PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth Event?

CarlMarks
Mar-28-2018, 15:58
Hello all,

Like many of you, I am often tempted to take up a Tiger Moth on the main server, but the opportunities are rare and the opposition is quite severe. For some time I have imagined how much fun it might be to face off on a more level playing field, barring all monoplanes and staging more of a WWI scale battle with biplanes only. Is anyone else interested? We could establish an hour or so that is agreeable for all of us to meet up on the Beta 4.53 server this Saturday (something like 19:00 GMT?) and see how it goes. If we could establish two teams of at least five pilots we might be in for quite a good time.

Please let me know if there is any demand for this sort of thing and feel free to share thoughts and suggestions.

:snoopy:

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-28-2018, 16:01
Hello all,

Like many of you, I am often tempted to take up a Tiger Moth on the main server, but the opportunities are rare and the opposition is quite severe. For some time I have imagined how much fun it might be to face off on a more level playing field, barring all monoplanes and staging more of a WWI scale battle with biplanes only. Is anyone else interested? We could establish an hour or so that is agreeable for all of us to meet up on the Beta 4.53 server this Saturday (something like 19:00 GMT?) and see how it goes. If we could establish two teams of at least five pilots we might be in for quite a good time.

Please let me know if there is any demand for this sort of thing and feel free to share thoughts and suggestions.

:snoopy:

OHHH HELL YEAH !!!

except im in Amsterdam this weekend....

But Do it !!

Moths are amazingly good fun !!

QB.Creep
Mar-28-2018, 16:58
Sounds like fun to me!

Maru
Mar-28-2018, 17:04
Count me in! just confirm me the day and the time!

CarlMarks
Mar-28-2018, 18:54

Spread the word!!!

ATAG_Scones
Mar-28-2018, 18:58
Yes, I'm interested - this is a great idea!

:salute:

farley
Mar-28-2018, 19:25
Great idea CM, but i have commitments this w/e.:sobbing:

@Scones - have to admit that i had to translate your sig. Guess I've let my Latin slip these past few years......:ind:

In fact it has been an annus horribilis in regards to my languages....

CarlMarks
Mar-28-2018, 19:47

@Scones - have to admit that i had to translate your sig. Guess I've let my Latin slip these past few years......:ind:

Drat. We will miss you Farley, but hopefully this event won't be the last of its kind :D

ATAG_Ribbs
Mar-29-2018, 08:03
Sounds like some down and dirty fun! I will try my best to be there!

Seafar
Mar-29-2018, 09:10
I shall be there ,been wanting to do this for a while now,see you all on Saturday.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-29-2018, 09:19

TNSconesius Farleio salutem dicit.

De linguis, annus horribilis utrique nostrum fuit.

If you're studying Latin and know of any good books, do let me know.

Sorry to hear you won't be at the event.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-29-2018, 10:32
I provided an all Tiger Moth Server setup to ATAG on the launch of 4.5... but so far they haven't put it up.

Called it 'Tiger Moth Island'... set on the Volcanic island map and just one hour long... just a fun-type romp.

Both the blue and red sides have the same planeset... all the Tiger types... plus there are some ground vehicles driveable and targets to bomb.

HINT: Bug Pantast or Freya and maybe they'll put it into the rotation.

I think players would find it a blast. ;;)

CarlMarks
Mar-29-2018, 11:03
I provided an all Tiger Moth Server setup to ATAG on the launch of 4.5... but so far they haven't put it up.

Called it 'Tiger Moth Island'... set on the Volcanic island map and just one hour long... just a fun-type romp.

Both the blue and red sides have the same planeset... all the Tiger types... plus there are some ground vehicles driveable and targets to bomb.

I had heard rumors of this sort of thing being in the works- sounds exciting!

ATAG_Scones
Mar-29-2018, 11:04

Oh yes, this look promising!

Thanks Buzzsaw!

QB.Creep
Mar-29-2018, 14:14
Added it to the TWC forums - hope to see you online then! :salute:

Maru
Mar-31-2018, 14:20
Hey, is it starting in 40 min? I dont see anybody..

Maru
Mar-31-2018, 19:01
Was fun today! Thanks for the event, even though we were few it was enjoyable!.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-31-2018, 19:37
Thanks for suggesting the event, CM, and to all the participants for taking part. We needed more people, but it was fun nonetheless.

CarlMarks
Mar-31-2018, 21:19
Yes, I think Buzzsaw's Tiger Moth map needs to go into rotation. This was a good way to test the waters, and I think we could all agree after flying together with the Tiger Moths that the resulting combat was very fun and dynamic. The server map today at the set time coincidentally did not allow blue team to have the moths as they had when we used the beta server between the updates, so we were forced to go for a free for all. That was an unfortunate mistake on my part. I enjoyed flying with you all and hope that this mixup won't dissuade anyone from trying to do something similar in the future.

DerDa
Apr-01-2018, 05:13
Thanks for organising!
Despite all the unplanned things it was good fun.
I just need some practice with this strange bird.
Somehow I think fighting is better with a working engine ...

S!

DerDa

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-01-2018, 17:41
Unfortunately RL kept me away from the Tiger moths event. Sorry about that. I would love to see Buzz's map put in the rotation..how fun would that be! Drivable vehicles as well.! We need more variance and this would help. Toss it in and let's see what happens...I say.

ATAG_Laser
Apr-01-2018, 18:04
Sorry I couldn't make this event.

It sounded fun.

Like many others here , I have been away from home for the Easter break, and that could account for the numbers being low on Saturday, but Tiger moth combat is something that I would love to have a go at.

Hopefully I can make it next time :salute:

CarlMarks
Apr-01-2018, 18:15
Unfortunately RL kept me away from the Tiger moths event. Sorry about that. I would love to see Buzz's map put in the rotation..how fun would that be! Drivable vehicles as well.! We need more variance and this would help. Toss it in and let's see what happens...I say.

Absolutely!

DRock
Apr-11-2018, 12:06

Would it be possible to put this map on server 2 for testing?

Maybe we can try this again with more preparation.

A '50 planes lost' objective style could help determine winners.

Red and blue skins only to identify enemy.

Any interest?

ATAG_Scones
Apr-11-2018, 13:31
Would it be possible to put this map on server 2 for testing?

Maybe we can try this again with more preparation.

A '50 planes lost' objective style could help determine winners.

Red and blue skins only to identify enemy.

Any interest?

Hi, DRock.

Yeah, I would be interested. It would be a blast! :thumbsup:

A '50 planes lost' objective would depend on the numbers. Maybe the objective should be to destroy a percentage of the enemy aircraft.

Couldn't the survivors of each side land back at a designated airfield for a head count and a photo shoot?

ATAG_Freya
Apr-11-2018, 13:32

I've worked on this map, but I can;t get the airfields to be destroyable (its on the volcanic map). No vehicles either as I don't know how to make them playable anymore...

One possibility is, with Buzz' permission, that I make a simple conversion to the english channel map, have one airfield for each team (as the original) and use the somme as a frontline - say we use poix nord and abbeville or something like that? Basically the same mission but on the common map. Sound good? Lemme know. I think it would be fun for sure!! AND very easy to do, it would take like 15 minutes...

PS Buzz can you email me that map again (the copy I sent back to you a while ago)?

DRock
Apr-11-2018, 13:42
I've worked on this map, but I can;t get the airfields to be destroyable (its on the volcanic map). No vehicles either as I don't know how to make them playable anymore...

One possibility is, with Buzz' permission, that I make a simple conversion to the english channel map, have one airfield for each team (as the original) and use the somme as a frontline - say we use poix nord and abbeville or something like that? Basically the same mission but on the common map. Sound good? Lemme know. I think it would be fun for sure!! AND very easy to do, it would take like 15 minutes...

PS Buzz can you email me that map again (the copy I sent back to you a while ago)?

I kinda want to see this Tiger Moth Island. We've flown Poix/Abbey a lot. This would be new.

Aircraft attrition would be better than airfield destruction, IMO. This would be a massive dogfight.

ATAG_Freya
Apr-11-2018, 15:28
I kinda want to see this Tiger Moth Island. We've flown Poix/Abbey a lot. This would be new.

Aircraft attrition would be better than airfield destruction, IMO. This would be a massive dogfight.

Yeah that's do-able. Don't need the airfield destruction - can do standard targets on the airfield or near. As long as there is something to hit it will draw the forces into conflict. And we gotta bomb stuff with the t-moth new bombs... I will have to do some digging for the a/c attrition part though. Gimme a week.

:thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Apr-12-2018, 00:23

Hello Freya

I am currently on vacation and unable to access the Tiger Moth Island map files for another week.

Regarding the vehicles being useable by humans... they should be good now with TF 4.53... when you tried it first, it was 4.51, and they were not enabled.

I suggest you build it yourself... It is a very simple setup, took me about an hour and a half to build.

- Opposing Airfields should be very close together... and vehicles should be able to drive and attack the opposing airfield within 15 minutes.

- Both sides get all three models of the Tiger Moth.

- Both sides get two airfields... one further back to prevent strafers from camping it easily.

- Only flak weapons allowed are the light MG German type... used for both sides, only two per field maximum. The reason is 20mm and 40mm weapons are too deadly versus Tiger Moths.

- Both sides get three vehicle spawns... one at each of their airfields, and one out halfway between the fields close enough so the players can drive a vehicle and attack the opposing airfield.

- Both sides get the same vehicles, they use German models... the Sdkfw 222 armoured car, and the Sdkfw 251 halftrack. The 222 is good for attacking... has a 20 mm cannon, but not much use in AAA, the 251 has a mannable LMG which can be used for AAA defense vs bombing Tiger Moths... both vehicles should be killable by Tiger Moth bombs, the 251 perhaps by strafing.

- There should be fuel tanks, parked aircraft, parked vehicles and other targets on the fields which can be attacked.

- If at all possible there should be some static small ships as targets as well.

- There should be a maximum time limit of 1 hour for this setup... this to stop people who have fits if they can't fly 109's/Spits from bitching too much about having to fly Tiger Moths. This will probably mean getting a victory is a small possibility, but the setup is mainly intended to be a fun fly anyway.

- Set it in the early morning so there are nice dawn effects, and also add enough clouds to allow Tiger Moths to dodge in and out of them.

- Add Startup instructions for Tiger Moth in description:

= Chocks in

= Fuel cock open

= Throttle to 10%

= Requires two starts... first one always fails

= Allow to idle for 30 seconds at 10% throttle

= Move throttle to 100% in one continuous smooth motion

= Idle should stabilize at 1650 rpm, hold for 30 seconds

= Throttle to 0%, Chocks out, Taxi for takeoff

= When taxing, aircraft must be travelling at 20 kmh for rudder to be effective for directional changes... don't taxi too fast... there are no brakes

= Start takeoff run at 60% throttle, increase to 100% once the aircraft is tracking straight down the runway

Differences between the Tiger Moth types:

- Overwing MG 'British' model has 'climb' propellor, climbs better and turns better, three drums of 97 rounds, has higher compression higher hp engine

- Nose mount MG 'Czech' model, has 'Cruise' Prop, is 10 kmh faster, has more accurate MG, slightly more ammunition at 400 rounds, has higher compression higher hp engine

- Historical model has standard engine, and is slower

Good luck!

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-12-2018, 10:25
What about on the isle of White?

And objects spread around the airfields would be way better than tonnage dropped in my opinion. Especially if you had moving vehicles running loops around the airfields. Give us some moving targets!! Haha love it!

