PDA

View Full Version : can anything be done to reduce building popup + improve the poor visibility bubble ?

Silver
Jan-12-2013, 00:05
has anybody found a way to reduce building popup + improve the poor "visibility bubble" problem ?

this is probably one of the most important issues that currently detracts from the game (together with the medium distance Lod visibility problem, and AI aircraft behavior)

setting building and object density to medium does help, but there is still the problem of the texture maps with the 4 zones of "visibility distance" not providing a smooth transition (with lots of popup of buildings etc)

- do people with uber pc's also have this problem, or is it just med/low level pc's ?
- are there any other settings i can change in the preferences to reduce the problem ?

is this something the atag MoD people are working on ?

this screenshot from another CoD user illustrates the problem well, and illustrates the 4 "visibility zones"

if in comparison you look at some of the older video's ( for ex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z469HXN0hlQ ) , or remember how it used to run on the previous gfx engine (at initial release time), we never did have this problem (but we did have the micro stutter issue)

Borsch
Jan-12-2013, 00:26
Pup up/LODs problem is for me the worst aspect of CLoD's graphics. Some objects like ahirfield hangers on non native airfields pop up much later, after most objects have already appeared. Ground attack is hard to execute and looks bad because of this. I also wonder if the first version had bigger draw distance...

Here's another screenie- highest settings on i5/gtx580.:

http://i54.fastpic.ru/big/2013/0112/ea/dc86ea5dac7232b70b02908b163d7eea.jpg (http://fastpic.ru/)

vranac
Jan-12-2013, 06:54
Yes, I think they shrunk the square, but that wasn't like this in the release version IIRC.
Lot of people had problems runnig it and they made compromise.
I didn't have problems with fast CPU and gtx560.

Silver
Jan-12-2013, 09:41
Yes, I think they shrunk the square, but that wasn't like this in the release version IIRC.
Lot of people had problems runnig it and they made compromise.
I didn't have problems with fast CPU and gtx560.

i dont think this new problem is a "compromise"

i think it is just an unfinished element they didnt have time to tune correctly before the final patch was pushed out the door in a great hurry by luthier (while the RoF hounds were yapping at his door and trying to prevent him from releasing it)

in its current for this "limited visibility bubble" is the major downside of the sim in its current state. i am just trying to find out of people with higher end pc's then mine still suffer from this problem, or if it runs smooth and looks fine for them

if it is a problem for everybody, is there any indication the atag mod group is trying to address this ? (it might well not be within their power if they have limited file access for modification)

ATAG_Colander
Jan-12-2013, 09:48
The mod team is aware of this issue (and many others) and will eventually try to address it. However, no promises can be made.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-12-2013, 09:51
I can't speak for the mod team, but I know this is a limiting factor for bomb aimers trying to level bomb from high altitudes. I believe the first patch is addressing all the flight models, but hopefully this will get a high priority in a subsequent patch because of the tactical aspects of the sim, plus the important visual effect.

Silver
Jan-12-2013, 09:59
thanks for the feedback guys,

it sounds like many others are experiencing it and it is a general problem

good to hear the atag mod team is also going to look at it when they get a change. i suspect with limited files that can be accessed so far, this might be a hard nut to crack. then again, if several of the flight models have already been improved and the high altitude performance has been addressed, it sounds like there might be hope for the visibility bubble issue :)

has anybody been able to improve this problem on their own setup by altering some of the setup options ?

is this issue significantly less severe for those using very high end gfx cards and cpu's ?

just wondering how severe it still is on an uber pc or if people found some improvements by altering certain settings (reducing building density would be the obvious one, or altering visibility distances or the way certain textures load etc)

Borsch
Jan-12-2013, 11:36
they didnt have time to tune correctly before the final patch was pushed out the door in a great hurry by luthier (while the RoF hounds were yapping at his door and trying to prevent him from releasing it)

The last patch was released with Luthier being absent for several months already and Loft being already in charge. Just saying :coolio:

Back on topic, yes first version seems to have bigger draw circle from the videos, but I cant seem to find 1080 vids of the first version, they're all blurry 720 at best. So it hard to say for sure... But curretn CloD is not just tweaked first release version, they completely rewrote the graphical engine - according to Luthier anyway. So maybe we shouldn't even compare them...

Silver
Jan-12-2013, 12:03
The last patch was released with Luthier being absent for several months already and Loft being already in charge. Just saying :coolio:.

not quite

luthier was still around when RC2 was released, and he posted on the 1C forum at the time. there is however little difference between RC2 and the final patch (which should have included a significant amount of further fixes, (as lutheir had already stated was the intention), but because luthier was stabbed in the back between Rc2 and the final patch, the final patch was little different from rc2, and yes, you have loft (we call him Brutus) to thank for that :grrr:

Back on topic, yes first version seems to have bigger draw circle from the videos, but I cant seem to find 1080 vids of the first version, they're all blurry 720 at best. So it hard to say for sure... But curretn CloD is not just tweaked first release version, they completely rewrote the graphical engine - according to Luthier anyway. So maybe we shouldn't even compare them...
i am comparing the 2 releases because for a sim to look as good as the new gfx engine does, it seems not to need a limited visibility bubble to perform that well, it just gives me hope it can be fixed in the current gfx engine :)

il_corleone
Jan-12-2013, 14:42
HD of First Versions by me, i think it shows something like the trees more far away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJu-FqCzY8

Borsch
Jan-12-2013, 14:48
not quite

luthier was still around when RC2 was released, and he posted on the 1C forum at the time. there is however little difference between RC2 and the final patch (which should have included a significant amount of further fixes, (as lutheir had already stated was the intention), but because luthier was stabbed in the back between Rc2 and the final patch, the final patch was little different from rc2, and yes, you have loft (we call him Brutus) to thank for that :grrr:

i am comparing the 2 releases because for a sim to look as good as the new gfx engine does, it seems not to need a limited visibility bubble to perform that well, it just gives me hope it can be fixed in the current gfx engine :)

Luthier also posted as if he was in control when the final steam patch was released- so posting on forums does not mean much by itself. From what i know from suhkoi forums, final patch was a team effort, but Ilya Steshov ("Naryv") was particularly noted for his contribution that went way beyond the line of duty.

And Brutus (ie traitor) Loft? What was his treason, whom did he betray? Dont be ridiculous. OM and Ilya Shevchenko lied at CLOD's launch (maybe " purposefully deceived us" is better). Everything else was a consequence. +++ of course, but that was the catalyst. Not that there was 7 (+1.5 for patch) years of development, great reception in the community with rosy future ahead, and nasty Loft stabbed it all in the back. Please.

Back on topic of draw distance :) I also hope that draw distance will be sorted, but it its not always possible. For example Il2:1946 engine can not have bigger draw distance on any, even most powerful computers, its the limitation of the engine itself.

Borsch
Jan-12-2013, 14:53
HD of First Versions by me, i think it shows something like the trees more far away

Looks beautiful, but we need it to be day time to see more clearly :)

il_corleone
Jan-12-2013, 15:03
hey check out the Progress update trhead guys!

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?2827-Progress-Update&p=26756&viewfull=1#post26756

Borsch
Jan-12-2013, 16:00
hey check out the Progress update trhead guys!

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?2827-Progress-Update&p=26756&viewfull=1#post26756

It's great that things are in motion! Theres a whiff of optimism about it all - excellent! :thumbsup: (And huge thanks to all who are directly involved of course!!)

thee_oddball
Jan-12-2013, 16:49
I made this in 3/30/2011, (don't forget to view in 720p) starting at 1:09 you can see land and tree's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpgTfmkymDE

vranac
Jan-13-2013, 11:22
And Brutus (ie traitor) Loft? What was his treason, whom did he betray? Dont be ridiculous. OM and Ilya Shevchenko lied at CLOD's launch (maybe " purposefully deceived us" is better). Everything else was a consequence. +++ of course, but that was the catalyst. Not that there was 7 (+1.5 for patch) years of development, great reception in the community with rosy future ahead, and nasty Loft stabbed it all in the back. Please.

They lied? What?

They always said that it will be hardware demanding.Maybe marketing guys wrote PC specs needed too low but my friend was playing it with 9800gt on lower resolution and settings.

Catseye
Jan-13-2013, 12:14
Ok, OK!! Knock it off!

This thread has just entered the Banana forum time warp!

Nothing to do with the OP question: "Can anything be done to reduce building popup + improve the poor visibility bubb (sic)"

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-13-2013, 12:28
Ok, OK!! Knock it off!

This thread has just entered the Banana forum time warp!

Nothing to do with the OP question: "Can anything be done to reduce building popup + improve the poor visibility bubb (sic)"

Thanks, Cats, I couldn't have said it better. :D

Besides, I've always felt that we players are like fleas arguing about which direction the dog should be going. Our differences of opinion are just like pouring rum and sand on the afflicted pooch: us little critters get hammered and start throwing rocks at each other! :roflmao:

Can't wait for further word on the patch beta testing! :thumbsup:

peregrine7
Jan-22-2013, 23:59
I just want to clarify, in the original release, any tree setting above low (which was actually off) had trees rendered out to the same point (or thereabouts) as they are now. HOWEVER there was a 2D "second ground" that was the colour of trees that was rendered out to the horizon, showing up wherever there were trees. I may have a screenshot handy... Nah, my only screenshots from that point are looking down, none show the horizon :(

Borsch
Jan-23-2013, 10:59
I just want to clarify, in the original release, any tree setting above low (which was actually off) had trees rendered out to the same point (or thereabouts) as they are now. HOWEVER there was a 2D "second ground" that was the colour of trees that was rendered out to the horizon, showing up wherever there were trees. I may have a screenshot handy... Nah, my only screenshots from that point are looking down, none show the horizon :(

This is very interesting! RoF follows exactly the path you describe with its genre leading draw distance

http://i53.fastpic.ru/big/2012/1225/3b/b64607f2454643ecb1ea5722628e853b.jpg