PDA

View Full Version : Aviation art

ATAG_Laser
Jul-21-2018, 10:52
I was having a conversation with Marlow last weekend at Duxford about a number of prints of aviation paintings that I inherited from my late uncle after he passed away in 1999, and thought I would share them with you all.

Taking pride of place hanging on my wall is this one, 'Last flight home' by Robert Taylor depicting Lancaster bombers returning from a raid

This is one of a limited edition run of prints and has been hand signed by (Then) surviving Lancaster V.C holders, Leonard Cheshire, Bill Reid, Norman Jackson and Roderick Learoyd.

The other prints have been stored in my attic, but today I have brought them all down and taken these pics
36083 36084 36085360863608736088

The Sea Fury print 'Landing on' is another favourite of mine, and is also a one of a limited edition run of prints

Most of these were painted by Robert Taylor and all except for 'HMS Ark Royal' have been signed. Not sure who the signatures are except for 'Typhoon Attack' which has been signed by Wing Commander Roland Beamont https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Beamont

That's all I know about them really.

ATAG_Marlow
Jul-21-2018, 11:09
Fantastic prints, Lase! 'Flight of Eagles' is a very famous and desirable print. In fact, during one of my excursions over to the dark side I'm sure I heard JG52 discussing how they would pay shed loads of money for a copy!
I love the Sunderland print and the Strirlings.......and all of them look in very good condition. I'm sure you'd have no difficulty selling them but, like me, you probably have no intention of doing that. I'm no expert but I would now revise my initial estimate upwards. Between £1000 - £2000?

Thanks for sharing. Salute :thumbsup:

ATAG_Vampire
Jul-21-2018, 12:34
Nice one Lase. Thanks for posting.

The 'Flight of Eagles' has the signature of none other than Generalleutnant ADOLF GALLAND KC WITH OAK LEAVES, SWORDS AND DIAMONDS.

If you tell JG52 that you have a print with his signature on it they will make you an honorary member. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2018, 12:41
I'm gonna tell them I've got one too then. :dthumb:

ATAG_Laser
Jul-21-2018, 13:25
If you tell JG52 that you have a print with his signature on it they will make you an honorary member. :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

Does that mean they might go a bit easy on me in future when I am flying a spit or Hurri on the server? :recon:

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2018, 13:31
Yep.... hence why i just found one in the garage.

Mine is signed by loads of brilliant german pilots. And is actually the original painting too. Even the artist got in on the action and signed it. Using his own pencil. (Faber Castell.... 2h)

Ohms
Jul-21-2018, 22:28
I have a bunch of Robert Taylor’s work hanging on walls. I was lucky enough to get the original Battle of Britain prints released for the 50th and with all the same serial number, so a matched set. Also have Knights of the Eastern front , Combat over London, Abberville Boys, Russian Roulette, Head on Attack, Stienhoff Tribute and Strike Against the Akagi . Three of them still need to be framed. Bought them all when I was single .

Forgot but also have Spitfire from the mid 70s that my Dad bought when we still lived in Redcar in the North East.

IIJG27Rich
Jul-22-2018, 04:03
I have this one by Jerry Crandall signed by Hartmann

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61-AHUnaulL._SX425_.jpg

9./JG52 gr00ve
Jul-22-2018, 04:42
Does that mean they might go a bit easy on me in future when I am flying a spit or Hurri on the server? :recon:

hm.....no!
:D

nice prints

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-22-2018, 20:14
hm.....no!

nice prints

Hmm well!

That's pants!