PDA

View Full Version : Playtest Weekend Post Scriptum 26th May

ATAG_Vampire
May-25-2018, 18:04
Looks like it's here. Download tonight. Start 08:00hrs tomorrow (UK time?).

https://youtu.be/-APdMG90l0Q

Hope to see you in Arnhem!

Unless of course you are in the 9th SS Pnzer Div!! :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

ATAG_Highseas
May-25-2018, 19:02
CRIVENS!

I'm away for a week! Grrrrr

ATAG_Vampire
May-26-2018, 14:00
Downloaded the Playtest.

Not had a lot of time today to get into it due to RL stuff.

What I have looked at is just scratching the surface but it really does look fantastic on my monitor.

Mouse sensitivity is critical and I had to play about with the video settings to try and get the best graphics (wip). There are a large number of keyboard settings and this may be the reason I don't see a facility to use an Xbox controller. Someone out there may know different.

There are a lot of servers on the list this weekend, many of which had a queue waiting to get on. Found some further down the list with fewer players so that I could play around with settings etc.

Watch this space as they say. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
May-26-2018, 14:13
Cool....

Are the other chaps on line polite or utterly vile?

I cannot abide vile....

I'm too lovely.

ATAG_((dB))
May-26-2018, 14:31
Any single player campaign? I am not just quick enough to play online

ATAG_Vampire
May-26-2018, 15:09
Cool....

I cannot abide vile....

I'm too lovely.

Too early to say if the players are polite or otherwise. I was on a sparsely populated server to get a feel for how things work.

Time will tell. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Vampire
May-26-2018, 15:17
Any single player campaign? I am not just quick enough to play online

There is no single player campaign at the moment.

I see there is a Training mode (not available this weekend) on the Options list. I assume that it will be similar to the one in Squad.

Like you ((dB)) i am not quick at this FPS gameplay, too old for all that. However, Post Scriptum is more about teamwork and communication and achieving objectives all set in a very realistic environment. :thumbsup:

ATAG_((dB))
May-26-2018, 15:23
It does look stunning, I'll probably make the jump once out of beta if they do a single players missions of stuff :D

ATAG_Scones
May-26-2018, 19:03
I too logged on to the test server briefly today. Wish we had met up Vamps!

The graphics are truly amazing - you can almost smell the vegetation!

And I liked what I saw of the interface. Clearly set out, easy on the eye.

:salute:

BOO
May-27-2018, 01:48
It does look stunning, I'll probably make the jump once out of beta if they do a single players missions of stuff :D

I think it was always intended as a MP game. But its no twitch shooter. This is what appeals to me. I'm sure along the line there will be nobbies who join but, as a squad id imagine you can filter most of them out and the game will probably self police to a large extent given its reliance on coms and teamwork.

BTW - which needle is the pendulum again? :-)

ATAG_((dB))
May-27-2018, 01:54
I think it was always intended as a MP game. But its no twitch shooter. This is what appeals to me. I'm sure along the line there will be nobbies who join but, as a squad id imagine you can filter most of them out and the game will probably self police to a large extent given its reliance on coms and teamwork.

BTW - which needle is the pendulum again? :-)
LMFAO

PS Trying to answer his buddy Talon but the forum crash :grrr:

A suivre....

9./JG52_Meyer
May-27-2018, 18:25
Time to get our Flektarn camo smocks on methinks

Hals und beinbruck

ATAG_Vampire
May-27-2018, 21:19
The Playtest weekend has been extended.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736220/announcements/detail/1675782228477324000

I need some driving lessons........W, S, A, D = WTF!!!! :thumbsup:

69th_Zeb
May-28-2018, 01:45
Cool....

I cannot abide vile....

I'm too lovely.

Well, my first ride in a half-track with a bunch of chaps ended up being driven by a drunk driver this morning. haha Hittin' trees and stuff.

Had trouble seeing anything, as the only thing I could get hands on was a Springfield. Focus mode (pressing shift when aiming) helped some. Maybe a higher resolution (1080p right now) would help too. But yes, would be nice to find a server all of you are on. I'm not really into FPS, but I think this might be interesting.

-Z

ATAG_Scones
May-28-2018, 08:36
The Playtest weekend has been extended.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/736220/announcements/detail/1675782228477324000

I need some driving lessons........W, S, A, D = WTF!!!! :thumbsup:

W, S, A, D = Wonderful School of Advanced Driving?

Well, I'm having trouble identifying friend from foe - I just team killed someone. The shame! Of course, I did apologise for my nervous-noob mistake. There was no ranting from anyone because of it just a willingness to get on.

Let me be clear, I don't intend to do this on a regular basis as I know the consequences of that - Seas will withold the picnic hampers!

ATAG_Vampire
May-28-2018, 12:21
W, S, A, D = Wonderful School of Advanced Driving?....................................

More like.....Woeful School of Advanced Driving, Sconsey!! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
May-28-2018, 19:10
Let me be clear, I don't intend to do this on a regular basis as I know the consequences of that - Seas will withold the picnic hampers!

Not at all old chap....

Cucumber sandwich anyone?... there is a lovely spot up here on this grassy knole.

There....

Oh dear me... I forgot the fine porcelain ... all I have is this slightly over thick crockery.

You must all think me terribly uncouth.

Oh the shame.... !

BOO
May-29-2018, 05:11

You need to remain circumspect about such incidents as a good leader - yes you have less men as a result of this but there is also more picnic hamper per survivor. This is especially good news if you keep your men lean and the additional portion for yourself.

So, as you can see, the occasional bout of clumsyness is not always disastrous for the management or for the individual involved (well one of the individuals anyhow). In fact the possibly of becoming a bag man is very real (and potentially life extending) since you'll only ever be likely to be thrown up front when there is something especially nice in the hamper.

ATAG_Ribbs
May-29-2018, 08:34
Had some great fun, but hesitating on identifying friend from foe got me killed alot this weekend. I think I had 1 confirmed kill. Riding in the vehicles Is a hoot. Reminds me of the long rides in WWII online. Without the roll overs..lol Good times! We really need to all hop on together and give this thing a go. At least I can shoot Seas in the back and blame it on Boo.. :)

I too had a hard time telling contacts apart. It's like everyone is playing as Hurricanes and G50s all over again! Haha. We might need to have a settings session to see what helps. So many settings that I have no idea what it does..like. infantry 1-4 x zoom. And also Vehicle 1-4 x Zoom. Field of vision settings and so on.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-29-2018, 09:59
I gave it a try yesterday: however as there is no "boot camp" or tutorials available I sorta had to figure it all out: never was able to get in a truck (
"jump" maybe
anyway it crashed after about half an hour. and I was never able to get back in, it just sorta times out and reverted back to the long in page

ATAG_Ribbs
May-29-2018, 10:04
Knucks....just quickly tap your "F" key when you're standing next to the vehicles. Same for getting out. If you hold the button down it doesn't work for me. Just tap it.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-29-2018, 10:13
Knucks....just quickly tap your "F" key when you're standing next to the vehicles. Same for getting out. If you hold the button down it doesn't work for me. Just tap it.

got it thanks

also appears TrankIR isn't supported

ATAG_Scones
May-29-2018, 11:02
Not at all old chap....

Cucumber sandwich anyone?... there is a lovely spot up here on this grassy knole.

There....

Oh dear me... I forgot the fine porcelain ... all I have is this slightly over thick crockery.

You must all think me terribly uncouth.

Oh the shame.... !

Uncouth? Never!

In fact, I'm awarding you the Distinguished Sweetmeats Order for services above and beyond the call of duty;

ATAG_Scones
May-29-2018, 11:13
You need to remain circumspect about such incidents as a good leader - yes you have less men as a result of this but there is also more picnic hamper per survivor. This is especially good news if you keep your men lean and the additional portion for yourself.

So, as you can see, the occasional bout of clumsyness is not always disastrous for the management or for the individual involved (well one of the individuals anyhow). In fact the possibly of becoming a bag man is very real (and potentially life extending) since you'll only ever be likely to be thrown up front when there is something especially nice in the hamper.

Thank you, Boo,

I see it quite differently now and don't feel so bad about it. But this highlights the importance of a well supplied picnic hamper. I do hope Seas is listening!

ATAG_Vampire
May-29-2018, 11:21
Had some great fun, but hesitating on identifying friend from foe got me killed alot this weekend. I think I had 1 confirmed kill. Riding in the vehicles Is a hoot. Reminds me of the long rides in WWII online. Without the roll overs..lol Good times! We really need to all hop on together and give this thing a go. At least I can shoot Seas in the back and blame it on Boo.. :)

I too had a hard time telling contacts apart. It's like everyone is playing as Hurricanes and G50s all over again! Haha. We might need to have a settings session to see what helps. So many settings that I have no idea what it does..like. infantry 1-4 x zoom. And also Vehicle 1-4 x Zoom. Field of vision settings and so on.

I am with you there Ribbs....too slow identifying!

Managed to get 9 hours in over the three days and learned a lot. Started to get more comfortable with the various key bindings and the UI.