Might be too long of flight.. East church and Southend?

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-12-2018, 11:09
What about on the isle of White?

And objects spread around the airfields would be way better than tonnage dropped in my opinion. Especially if you had moving vehicles running loops around the airfields. Give us some moving targets!! Haha love it!

Might be too long of flight.. East church and Southend?

Isle of white would be great for a moth event...

Bit of a shame we dont have guernesy and Jersey on the map ! They would make great opposing bases.

Moth Mayhem soudns liek a huge amount of fun ! and no bail outs... yikes !

DRock
Apr-17-2018, 12:09
Any update on this map?

It's time for a BIG event.

ATAG_Freya
Apr-17-2018, 13:48
Still working on it. I'm not having any luck getting the aircraft count thing working. So far it's just fly tiger moths around for an hour, with no limit as to how many can be lost. Could still do normal targets, still very playable I guess it would be a fun brawl anyways. Just wish I could figure out how to get a/c losses sorted out. Any one out there want to volunteer to fix that? I'll send the mission rough copy to you.. otherwise that might take me a while! IF I can get it working at all :D

DRock
Apr-17-2018, 16:58
Still working on it. I'm not having any luck getting the aircraft count thing working. So far it's just fly tiger moths around for an hour, with no limit as to how many can be lost. Could still do normal targets, still very playable I guess it would be a fun brawl anyways. Just wish I could figure out how to get a/c losses sorted out. Any one out there want to volunteer to fix that? I'll send the mission rough copy to you.. otherwise that might take me a while! IF I can get it working at all :D

Sorry if I caused extra work for you, Bud.

Much appreciated, though.

An air battle seems like the best scenario, but I'm open to ideas. Besides, this is Carl's thing if we can get him to try again.

ATAG_Freya
Apr-18-2018, 01:39
Sorry if I caused extra work for you, Bud.

Much appreciated, though.

An air battle seems like the best scenario, but I'm open to ideas. Besides, this is Carl's thing if we can get him to try again.

Not at all! I consider any work of any type "extra" lol

Seriously I think if we could figure out how to do a kill count and base mission objectives off that - it would be a great thing for future and current server missions, not just this. It's a very worthy cause!!

I'll give another sitrep in a few days....Got some stuff from Oskar to try out (ps thanks man!)

DRock
Apr-18-2018, 09:00
Not at all! I consider any work of any type "extra" lol

Seriously I think if we could figure out how to do a kill count and base mission objectives off that - it would be a great thing for future and current server missions, not just this. It's a very worthy cause!!

I'll give another sitrep in a few days....Got some stuff from Oskar to try out (ps thanks man!)

There use to be a map in rotation that counted aircraft losses.

You would use tab-4 to access it. Using that would work. That way we could adjust the winning number of aircraft losses based on how many people show. Time limit is also an option.

Flak at airfield will minimize vulching, and encourage air battles.

Also, teams must be colour coded.

~S~

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-18-2018, 11:05
I agree Freya..I think plane and or pilot count would be great. I do seem to remember that in one of our maps like DRock said. It was an older map..it might have been the one that wouldn't let you cross into France if you were RAF?? I might be wrong...

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-18-2018, 11:08
The Borfors flak is so deadly against the slow moving TM. Maybe a few in accurate ones..but maybe more of the zickyswoccles..( machine gun ones) :) That will need some testing but will be fun!

ATAG_Freya
Apr-18-2018, 11:26
Also, teams must be colour coded.

~S~

The losing side will be orange and black.

Not sure how to color code but if one army uses (for example) italian skins and one uses RAF then it should be easy to distinguish them. Need to look more into that I guess..

I agree Freya..I think plane and or pilot count would be great. I do seem to remember that in one of our maps like DRock said. It was an older map..it might have been the one that wouldn't let you cross into France if you were RAF?? I might be wrong...

