PDA

View Full Version : More Oculus Rift goodness

Chivas
Jan-17-2013, 20:38
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-rift-at-ces-2013-recap/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI&feature=youtu.be

Flight sim developers will really miss a great opportunity if they don't get involved with the Oculus Rift developers kit being released in a few months for only three hundred dollars.

Not sure if the mod community would be able to adapt COD to work with the Oculus Rift, but I would certainly donate fifty bucks to that cause.

Recoilfx
Jan-17-2013, 22:06
There is a commercial injector in development, so hopefully we can use it like sweetFx. Not sure about the 3D aspect though. My main concern is actually the translational (X, Y & Z) head tracking - there is none for the dev version, only rotation (Pitch, yaw and tilt). We can theoretically combine trackir's input with the IMU from the Oculus, but TrackIR has really high lag compare to Oculus, so it will be rather weird to have certain head movements lagging.

Chivas
Jan-17-2013, 22:22
I could be wrong but its my understanding Oculus Rift will be 6DOF.

TheVino3
Jan-17-2013, 23:00
I could be wrong but its my understanding Oculus Rift will be 6DOF.

Yeah I read the consumer version will have 6DOF, but that may have been just a consideration/could have been removed for some reason.

If theres an injector...then...this game will never be the same :stunned:

TheVino3
Jan-18-2013, 20:00
There is a commercial injector in development, so hopefully we can use it like sweetFx. Not sure about the 3D aspect though. My main concern is actually the translational (X, Y & Z) head tracking - there is none for the dev version, only rotation (Pitch, yaw and tilt). We can theoretically combine trackir's input with the IMU from the Oculus, but TrackIR has really high lag compare to Oculus, so it will be rather weird to have certain head movements lagging.

http://www.break.com/index/the-coolest-new-vr-tech-you-ll-see-today-2407551

In this video Palmer Lucky says that they are working on having the translation implemented for the consumer version.
He agrees its a pretty 'must-have' feature, so have no fear :thumbsup:

Mastiff
Jan-19-2013, 08:38
I don't see how this would work with a flight Sim, as you would need two different devices; one were the air frame is still and the head movement separate.

TheVino3
Jan-19-2013, 08:58
I don't see how this would work with a flight Sim, as you would need two different devices; one were the air frame is still and the head movement separate.

It would work pretty much exactly the same as TrackIR does now, except the screen will be on your face :)

Mastiff
Jan-19-2013, 10:06
It would work pretty much exactly the same as TrackIR does now, except the screen will be on your face :)

my monitor doesn't move, my head does, moving the head inside the cockpit.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-19-2013, 10:39
Ah, but if you move the TrackIR sensor off your monitor (say...on a shelf immediately behind your monitor), then duct tape your monitor to your face -- you'll find that your head + attached-monitor movements will have you panning around the cockpit normally. You'd probably need an Abe Lincoln top hat though, with the TrackIR clip duct taped at the top to provide a clear line of sight to the Track IR sensor sitting on that shelf about three feet away. And a bag if ice for your neck......:D

LizLemon
Jan-19-2013, 22:10

Doesn't nvidia 3d vision work with CLOD?

Flyingblind
Jan-20-2013, 08:33
Ah, but if you move the TrackIR sensor off your monitor (say...on a shelf immediately behind your monitor), then duct tape your monitor to your face -- you'll find that your head + attached-monitor movements will have you panning around the cockpit normally. You'd probably need an Abe Lincoln top hat though, with the TrackIR clip duct taped at the top to provide a clear line of sight to the Track IR sensor sitting on that shelf about three feet away. And a bag if ice for your neck......:D

That is exactly the solution I am working on. Why not suspend your monitor from an arm attached to a pan and tilt bracket just over your head and with a counterbalance. I would build a high backed seat. The pan and tilt would be moved with a couple of geared DC motors controlled from an Arduino board and motor shield. The positioning would be done with an IR emitter on your head and sensors attached above the monitor. The monitor would then stay in front of your head as you looked around.

What you would need then is an encoder attached to each of the pan and tilt axis to provide output to something like ppjoy which would convert it to mouse movement and change the xy view in sync with your head and moving monitor. With this setup you would indeed look around the virtual world without the immersion killer of the view sliding about behind your stationary screen. To check your six you would actually look over your shoulder. You would also have input from all the motion sensing abilities of your head which are entirely lost even with TrackIR and Freeview. You could still use your TrackIR to give you side to side and in out DOFs and disable all other axis.

I reckon the cost would be well under 100 quid and probably nearer 50 depending on what bits and pieces you have lying around.

The only downside would be if your setup is in your living room where a monitor zooming round your head might not be viewed too kindly by your nearest and dearest especially if the motors and gearboxes are a bit noisy and you have a curious toddler that could get flattened. Although that might be seen as a plus.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-20-2013, 10:12
What an intriguing concept, Flyingblind. I wonder if there's anything out in the marketplace. Fortunately, technology has cooperated by replacing the old vacuum tube monitors with the much lighter and compact LED/LCD counterparts.

Flyingblind
Jan-20-2013, 11:45
I am comfortable doing the construction although little knowledge of the electronic side. It would use standard robotic techniques and there is tonnes of stuff on google and various forums I can trawl or seek advice on creating or modifying suitable code or sketches. I am quite sure it would work but it is not something that anyone would market because compared to Oculus Rift or other visors it would be a bit unwealdy in a home plus the obvious elf and safety implications. For me that is more than offset by the cost of visors plus I love the idea of getting away from a fixed monitor. Even with TrackIR you have to do that dreadful move your head and squint back at the screen contortion. It would work in 3D I am sure and given your motors are strong enough you could even use 3 monitors. The motor shields can supply 12, 24 or even 36 volts.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-20-2013, 11:57
For 6 grand it doesn't come with LCD monitors.....but it does have a cup holder. Every household should have one IMHO:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/01/12/ces-the-best-pc-gaming-chair-6000-can-buy

Flyingblind
Jan-20-2013, 12:09
Well mine will have a cup holder, a drinks dispenser and a cigar lighter and still come in at under a 100 quid. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-20-2013, 12:24
Adolf Galland would approve! LOL

thee_oddball
Jan-20-2013, 14:16
FREX CanopySCREEN
http://www.frex.com/gp/canopy/canopy_en.html

say goodbye to your LCD :)
http://www.gizmag.com/curved-lcd-contact-lenses/25312/

golden_i
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufwp6YnI6nc

thee_oddball
Jan-20-2013, 14:17
For 6 grand it doesn't come with LCD monitors.....but it does have a cup holder. Every household should have one IMHO:

bloody hell! where did they get that...steven hawkins living room :)

Flyingblind
Jan-22-2013, 15:40
I have put my money where my mouth is to see if this idea will work and ordered most of the essential bits. Half the fun will be to see how little I need to spend. Most of the stuff like MDF for the seat and bits of scrap metal like old shelving sections, angle aluminium etc I have stashed around the place along with various bearings and fastenings.

I ordered all the Arduino bits as a kit that has all I need. It was 37 pounds (this forum wont do pound signs) on Amazon but I found I could get the same kit from the States for 24 inc postage. Only problem is it is shipped from China so will take a couple of weeks to arrive and I hope I don't get caught for any import tax.

I found a pair of suitable 2nd hand 24 volt motors on ebay for 16 pounds. They do not have a reduction gearbox but they are much more powerful than similarly priced geared motors and have small timing belt pulleys attached to shafts so I can reduce if necessary plus a belt would be quieter than a gearbox. A good 24 volt power supply was a further 10.

I need to do a little more research before investing in infrared sensors and transmitters but I doubt they will be more than a few pounds. I am also holding fire on the rotary encoders as although again they are only a few quid I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to hack an old ball type computer mouse. That way it would be seen as a mouse and work without any further faffing about.

The only major barrier to getting underway is the lack of a space to work. I did started building a shed last year but events got in the way before the winter set in so will need a few days to get that done once the weather brightens.

So watch this space and any help and suggestions will be welcome.

Kinex
Jan-22-2013, 19:44
Ok so this is the thread I was looking for.

So here's my consideration and my small project.

Imagine you are using Oculus. You will be in the cockpit but how you would interact with the hotas and the keyboard without seeing directly your buttons? ( since your visual are covered by the oculus) ??

So my idea is to put a webcam on the Oculus. With the press of a button you activate the webcam and you actually see what the webcam see : your desk.

Specifically, your desk wouldppear as a trasparent overaly with a slider to set trasparence to taste. So actually if you need to switch to reserve fuel you press the button, activate the webcam, look at your keyboard, press the button on the keyboard, release the button, deactivate the webcam, all just with a trasparent overaly over the game so you don't lose control on the plane.

What do you think? Please respond, i'm very passionate about this. :-)

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Jan-22-2013, 21:00
Web cam...that works for me.

Plus a device that tracks you hand motion. So when in Oculus mode, you can see our hands (transparent) and even interact with the virtual cock-pit.

Chivas
Jan-22-2013, 21:57
Personally I rarely have to touch the keyboard, while using the Oculus, as I have enough options on my Hotas. I'm currently using a MSFF2 joystick, Cougar Throttle, and Saitek throttle quadrant.

Saitek Throttle Quadrant....Mix/Rads/Fuel/Start
Extra bay if needed
Cougar Throttle ................................................MS FF2 Joystick

I would put another button/rot bay between the Saitek Throttle and Cougar Throttle if more selections were required. I could keep my right hand on the joystick while my left hand could easily find all the necessary functions. Which reminds me, I've taken the circuit board out of the Cougar joystick and could make another rot/button bay with it.

This not to say the camera idea wouldn't be a good idea, I'm just not sold on it yet.

Logan
Jan-24-2013, 19:59
LOL I can hear the wife now..WTF are you doing? Why do you have a TV taped to your head? Have you gone mad? What are you drinking?:-P

Kinex
Jan-25-2013, 08:10
It's clearly a joke.

I hope :D

machoo
Jan-25-2013, 21:04
This will make games amazing. It'll be like you are in another life while playing. I bet people will end up having heart attacks in some situations.

J2_SteveF
Jan-27-2013, 06:42
From what I've read does't it require game developers to get their games to 60 fps as a minimum.
For CloD that would be the hurdle that needs addressing before it'd work for us.

machoo
Jan-31-2013, 01:47
Oculus are going to be on the Jimmy Fallon show today , whatever time that is in the US - I think 10:30pm or somthing. When this comes out it will make multiple sfcreens pretty much useless unless you are a graphics designer.

machoo
Feb-03-2013, 04:41
Was watching some more Oculus video on youtube - Ii cracked and brought the prototype with SDK , will arrive in April.

Can. Not. Wait.

Chivas
Feb-05-2013, 14:44
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/

Very interesting latest developer information.