Got quite a bit of driving in and tried the jeeps, Bedford trucks and M3 halftrack. Tanks are great fun especially operating one on your own and jumping from position to position. Had a go at the Sherman Firefly, Panzer III and the Staghound armoured car. Don't drive into the deep gullies at the side of some of the roads though. Even using 'Reset Vehicle' it is difficult to retrieve the situation.

Crawling through the reeds near a pond, after a squad mate had been taken out, stalking and being stalked was intense.

Great fun and very realistic. Bugs yes, I had several, but I am sure Periscope games will sort it and hopefully give us another Play test week end soon. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Scones
May-29-2018, 11:24

Hey, Ribbs,

I think that's a great idea. That way we would be learning together and not letting the squad down while doing so.

BOO
May-29-2018, 14:31
I will admit that with no tutorials as such and without a mic to ask (my bad) I was a bit lost. At first the graphic settings seemed a little old and the AA was awful (despite max settings the electric rail power lines were a series of unjointed lengths of "stuff" floating the air) but things seemed to improve with some playing about. What didn't improve was the frame rate. My I5 and (new) 1080 didn't exceed 75 fps even at the limit of just 1080P and eventually broke down to a slideshow. Not sommat I expected from a 6 year old and well established game engine TBH and odd given that the environment seemed to consist only of me, some grass and a few trees for the most part. Since no-one else here has reported such I guess it just one of those things but it seems a common complaint elsewhere.

I also seemed to be walking around in a shadow - like the view distance bubble in BOX from last year but only about 12 ft across. On some maps the shadows were very late to resolve too - some only doing so about 3 virtual feet in front of me.

To be sure it wasn't me, I booted up witcher and BIA both of which played perfectly fine (different engines I know)

There is some Xbox functionality but whether its not finished or simply not a priority for the game (its an FPS keyboarder after all) its not great. I dunno if custom settings will eventually be able to be used or Joy2Key will be able to override it (currently it cant but it can add to stuff already there) but for now, youd be better throwing cushions at your keyboard from across the room than try to be competitive with one.

One server had "for Polish and British only" messages and I lost count of the amount of racist and/or otherwise puerile comments around the various forums and reddits. I'm not judging the community as whole from this but even so.......2018 and all that...

At times during the various gameplay vids posted I get it. Totally. At other times I am just left thinking its Brothers in Arms without the SP or decently scripted banter and set pieces and at any time soon someone is going to say something abhorrent.

Hopefully the release version will be everything we all hope but I think the secret, for me at least, is going to be playing with people I like and trust.

ATAG_Ribbs
May-29-2018, 18:23
yeah FPS games are the most popular with the juvenile audience and the adults that act like juveniles as well. That's why we need to Band together as Brothers :) To make this a truly enjoyable experience I believe :salute:

I thought they extended the Play test weekend till tonight, but it must have been till Tuesday night somewhere else in the world... :)

ATAG_Scones
May-29-2018, 19:21
I will admit that with no tutorials as such and without a mic to ask (my bad) I was a bit lost. At first the graphic settings seemed a little old and the AA was awful (despite max settings the electric rail power lines were a series of unjointed lengths of "stuff" floating the air) but things seemed to improve with some playing about. What didn't improve was the frame rate. My I5 and (new) 1080 didn't exceed 75 fps even at the limit of just 1080P and eventually broke down to a slideshow. Not sommat I expected from a 6 year old and well established game engine TBH and odd given that the environment seemed to consist only of me, some grass and a few trees for the most part. Since no-one else here has reported such I guess it just one of those things but it seems a common complaint elsewhere.

I also seemed to be walking around in a shadow - like the view distance bubble in BOX from last year but only about 12 ft across. On some maps the shadows were very late to resolve too - some only doing so about 3 virtual feet in front of me.

To be sure it wasn't me, I booted up witcher and BIA both of which played perfectly fine (different engines I know)

There is some Xbox functionality but whether its not finished or simply not a priority for the game (its an FPS keyboarder after all) its not great. I dunno if custom settings will eventually be able to be used or Joy2Key will be able to override it (currently it cant but it can add to stuff already there) but for now, youd be better throwing cushions at your keyboard from across the room than try to be competitive with one.

One server had "for Polish and British only" messages and I lost count of the amount of racist and/or otherwise puerile comments around the various forums and reddits. I'm not judging the community as whole from this but even so.......2018 and all that...

At times during the various gameplay vids posted I get it. Totally. At other times I am just left thinking its Brothers in Arms without the SP or decently scripted banter and set pieces and at any time soon someone is going to say something abhorrent.

Hopefully the release version will be everything we all hope but I think the secret, for me at least, is going to be playing with people I like and trust.

To me the game seemed to be running fine but I didn't have my frame rate displayed ingame. I'm going to make sure I do during the next play test weekend.

I was considering the use of Joy2key or Voice Attack. Are you saying that Joy2key won't work with PS?

Puerile comments can be overlooked racist ones should not.

I couldn't agree with you more, Boo.

BOO
May-30-2018, 04:39
To me the game seemed to be running fine but I didn't have my frame rate displayed ingame. I'm going to make sure I do during the next play test weekend.

I was considering the use of Joy2key or Voice Attack. Are you saying that Joy2key won't work with PS?

Puerile comments can be overlooked racist ones should not.

I couldn't agree with you more, Boo.

Hi Mate

J2K works fine with joysticks- I "flew" my guy around the map for a couple of hours to test using my Mongoose. It didn't however overwrite any of the ingame (non adjustable/non optioned) Xbox one settings. This could eventually just be a matter of accessing some files somewhere or even a menu to be added but, for now at least you are left with what the devs have given you. What I could do with J2K was add to the in game profile (so aiming down sigh could be augmented with the zoom function) but it was glitchy at best.

I know in comparison with a lot of posts in this thread mine are a bit negative but the fact of the matter is that Unreal 4 IS an old engine and will only do so much. This is fine in itself but ive seen a few comments around the place about the high quality graphics. They are good, don't get me wrong, but compared to other more modern FPS titles they are a little dated.

Dai-San
May-30-2018, 05:59
On a few occasions I sat in the TS Post Scriptum channel but no one joined at all.

I must admit the graphics are somewhat dated but this is more than offset by the way they are used. I actually felt that the use of the foliage and the general perspective is probably one of the most immersive FPS experiences I've had. Sure I've played FPS games with better, more realistic graphics or better effects but they always seem somehow detached, or the size/perspective feels wrong.

Enemy spotting and then identification is a nightmare and got me killed A LOT, but I suppose we're all a bit too used to scopes and zoom so I'm sure this will improve with practice. Some of the guns are very (excuse the pun) Hit and Miss, the Webley Pistol is a joke and trying to use the rifle at close range is not exactly an alternative.

We definitely need to organise TS next time so we can all get on the same servers.

ATAG_Highseas
May-30-2018, 06:19
I definitely won't be playing with the vile mouthed brigade.

I have no time for them.

Quite happy shooting them though :D

ATAG_Scones
May-30-2018, 07:26
Hi Mate

J2K works fine with joysticks- I "flew" my guy around the map for a couple of hours to test using my Mongoose. It didn't however overwrite any of the ingame (non adjustable/non optioned) Xbox one settings. This could eventually just be a matter of accessing some files somewhere or even a menu to be added but, for now at least you are left with what the devs have given you. What I could do with J2K was add to the in game profile (so aiming down sigh could be augmented with the zoom function) but it was glitchy at best.

I know in comparison with a lot of posts in this thread mine are a bit negative but the fact of the matter is that Unreal 4 IS an old engine and will only do so much. This is fine in itself but ive seen a few comments around the place about the high quality graphics. They are good, don't get me wrong, but compared to other more modern FPS titles they are a little dated.

Thanks for the info, Boo,

I couldn't find the key strokes needed to get the zoom to work because I was too bogged down with other aspects of the game so I can't say if it was bugged or not.

I thought the graphics were quite good but then again I don't have any experience with any other modern FPS titles to make a comparison.

ATAG_Vampire
May-30-2018, 09:51
I definitely won't be playing with the vile mouthed brigade.

I have no time for them.

Quite happy shooting them though :D

I can't say encountered a great deal of the "vile mouthed brigade" during my time in the servers. A few expletives now and then but nothing other than that.

Perhaps I was on the right servers at that time. Haha!

Have watched a couple of videos on Youtube which showed some unpleasant language though. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Ribbs
May-30-2018, 10:09
Yeah..I didn't encounter anything too vile.. but it's out there. Just the attitude of players is just so different than what we are used to with Clod. Run up to a vehicle and can't quite get in in a " reasonable " amount or time, will get you ridiculed or left in the dust running like ANDY in Toy story..chasing the truck. All the while the troops in the back laugh and point at you as you're reduced to a dot in the distance.. just saying..... it happens alot...to a friend of mine.. errr uuhh.." points in someone's general direction" whistling.....

ATAG_Vampire
May-31-2018, 16:21
Just the attitude of players is just so different than what we are used to with Clod. Run up to a vehicle and can't quite get in in a " reasonable " amount or time, will get you ridiculed or left in the dust running like ANDY in Toy story..chasing the truck. All the while the troops in the back laugh and point at you as you're reduced to a dot in the distance.. just saying..... it happens alot...to a friend of mine.. errr uuhh.." points in someone's general direction" whistling.....

