PDA

View Full Version : So I heard you guys like racing...

ATAG_Flare
Mar-09-2019, 20:49
Stay tuned ;)

https://i.imgur.com/HEfvt2A.jpg

Don't forget to paint up your Su-26s.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-10-2019, 12:52
Stay tuned ;)

https://i.imgur.com/HEfvt2A.jpg

Don't forget to paint up your Su-26s.

Come on, Flare! What's happening - I can't bear the suspense!

:salute:

DRock
Mar-10-2019, 12:54
https://i.imgur.com/rNbRwW5.jpeg

farley
Mar-10-2019, 15:26
Come on, Flare! What's happening - I can't bear the suspense!

Spoiler Alert!!!

I'll give you a hint Scones......

Ezzie hot on the tail of Marlow!

(Oh my..... I think Marlow just wet himself....)

roflmao

ATAG_Scones
Mar-10-2019, 16:59
Spoiler Alert!!!

roflmao

:)

ATAG_Vampire
Mar-10-2019, 17:06
Spoiler Alert!!!

roflmao

The chap in front is too young to be Marlow farley. :D

07 :salute:

ATAG_Knight
Mar-10-2019, 17:40
The chap in front is too young to be Marlow farley. :D

:thumbsup:

ATAG_Vampire
Mar-10-2019, 17:42
Looks more like me racing to pick my Pension up. :grandpa

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-10-2019, 18:25
Looks more like me racing to pick my Pension up. :grandpa

only to be mugged by the Highwayman a few moments later :)

ATAG_Flare
Mar-12-2019, 23:02
Mark your calendars for April 7th, tentative date subject to change. Probably around 2000 utc +/- an hour or two. More details to come (have to figure out how to get the track on a server to race it) and I'll post the track soonTM for singleplayer practicing.

But I really want to see all the cool race paintjobs you guys come up with.

ATAG_Freya
Mar-14-2019, 00:22
Let me set the bar really low then:

That's right! MS paint. And I'm sticking to it. Wrong number on the a/c but I can fix that with about an hours work. (should read '42', common mistake.) Don't tell TFS I can skin this good, plz.

PS. sorry my other screen becomes part of the 'screen capture'. Its as weird for me as it is for you.

DRock
Mar-14-2019, 13:11
Let me set the bar really low then:

That's right! MS paint. And I'm sticking to it. Wrong number on the a/c but I can fix that with about an hours work. (should read '42', common mistake.) Don't tell TFS I can skin this good, plz.

PS. sorry my other screen becomes part of the 'screen capture'. Its as weird for me as it is for you.

I can show you GIMP if you like. I’ll be on tonight, maybe with Ribbs.

GIMP is free and I can show anyone who wants to join TS.

ATAG_Flare
Mar-14-2019, 17:27
Not bad for MS Paint Freya!

Another post with more details and maybe the track will come as soon as I can. Working on a bunch of skins right now (totally not just blatant ripoffs of F1 cars, I swear) and the track is pretty much done. Not quite as good I think as Freya's old one, but should still be fun to race.

ATAG_Dave
Mar-14-2019, 18:03
Great Stuff Flare :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:- finally some motivation to dust off the sidewinder. Now I just have to update the game and try to remember how to fly :)

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-14-2019, 18:25
Great Stuff Flare :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:- finally some motivation to dust off the sidewinder. Now I just have to update the game and try to remember how to fly :)

Ha !

Like you were ever going to forget !

Good to see you Dave :salute:

ATAG_Flare
Mar-14-2019, 19:22

Sounds great Dave! Just waiting for you to obliterate all our lap times like you did last time we did racing.

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-15-2019, 01:41
Where are the old racing videos?

I can't find my old skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwj-5i8pQ1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0CuimFwPk

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-15-2019, 17:24
Ha ha ha

I found a video I barely remember making while looking for my Su-26 skin, that I never even posted from some time in 2016. roflmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPnNsipkCI&feature=youtu.be

ATAG_Flare
Mar-15-2019, 20:01
Where are the old racing videos?

I can't find my old skin.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cPWxXdobqo

You had a great skin, Yo - hopefully you can either do a new one or find the RadBull skin.

If the RadBull doesn't turn up you might have to settle for the RedBlue....

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-15-2019, 21:01
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cPWxXdobqo

You had a great skin, Yo - hopefully you can either do a new one or find the RadBull skin.

If the RadBull doesn't turn up you might have to settle for the RedBlue....

Yeah I was looking at making a redbull one too.

https://i.imgur.com/ZomaxOy.png

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-16-2019, 03:28
Got a bit of a start on it tonight.

38681 38682

ATAG_Dave
Mar-16-2019, 09:07
I still have my original paint here 38683

Im buggered if I can remember what I need to do with it so that it gets used when i fly???

ATAG_Scones
Mar-16-2019, 11:20
I still have my original paint here 38683

Im buggered if I can remember what I need to do with it so that it gets used when i fly???

Your skin file needs to be placed here:

This PC/Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/PaintSchemes/ Skins/Su-26M.

Then, after you've chosen the Sukhoi in 'PLANE OPTIONS', you select your skin on the Paintscheme dropdown list.

Hope this helps.

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-16-2019, 11:58
Your skin file needs to be placed here:

This PC/Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/PaintSchemes/ Skins/Su-26M.

Then, after you've chosen the Sukhoi in 'PLANE OPTIONS', you select your skin on the Paintscheme dropdown list.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, I put my skins in the main folder. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\PaintSchemes\Skins\Su-26M

Tibsun
Mar-16-2019, 12:42
Hmm, I put my skins in the main folder. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\PaintSchemes\Skins\Su-26M

When you launch CloD and load a skin, it will be copied over to documents anyway.

ATAG_Dave
Mar-16-2019, 13:10

lovely got it working - thanks for the help fellas :thumbsup:

ATAG_Flare
Mar-16-2019, 13:43
Nice skin Scones!

ATAG_Scones
Mar-16-2019, 15:01
Nice skin Scones!

Thanks, Flare.

I thought it would be fun to do and it was. But it's nowhere near what you guys are doing.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-16-2019, 15:06

That's interesting. Should I be placing my skins in the main folder and do they load quicker from there?

Tibsun
Mar-16-2019, 17:06
That's interesting. Should I be placing my skins in the main folder and do they load quicker from there?

They load quicker from documents, since it won't need to copy it over there when you load up the skin.
The documents folder is acting as cache folder for all the files that's in there.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-16-2019, 17:54
They load quicker from documents, since it won't need to copy it over there when you load up the skin.
The documents folder is acting as cache folder for all the files that's in there.

Thanks, Tibsun.

I've always placed my skin files in the documents folder just because I am very wary of messing about with anything in the game files. Now, I have a better reason for doing so. :)

ATAG_Dave
Mar-16-2019, 20:07

Does that mean that it would make sense for us all to upload each others skins into that folder so we dont get that horrible moment of pause (usually as we are flying into a hanger 4 abreast!) as the server uploads someones skin????

ATAG_yotheguy
Mar-16-2019, 20:20
Does that mean that it would make sense for us all to upload each others skins into that folder so we dont get that horrible moment of pause (usually as we are flying into a hanger 4 abreast!) as the server uploads someones skin????

We could test, but I don't think there is any evidence they will load faster for being in the Doc file.

The cache file loads the other players skin with a unique file name (Not the name the player gave it)

Think I'm about done here:
38686 38687 38688 38689 38690 38691

ATAG_Flare
Mar-16-2019, 21:34

Unfortunately not, Dave. The server will still send the skin over the internet.

Imagine if I knew that your skin was names daves_skin.jpg. I could just make a file called daves_skin.jpg, paint it bright yellow, and it would be way easier for me to see your plane in a dogfight. We wouldn't want that to be possible.

@Yotheguy, nice job! I like the bits on the wingtips and the edges of the elevators.

Tibsun
Mar-17-2019, 01:15
Thanks, Tibsun.

I've always placed my skin files in the documents folder just because I am very wary of messing about with anything in the game files. Now, I have a better reason for doing so. :)

Yeah, If any trouble graphics or game bugs, just delete the documents folder, and the game will refresh it with the main folder files.
I had my graphics issues with the new patch fixed by refrehsing (deleting) the graphics file conf.ini from documents, and also controls not saving fixed by deleting the confuser.ini
And my loadout not saving new customs settings in the new patch fixed by deleting the loadout file user.ini
Just be aware that you lose those settings if you delete them completely.

It defintely boost (or better say skips the pause) on the standard squadron skins, when you try to have a quick look on all the skins in your loadout screen.
So copy all the paintschemes in the main to your documents paintschemes, and your game won't load up (with a big pause) each skin individually when you try to scroll down all the skins for a quick look.

As for custom skins, I don't know if the game accepts it as Flare said, I think DRock thinks it works.
If it works, it defnitely would skip the pause you get!

ATAG_Scones
Mar-17-2019, 05:38
Why are we given two places to store our custom skins? Is it just because we are more likely to lose them if they are placed in the game's skin folder?

Tibsun
Mar-17-2019, 09:10
It's not just two places.
Documents is there for the cache and changes on all the user settings while original settings stay in main with the same name
The game copies over only needed files, if you don't use them they won't be copied over to save space.
Nowadays you probably don't need to save space so it's easier to just copy them manually over there to skip the pause.
It is possible that windows also boosts the documents (user) folders aswell. So it might be quicker to have stuff there.
Lots of games and programs save their cache there.
Guess where your youtube video termporaries are saved - in the user directory.

So just place them in document's and back up your schemes anyway, so you won't lose them either by refreshing your main and your document's.
Otherwise your scheme will be doubled and copied over to documents and have a pause when placed in main.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-17-2019, 13:20
It's not just two places.
Documents is there for the cache and changes on all the user settings while original settings stay in main with the same name
The game copies over only needed files, if you don't use them they won't be copied over to save space.
Nowadays you probably don't need to save space so it's easier to just copy them manually over there to skip the pause.
It is possible that windows also boosts the documents (user) folders aswell. So it might be quicker to have stuff there.
Lots of games and programs save their cache there.
Guess where your youtube video termporaries are saved - in the user directory.

So just place them in document's and back up your schemes anyway, so you won't lose them either by refreshing your main and your document's.
Otherwise your scheme will be doubled and copied over to documents and have a pause when placed in main.

Thanks, Tibsun.

I'll stay with using the documents folder.

ATAG_Scones
Mar-17-2019, 13:25
We could test, but I don't think there is any evidence they will load faster for being in the Doc file.

The cache file loads the other players skin with a unique file name (Not the name the player gave it)

Think I'm about done here:
38686 38687 38688 38689 38690 38691

Very nice indeed, Yo'. I think you've set the benchmark with that!

ATAG_TCP
Mar-18-2019, 03:47
Aye, top work Yo!
Will be interesting to see what skins everyone comes up with :D

I am trying something simple, yet hopefully interesting ;)

DRock
Apr-04-2019, 08:57
Do we have a racing team expense cap?

I may have blown my budget last night on our team aircraft.

Custom paint, carbon fibre, titanium,...this is getting serious in our hanger.

Looking forward to more events on ATAG.:thumbsup:

ATAG_Lord Wukits
Apr-04-2019, 11:57
I wish i could attend this as well.

Speaking of racing, and more events...

There are some driveable tanks.

ATAG_Flare
Apr-06-2019, 19:07
So that April 7th date doesn't look like it can happen anymore. Gotta get the map set up for MP then we can race it on another weekend!

DRock
May-10-2019, 12:39
So that April 7th date doesn't look like it can happen anymore. Gotta get the map set up for MP then we can race it on another weekend!

Is this still gonna happen? Hope so.

ATAG_Noofy
May-10-2019, 13:34
Count me in if this materiaizes :thumbsup:

Also let me know if I can be of any help to set this up.

ATAG_Dave
May-10-2019, 16:03
Count me in too - love the air racing :thumbsup: