PDA

View Full Version : FPS Improvement?

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-25-2018, 20:01
Until recently my PC system has struggled with the Normandy map. Even at reduced video settings I would get reduced framerates at low altitudes, plus a pronounced lag in my controller inputs. Recently there have been two changes:

1) the latest DCS update (of a continuing series), and

2) a major Windows 10 update.

Between the two I’ve noticed a huge improvement in overall frame rates and smoothness, even at full 1080p res, plus peripheral input lag virtually gone.

Anyone else?

ATAG_Highseas
Oct-25-2018, 20:16
Soon as I get back to England im taking a Huey up over Normandy. Ohh yeah...

Tell me....

Does the spitfire still give you a full blackout if you breath slightly on the stick and use a gnats nadgers width of forward pitch?

Genuinely interested!

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-25-2018, 20:43
For me - yes. I really had to S-curve the snot out of my X, Y, and Z axis to get some kind of controllability out of mild stick/rudder inputs. Any major inputs and you exceed your S-curve dial-down and enter the realm of exponential control surface deflection. Wheeeeee!!!

And the pitch control doesn’t feel right. Full downward pitch applied yet the I’m still fighting to keep the nose down.

By comparison, Blitz/BoX/A2A Spits all fly and trim “normally” on my system.

ATAG_Torian
Oct-26-2018, 06:44
Actually seems a drop in FPS for me flying down low over towns. I have my settings ramped up mostly to max tho on my 1920x1080 27" monitor. My GTX 1070 gets pushed to it's limits including all of the 8Gb of VRAM being used. DCS is certainly resource intensive, it seems to me anyway. Servers can be slow to load...even Aussie servers. My guess is the level of detail in the maps...and the Normandy map is the smallest at 10GB (Nevada is 33GB), CloD Blitz whole game is less than 8GB. Maybe DCS is better optimized for Ultra High Def large screens at 144Hz or more being run by a GTX 1080Ti or better, dunno but it seems like DCS is really aimed at the hard core simmer who is prepared to splash the cash to fly it. And fair enuff, there are plenty who want that and are prepared to do the hard yards learning their way thru it all. I wish I had the time.
The Spitfire is certainly needing some attention to it's axis inputs including trim axes. As u say, u are in for a surprise taking off without "tuned" axis S curves. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix bugs in the WW2 planes. The cockpit canopy reflections are still there when the canopy is open for crying out loud. Been like that for ages. Still, I do like the modelling on the planes. More high def than in CloD and BoX IMO. CloD cockpits are great but the external panels are better in DCS IMO whereas aircraft externals in CloD are more pixelly.