PDA

View Full Version : Fast Kill, Slow Motion (new movie uploaded)

Oersted
Jan-25-2013, 06:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Wuknd8Q60

This sim has amazing graphics, but often the dogfights are over so fast that there's no time for the details to sink in. I tried to show those details in this movie, which is a bit different from my earlier stuff. I hope you like it. Comments and suggestions are very welcome!

About some of the details:

- The Spittie pilot chose to only load tracers in his two outer machine guns. Tracer bullets (and tracer cannon shells) are the only ones that show up graphically in CoD. This pretty well mimics real life, where you can't see machine gun bullets and cannon shells either. However, all the non-tracer bullets are modelled as well, and their effect is very obvious when you hit the target. Some pilots prefer not to load tracers at all, to hide from opponents that they are being shot at.

- The cannon shells are set to explode on impact, but actually these shells also carried a small timer delay, so that they exploded anyway, after going a certain distance. This was so that the ground wouldn't be littered with un-exploded cannon shells. When I fire at the Spitfire at long range you can see that by the end of the burst my shells happen to be at the distance where they explode. That way they end up damaging the Spit, even though they don't hit him. A bit like Flak bursts.

- The Spit completely ravaged my oil and water coolers with his first burst, but seemingly did not hit my engine. That's why my engine works well for another minute, before it seizes up due to overheating. What can I say, I love the damage modelling in CoD...

--- Check out all my other vids at (see sig) ---

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-25-2013, 07:21
That's an amazing video!!!!

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Jan-25-2013, 07:39
:thumbsup:

Taff In Exile
Jan-25-2013, 07:46
Love it, music compliments the video well :thumbsup:

ATAG_Naz
Jan-25-2013, 07:59
Great vid mate... as always :thumbsup:

Oersted
Jan-25-2013, 08:55
That's an amazing video!!!!

The kill felt pretty good as well... ;-)

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-25-2013, 09:38
That was a fantastic full deflection shot -- with a Pilot Kill, no less! :thumbsup:

This is where Colander's utility to enable outside views on your track has paid off for all of us. I was especially fascinated with the slo mo effects of the cannon rounds -- both their trajectory and their impact on the Spit. Excellent video, thanks for sharing this!

:)

Oersted
Jan-25-2013, 10:05
That was a fantastic full deflection shot -- with a Pilot Kill, no less! :thumbsup:

This is where Colander's utility to enable outside views on your track has paid off for all of us. I was especially fascinated with the slo mo effects of the cannon rounds -- both their trajectory and their impact on the Spit. Excellent video, thanks for sharing this!

:)

Unfortunately I have big trouble using the utility, getting time-outs on the downloads, so my movie making has ground to a halt at the moment, nothing new in the pipeline... :-(

I asked for help from others' for whom it works in a thread in the "Utilities" forum, but so far problem is not resolved...

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-25-2013, 10:15
Great video Oersted and I hope you get the utility problem solved so we can have more from you.

ATAG_Septic
Jan-25-2013, 10:15
A great video. The way you've edited it makes a few seconds of action last eight minutes. Drama, pathos, suspense. Bravo!

Septic.

Oersted
Jan-25-2013, 10:41
"pathos", now there's a word you don't see often.... :-)

Thanks!

ATAG_Headshot
Jan-25-2013, 11:43
Excellent! I'm working on a slow mo movie myself. Hopefully I can have it up soon. Looks like we also have your external view issue figured out now so I can't wait to see more of your stuff.

Oersted
Jan-25-2013, 12:15
Yup, Headshot is helping me out, thanks again! - Looking forward to your slow-mo vid. I got some good advice, which is to capture at same speed as the fps of your movie (and a fraction of your in-game fps, in my case 60fps). I use 30fps in both cases.

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-25-2013, 13:52
slow cool :)

Oersted
Jan-26-2013, 03:53
Wauw, waking up to 759 views and it hasn't even been up for 24 hours yet...

Furious
Jan-26-2013, 05:43
I hope that Spit pilot isn't me or I'd be slapping myself about the head for at least 10 minutes
:pcsux:

Oersted
Jan-26-2013, 12:48
The Spittie pilot is called "FC o A happy791" in the in-game icon, he flew a SpitIIa. Is it you? :-)

Gorgon14
Jan-26-2013, 19:24
Nice job Frey!