Yep I remember it. No longer accessible! But that is exactly what I need.

The Borfors flak is so deadly against the slow moving TM. Maybe a few in accurate ones..but maybe more of the zickyswoccles..( machine gun ones) :) That will need some testing but will be fun!

The mission as of now uses Zwillingsokkels and 2 per base is enough to kill me 50% of the time. Works good! Can adjust for higher # of players.

more in a couple days...

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-18-2018, 13:38
What in tarnation!! Even the ground kills me 50% of the time...roflmao

ATAG_Ribbs
Apr-18-2018, 13:40
I feel like the German version of the month has a distinct advantage as far as gunnery. What about using it for both sides with different skins?

ATAG_Freya
Apr-18-2018, 18:24
For now both teams will have a choice between the DH-82 of all types. Though I doubt no-one will fly the standard gunless version...maybe drop that one we'll see.

ATAG_Highseas
Apr-19-2018, 09:05
For now both teams will have a choice between the DH-82 of all types. Though I doubt no-one will fly the standard gunless version...maybe drop that one we'll see.

well... i might... but yeah... its kinda useless in combat. Pointless for the moth map unless we used it for playing cat and mouse racing... as the mouse... SQUEEK !

ATAG_Freya
Apr-25-2018, 21:12
Gonna try and do some testing in about an hour from this post. Look for me on TS! IF I'm not there, do the same tommorow

ATAG_Freya
Apr-25-2018, 23:19
Thursday it is! Same time roughly.

~S~

DRock
Apr-27-2018, 08:49
Thursday it is! Same time roughly.

~S~

The wife is on vacation, so I can test this with you if you need help.

Let me know.

ATAG_Freya
Apr-27-2018, 09:57
Well unfortunately we discovered we can't run lobby anymore, so that grounds MP testing to a halt for the time being. I can send the mission to you to check out by running a lobby by yourself though! Let me know if you want it, it's not a final or anything but all parts are working so we can adjust it to event style when the time comes.

~S~

farley
Apr-27-2018, 12:23
The wife is on vacation.....

I hope she enjoys her time away DRock.

Just out of curiosity, where did you send her..... and how did you get her to go?

Any tips so the rest of us rest of us do that?:D

Ok, to be honest, just dropped my gf at the airport this morning; she's off for five months of hiking.......

couldn't wait to get away from me!:ind:

ATAG_Scones
Apr-27-2018, 14:13
First Person:

My wife goes to the Caribbean every year.

Second Person:

Jamaica?

First Person:

No, she goes of her own accord!

DRock
Apr-27-2018, 17:09
I hope she enjoys her time away DRock.

Just out of curiosity, where did you send her..... and how did you get her to go?

Any tips so the rest of us rest of us do that?:D

Ok, to be honest, just dropped my gf at the airport this morning; she's off for five months of hiking.......

couldn't wait to get away from me!:ind:

She's off to Myrtle Beach, Florida. An early summer for her and daughter.

Are you serious, Farley? 5 months? It you that needs to give us the tips.lol

farley
Apr-27-2018, 18:14
She's off to Myrtle Beach, Florida. An early summer for her and daughter.

Are you serious, Farley? 5 months? It you that needs to give us the tips.lol

I hope they have a great time:thumbsup:

As for me, no secret's I'm afraid. Just be with someone who loves the outdoors and hiking and Poof! they are forever disappearing.....

A good r'ship, trust, and a strong desire for the other person to live their dreams helps as well (and ok, having a personality that makes other need to escape does help a bit....:D)

DRock
Apr-28-2018, 10:43
Well unfortunately we discovered we can't run lobby anymore, so that grounds MP testing to a halt for the time being. I can send the mission to you to check out by running a lobby by yourself though! Let me know if you want it, it's not a final or anything but all parts are working so we can adjust it to event style when the time comes.

~S~

I can try that, Freya.

You may have to walk me through it, though. Not sure if I have set up a server before.