PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Settings

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Jan-30-2013, 16:51
Hey All, Im running a G940 Logitech.

Ive been mucking about with the sensitivity and dead zone settings. This started when I noticed that when I was using the rudder, it was 'flapping' about even though I have it held by my foot. I also note that I have to maintain a little pressure during straight flight to stop it flapping (swinging back and forth).

Does anyone else get this? Is it just a graphical glitch (I think not, as my slip and turn indicators move too, when it is flapping).

What settings are you running with?

sensitivity
0% dead zone
100% dead zone.

Kiwi

Punch
Jan-31-2013, 00:18
Get a similar glitch sometimes kiwikillemoff and its not graphics coz if I go options / controls and click rudder the indicator bar is spiking to.
What I find is if you select rudder in controls and push your pedals thru its full range it seems to recalibrate itself...............

Jan-31-2013, 02:31
OK, thanks mate. Ill keep that in mind.

Are you using Logitech g940?

I if so what are you settings in game?

Kiwi

Punch
Jan-31-2013, 09:31
No m8...CHProducts.

DK_
Feb-01-2013, 12:15
Hi Kiwi,

I am using the G940 as well. It is quite frustrating to have the rudder jump about when trying to make a small correction or just keep in in trim during level flight. Needless to say it has a detrimental effect to accuracy during gunnery. Even the aircraft with trimable rudder give me problems and I can never get it just right. Any minor adjustment on the trim makes the aircraft waggle about and it is always a little out of trim to left or right.

I wish I could get it to work as well as the aileron and elevator trims because those give me no problems.

I'll have a look at the zones next time I'm in game and get back to you. I will also try the suggestion by Punch (thanks).

DK_
Feb-02-2013, 10:44
I tried the technique that Punch suggested and it did seem to help a bit. Although I still had spiking it was not as bad as it has been.

Question for Punch-When you go into axes and move the rudder pedals do you click apply or just back from there?

The settings I'm currently using, which could probably use more fine tuning are:
Sensitivity 1.00
0% Dead Zone 0.22
100% Dead Zone 0.02

Punch
Feb-03-2013, 02:27
Hi DK,
Like you I find it annoying when lined up on a bomber, you give a little rudder and the aircraft swings wildly sideways . So I now make it a point when I go into game to go options/controls . select rudder (usually the in/out bar is jumping) push pedals thru full motion a couple of times (in/out bar stops jumping) and apply.

Sensitivity

I tried using a pedals dead zone in CHControl Manager but didn't seem to work

Feb-03-2013, 04:24
Hey All,

im Running...

Sensitivity: 0.50
0% dead zone: 0.01
100% dead zone: 0.51

I've been focusing on being very gentle on using the pedals. Getting a lot more 'feel' and less drastic 'swing'. Less is more, as they say.

Like Punch to correct the flapping of the rudder, I nail the rudder back an forth a couple of times then hold either the right or left pedal very subtly, which seems to stop the flapping. It's like you need to add resistance to the pedals locking the rudder.

Also so noted is that, any rudder usage effects air speed, slowing you down 10-15 mph (roughly). Thats in Spitfires and Hurris's

Kiwi

vranac
Feb-03-2013, 05:09
Kiwikillemoff I think you and Punch have different problem.

G940 is good joystick but in pedals and throttle there is big design flow.It uses trimmers which in electronics have purpose to set value of resistance
and leave it in that one position.
Because of that they have very tin graphite layer which wears out quickly and you have spikes.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/ka1ros/joystick/537826_10100863178235905_1160915545_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/HitchHikerHSDWG/MVC-002F.jpg

See that tiny thing?
That is in your pedals.

One solution is to open the pedals and open that trimmer and clean it with contact spray.But that is temporary solution.
Second one is to buy set of those trimmers and change them.Hard to find but I think they were ~30 $ for a set.

There is lasting solution to mod it and put Hall sensors in place of the trimmer but it isn't simple to do.