too, so they could look incorrect after the next release.

I don't think that this is an issue. It would be an issue if it was impossible to achieve good colours, but that isn't the case. It just requires patience.

Cheers, major_setback

BOBC
Dec-30-2017, 18:25
Hi Major_Setback,
I have been trying out Greens to get the RLM70/71 colours as per Merrick book and wreckage I possess.
I get near to the relationship between the two, the 70 needs to go a bit 'bluer' as its a blue based green whilst 71 is a yellow based green Pine tree needle green v oak tree leaf green one might say. As I introduce a tad more blue bias and fly it I dont experience the effect of this subtle change but it gives me something notably different and of of use and it lies well beyond my goal, subtle changes dont translate across to the sim.

I can fly a series of test colours with subtle changes between them and the one I want sitting in the middle, when seen in photoshop, yet in sim they are notably different to what I saw in photoshop and none give me the colour I am after., coming out so different.

I have something that might suffice but isnt the relationship I was after, its as if the sim will only fly certain greens, out of 100 shades it will only display 10 one might say.

Monitor is colour calibrated by the way.

Likewise getting rlm65 has been a real challenge, just struck lucky one day but getting there by design was getting me nowhere. The colour on screen looks nothing like the colour in photoshop. makes for 'designing to screen' (monitor not sim) as graphics folk do, a nightmare.

One can create a skin matching on screen in photoshop a known profile in a book and it wont fly and look like the profile in the book, but you already know this I would think.

BOBC

Bonkin
Dec-30-2017, 20:52
What you are missing in your "crusade" is that CloD is, before all, a "IL-2 Sturmovik" game, where the focus is competitive Multiplayer and not history recreation.
I think it depends what server you are on. There is something for everyone within the CloD community. ACG take history recreation very seriously.

MP crowd care little about correct historical skins in Spit,
Again - depends on the server. People do care about historical accuracy and there are a number of fine examples around where skin makers have created exceptionally good aircraft skins.

To keep the game interesting for new and old crowd, TF need create new contend, not waste time fixing "cosmetic" details in the old.
I have to agree with you on this one 1lokos. As great as it would be to have some of the small imperfections ironed out, the game is lacking content and desperately needs something new. I've no idea how far v5.0 is away but it would seem that having later Mks of aircraft, a chargeable DLC pack if you will, could be a good interim measure.

buster_dee
Jan-01-2018, 08:14
Actually, I'm with you BOBC. For me, flying over an England where Oxford is caravan park, St. Paul's is a factory, and the Thames is bordered by Morse code is like "risking" my life for no home at all. I spent several years making the B-24D cockpit in 46 (a testament to my inefficiency); it was pretty much dead before it flew. I suppose I buy this stuff to support the artists who make it.

And on that sour note, Happy New Year all.

carbolicus
Jan-01-2018, 12:40
I too am a fan of the Mk1a Spitfire with its pointed spinner - like BOBC I see it as the most beautiful of all the Spitfire marks, and although it's only a small thing it does make all the difference to how the atypical Battle of Britain Spit looks.

However... it's a simple matter to fly the Spit Mk 1 in the game and then you have a nice pointed spinner for your screenshots, and so, BOBC, you and I need to be grateful that we can have a Battle of Britain Spit that does look right, even if it's technically not the Mk 1a.

Also, Team Fusion, and now 777, have done such a great job on this sim that I won't complain about the odd imperfection; to me this sim is a dream come true.

And the new landscape/scenery - just perfect, they've done an amazing job.

Like many others here I shall be more than happy to shell out significant money for CLOD v 5.

rince77
Jan-01-2018, 13:29
Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
I do feel that being a BoB sim it should fly spitfires as they looked in the BoB.
I have waited a lifetime for a decent BoB sim...
$0.02: Don't deceive yourself more with this "decent BoB sim" dream - this died with BoB:WoW years ago.

https://s6.postimg.org/bhqyomnip/bob_2017-12-26_23-39-25.jpg

bob2 wov is still being modded with some terrain and other mods. It is still a great single player bob experience with its immersive campaigns.

buster_dee
Jan-02-2018, 08:55
Also, Team Fusion, and now 777....

Team Fusion, and now Team Fusion Simulations. 777 granted code access--a class gesture, but "former" TF members are still making the wood chips.

I'm soaking my hat in bourbon just in case I have to eat it.