PDA

View Full Version : Fire effects- how awesome were these?! :)

Borsch
Jan-15-2013, 19:02
I think these fire effects were chopped even befroe the release version, but could they possibly be recovered- I wonder, I wonder :)

Just look at those raging infernos!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/SoW/Rand/shot_20100712_115154.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/SoW/Rand/shot_20100712_120022.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/SoW/Rand/shot_20100628_134604.jpg

Mattias
Jan-15-2013, 19:20
Looks fantastic :thumbsup:
From where are those screenshots taken?

Cheers/m

Jaws
Jan-16-2013, 00:57
I remember how much crap Oleg and Ilya got when they posted those shots, before the game was released.:doh:

TheVino3
Jan-16-2013, 03:08
The first and second screenshots look like theyre using the old 1946 method for smoke, and ive come across no fire effects like that in my travels through CloD files...
I suspect these were just effect tests, and therefore im guessing the material was just scrapped/not shipped.

The plane damage effects do need redoing, but im thinking it'll be more a case of redoing it from scratch

CHDT
Jan-16-2013, 04:27
Hi all,

If you want to see really good flame effects, just have a look at Planetside2, a free to play FPS.
In this game, flame effects are very pretty AND with the right colors (Clodo flames are too vivid, like all the other colors).

CHDT
Jan-16-2013, 04:29
In PlanetSide, smoke effects are also top, very large and realist.
Please, have a look at it, devs, it may be interesting.
On the PlanetSide desert map, there is also a very interesting effect, a small wind haze near the ground,
which would be excellent for a possible future Clodo desert map.

CHDT
Jan-16-2013, 04:31
"The plane damage effects do need redoing..."

Last remark here about PlanetSide ;-)

This game may be an arcade fps, but I may say that the effects seen when an "airplane" is touched or destroyed in this game are the best I've seen until now, they look as real as they can.

Continu0
Jan-16-2013, 04:31
I think the first two screens are only awesome because the fire is so bright. This makes the fire-Effect look more "wild" or however you want to say ist. But the shape of the flame and smoke does not impress me much. Afaik the brightness-thing has to do something with the DirectX-Version that is used.

Now the third Screenshot is really amazing because the smoke is still burning, meaning that there is fire "in the smoke". I don´t know how realistic this is, but it looks impressive...

Btw: @ TheVino3: I read feedback about the modified smoke-Effect (see Video in the "Progress-Update" thread) that might be interesting for you. It has been said that the smoke-effect is "too fast", meaning that it looks like you play the video "fast-forward". There is a point in that if you ask me, but I still like the thick smoke shown in the video more than the default-smoke...

Borsch
Jan-16-2013, 07:02
Looks fantastic :thumbsup:
From where are those screenshots taken?

OM/Luthier posted them before release of the game

I remember how much crap Oleg and Ilya got when they posted those shots, before the game was released.:doh:

I cant believe people were dissatisfied with these. Even 2d smoke is imho looking good from most perspectives in the game and it wouldnt kill the frame rate like the current particle system in CLoD. It's thick, you can use loads of it for smoke trails without any fps impact whatsoever.

If you watch guncams, there are plenty of VIOLENT explosions and fireballs, current CLoD fire look puny and pathetic, current big air explosions are semi transparent and look very "10 year old computer game" -ish;) This fire looks wild and scary. 1433

Did people really complain about it in force? Maan... My opinion about banana forums has sank to all time low.

The first and second screenshots look like theyre using the old 1946 method for smoke, and ive come across no fire effects like that in my travels through CloD files...
I suspect these were just effect tests, and therefore im guessing the material was just scrapped/not shipped.

The plane damage effects do need redoing, but im thinking it'll be more a case of redoing it from scratch

Sad to hear that these are missing completely from the files (I believe even there was even a screenshot on the retail box of CloD with these effects- false advertising? :) )

I think the first two screens are only awesome because the fire is so bright. This makes the fire-Effect look more "wild" or however you want to say ist. But the shape of the flame and smoke does not impress me much. Afaik the brightness-thing has to do something with the DirectX-Version that is used.

Now the third Screenshot is really amazing because the smoke is still burning, meaning that there is fire "in the smoke". I don´t know how realistic this is, but it looks impressive...

The fire is bright and big (remember its fed by oxygen at a very high rate in a flying plane), and it looks wild- you're absolutely right. The shape of a glowing fireball is imho quite good as it overalps the damaged area of the wing nad hides imperfections of this overlap.
The third one is almost certainly realistic as OM was a professional photographer and he had exactly the same vision of plane fire in the original Il2 (notice how fire also blends with smoke)1434 http://s7.postimage.org/94rfeos5z/il2_2013_01_16_11_45_32_281.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/94rfeos5z/)

Overall these are on a completely different level to what we have currently.