PDA

View Full Version : British planes more fragile then the Germans?

IonicRipper
Jan-05-2013, 22:54
After about a week of playing this game on both sides (slightly more on the allies' side) i noticed the British planes seem to take damage to vital components much easier then their German counterparts. It might be my imagination or just plain bad luck but it seems that every time i get hit in a Spitfire or Hurricane it almost always takes severe damage (usually to the engine or radiator) to a point where i have to pull out of the fight.

The German planes, on the other hand, seem to take punishment much better as i can usually get hit several times without taking any serious damage. Only when lingering behind a bomber formation at point blank does it seem to be in any immediate danger. Is this a historical fact that British fighters were more susceptible to damage then German fighters or is it just a mistake on the devs' part?

My technique does not change much when flying either side (probably not the best tactics either, i'm still learning) so that shouldn't be a factor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ATAG_Deacon
Jan-05-2013, 22:59
Most probably the difference between the British .303's and the 20mm Canons on the German aircraft :flying::shoot::flying:

IonicRipper
Jan-06-2013, 01:24
Actually, i wasn't comparing both airplanes in a fight. What i meant was against bombers. Every time i got hit in a Spitfire or Hurricane by a tail gunner, i was sure to get severely damaged. In the 109, on the other hand, i could get hit multiple times without any serious damage.

I do remember, though, once i was on a Hurricane's tail but out of cannon shells. A quick burst of machine guns was all it needed to send it in a big cloud of black smoke and the pilot bailed. I tried recreating the same circumstances with a Spitfire on a 109 tail but even at perfect convergence range i only managed to puncture its radiators.

It just seems to me like the British planes are much easier to damage. Am i the only one who has this feeling?

P.S. sorry if i'm hard to understand tonight, its late and i'm getting tired roflmao

Roblex
Jan-06-2013, 05:40
As a RAF pilot I would love to back you up but I don't see what you see. Yes, Sitting behind a formation of 111s is likely to get you put out of action but at the same time I have jumped into the rear gunner position of my blenny several times and shot down 109s with just that single gun.

Basically, no matter how tempting it is, you should always resist the temptation to make a dead 6 attack on any bomber. You might think that the opportunity to pour five seconds of ammo into a stationary target makes up for the risk but I have come to the conclusion that a brief one second burst made while slashing past in a high flank attack or two seconds from front or rear quarter does more lethal damage, even with my terrible gunnery skills :-)

IonicRipper
Jan-06-2013, 10:01
I guess its just my imagination, then.

Just to be clear, i wasn't saying i was sitting behind bomber formations. It seemed to happen whatever my situation was, weather i was strafing a bomber formation or being attacked by an enemy fighter.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.