There is a good example of that approach at 7:50 mins in this video. The guy left behind gets shot at by his squad mates and appears so p****d he lobs a grenade in their direction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caw2wOC3aDw

This makes setting up our own squad (if that is possible) all the more necessary. :thumbsup:

07 :salute:

ATAG_Flare
May-31-2018, 17:47
I've got to get this game on order. I've played Squad and PR a bunch so would be happy to play with you guys, maybe do some squad leading.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-31-2018, 17:56
ok that was funny. I got left behind twice . cripes I had no idea how to even get in a truck ( its the F key which says "interact"

do we have a PS channel on our team Speak ??

ATAG_Scones
May-31-2018, 18:03
ok that was funny. I got left behind twice . cripes I had no idea how to even get in a truck ( its the F key which says "interact"

do we have a PS channel on our team Speak ??

So was that you trying to get into the truck, Knuckles?

ATAG_Scones
May-31-2018, 18:05
I've got to get this game on order. I've played Squad and PR a bunch so would be happy to play with you guys, maybe do some squad leading.

Well, I hope you do get the game, Flare! Your experience with Squad has got to be a bonus for any squad you're on.

ATAG_Scones
May-31-2018, 18:11
There is a good example of that approach at 7:50 mins in this video. The guy left behind gets shot at by his squad mates and appears so p****d he lobs a grenade in their direction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caw2wOC3aDw

This makes setting up our own squad (if that is possible) all the more necessary. :thumbsup:

07 :salute:

I do hope that PS doesn't turn out to be as vile as it appears at times!

I'm always surprised that developers even bother to make any innovative games as these prevalent doings turn every FPS into the same thing.

I'm sure ATAG will approach PS with a mature attitude and that's why they are the only squad I'll be a part of.

ATAG_Scones
May-31-2018, 18:16
Do we have a PS channel on our team Speak ??

Have you seen Rimmer's post above? He was on the TS channel by himself during the weekend play test but nobody showed up.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-31-2018, 18:25
So was that you trying to get into the truck, Knuckles?

nope not me I didn't run after the vehicle, but just stood there like somebody stole my teddy bear !!!!!

ATAG_Ribbs
Jun-01-2018, 08:03
I created the PS channel on TS. I was in there when I actually got to play for a couple of hours. I think I'm going to try a higher super sampling rate next time I get to play, to see if it clears things up graphically wise. Like Boo said I feel like I'm in a 20 meter shade bubble. That could be because I have distant shadows reduced as well. This game will be fun when it's ironed out. Flare..u need to get it!.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-01-2018, 09:48
thanks for doing that Ribbs. If I see guys on T/S it will be a question to jump in

9./JG52 Sturm
Jun-01-2018, 10:26
Pretty gutted to miss out on the test weekend, have been on holiday this week. Hope to get involved on the next one.

ATAG_Vampire
Jun-01-2018, 11:44
thanks for doing that Ribbs. If I see guys on T/S it will be a question to jump in

You don't need TS comms for the game as the in-game comms setup works fine. Key binding 'V' for local voice net ie; members of your squad next or near to you. Key binding 'B' for the your section net and Key binding 'G' for the command net.

What you can use TS for is talking to each other outside of the game setup. This works quite well. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Ribbs
Jun-01-2018, 11:50
Ahh..ok thanks..now it makes sense that no one was answering me on V..when I wasn't around anyone. Haha it is nice to not have to hear everyone that is playing on your side.

Dai-San
Jun-01-2018, 12:45
You don't need TS comms for the game as the in-game comms setup works fine. Key binding 'V' for local voice net ie; members of your squad next or near to you. Key binding 'B' for the your section net and Key binding 'G' for the command net.

What you can use TS for is talking to each other outside of the game setup. This works quite well. :thumbsup:

I agree, in-game chat works well enough but TS is needed to find and organise what server to join as a team.

ATAG_Scones
Jun-02-2018, 06:04
TS is needed to find and organise what server to join as a team.

Seems plausible to me.

I didn't spend much time in game during the play test weekend and I don't know any other way of organizing a squad or finding a common server.

ATAG_Scones
Jun-02-2018, 06:15
I created the PS channel on TS. I was in there when I actually got to play for a couple of hours. I think I'm going to try a higher super sampling rate next time I get to play, to see if it clears things up graphically wise. Like Boo said I feel like I'm in a 20 meter shade bubble. That could be because I have distant shadows reduced as well. This game will be fun when it's ironed out. Flare..u need to get it!.

Thanks for setting it up, Ribbs. :thumbsup: