PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile in New Zealand....

Atreides
Jan-23-2013, 13:37
http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/ :huh:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-23-2013, 13:50
I saw this in yahoo news recently. We own cats (and dogs). After having a few disappear about thirty years ago my wife and I resolved to keep 'em inside 100%. Litter box duty is a chore I willingly accept; the cats have lots of play distractions (including our dogs, Riley & Chloe LOL) and seem happy with their lot in life.

I don't appreciate the neighbours' cats digging and messing in our garden, but our dogs are very, very good at chasing 'em out! :D

I hate the idea of any animal being euthanized because it's a nuisance, but I also realize that feral cats can be a huge problem if unchecked.

kopperdrake
Jan-24-2013, 07:22
Any animal can be a nuisance if left unchecked. Moving here we saw about 5 house sparrows in the back garden in the first year - the previous owner kept two cats. In the last five years, with no cats, the population has boomed to around 100. Whilst we do encourage the birds in other ways (food etc), the neighbours both sides used to as well, when the cats were around. Cats are only doing what nature intended, but they do kill for fun as well as food, it hones their skills. If people let dogs out to roam nilly willy then there would be an outcry - rightfully so. They're a pack animal and will go feral, scavenging in packs. Cats tend to hunt alone, so are seen as less of a nuisance by humans - unless you're the prey that is.