PDA

View Full Version : Engine water post-landing overheat?

PerFolmer
Jan-14-2013, 14:30
I've been thinking about a problem I've witnessed a few times and how to resolve it.
After touching down and shutting down the engine I've seen the engine water gauge rising alarmingly
and eventually, if I do not turn the engine back on again, overheating the engine with clouds of smoke from the radiator.
Now, this doesn't happen all the time, but enough to really make me think about what I do wrong.
I cannot remember overheating the aircraft in flight. It may be some battle damage but I'm not convinced of that at all.
(I've experienced it in a hurricane, 109 (?model) and a 110 C4, both engines. I've let the temperature on engine oils go down
before I shut down, as well as far as the coolant radiator will let the water temp go down but the coolant temp just keeps rising
until overheating. It must be something really simple I do wrong.

I usually shut down the engine by turning off the fuel cocks.

Any help is appreciated!

/Per

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-14-2013, 14:42
Sadly - this is one of many game bugs. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. It has nothing to do with how you are controlling the plane. It shouldn't overheat when off!

Mattias
Jan-14-2013, 14:47
:salute:

This is a strange bug with an even stranger solution -after turning the engine off (turning off the fuel cocks) close all radiators. For sóme reason this prevents the overheating :D

Cheers/m

PerFolmer
Jan-14-2013, 15:55
Sadly - this is one of many game bugs. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. It has nothing to do with how you are controlling the plane. It shouldn't overheat when off!

:salute:

This is a strange bug with an even stranger solution -after turning the engine off (turning off the fuel cocks) close all radiators. For sóme reason this prevents the overheating :D

Cheers/m

Thanks fellas.
Strange way to solve the problem, indeed. I gotta check that out.
Thanks again!

/Per

LG1.Farber
Jan-18-2013, 22:25
In the 109 you must let Coolant drop to below 80 degrees, I recall this from pilot notes I believe...

Ill try and find the source because it interests me.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-18-2013, 22:44
In the 109 you must let Coolant drop to below 80 degrees, I recall this from pilot notes.

Engine damage will not occur, that happens in game, with an engine that is shut off. This is a game bug.

There isn't a liquid cooled combustion engine that will ever blow a head gasket without combustion. The heat of combustion can overcome the coolant meant to circulate and cool the cylinder head and block - meaning it will get too hot and can have the possibility of warping the head/block surface, resulting in a blown head gasket. Without combustion (running engine) this is an impossibility. While coolant temperature may increase slightly with a non-circulating (aka - non running engine / mechanical water pump) combustion temperature is falling off very rapidly (1000's of degrees when running). We get coolant leaks, blown head gaskets, oil leaks, all AFTER the engine is shut off. This is not possible in real life and is bugged badly in the game.

LG1.Farber
Jan-19-2013, 20:03
Yes here it is,

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/farber82/80degrees_zps0178d445.png

Abstellen des motors.

Kühlwassertemperatur sollte nicht mehr als 80 C beträgen.

Translation:

Stopping the Engine

Cooling water temperature should not exceed 80 C Value.

Bf 109 E Betriebsanleitung Page 8.

Stopping the engine.
1.Throttle is neutral.
2.Engine to cool by about 3 minutes idling, this ignition depending on some Ziet M2, then M1, and here do bring to 0. Cooling water temperature not higher than 80 C amounts.
3.Cock close until engine stops running
4.Electrical system shut down.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-19-2013, 21:03
Good info - I think most manufacturers of combustion engines without electronic/computer-controlled fuel injection will have much of the same information.

When the cylinders (not combustion chambers) are are excessively hot, (coolant level too hot) this can cause both pre-combustion and detonation. This basically makes fuel explode/combust without the need/assistance of a spark plug's spark. That can lead to an entire set of goofy problems that could in reality melt a piston, burn valves, blow head gaskets etc., from the excessive heat made by the wrong fuel timings. With no way other than analog gauges to see this sort of thing happening, the engine can not correct itself.

With modern combustion engines, all these parameters are constantly monitored by various sensors/thermistors/hall effect devices etc, and can help with excessive heat, by not only changing fuel timing/pulse width, but also electronic timing/ignition as well. Worst case scenario (say the dumb driver scenario) many modern vehicles will actually either kill/shut off the fuel injectors/ignition spark to try to get the engine under control (detonation/precombustion) and cooled down. Coolant doesn't get hot without combustion, is the idea of this.

So I can imagine, based on the pilots notes, if someone was to start a heat soaked engine that was excessively hot, it would probably have a bunch of detonation (which could eat/burn away the combustion chamber/pistons/valves) very easily. Clearly a good practice to avoid! :thumbsup: