PDA

View Full Version : The Italian Thunderbolt!

ATAG_Pattle
May-23-2020, 20:14
MC.202 The Italian Thunderbolt!

A visually stunning, highly detailed version of the Macchi C.202 coming to TFS 5.0.

Who's looking forward to flying the Folgore?

We will be producing a video on the Folgore very soon.

Cheers,

Pattle

Maru
May-23-2020, 20:25
Mamma Mia!

ATAG_Noofy
May-23-2020, 20:26

ATAG_TCP
May-23-2020, 21:05
Looking real snazzy!

ATAG_Flare
May-23-2020, 23:30
Nice work, the cockpit quality looks amazing, I can't spot a 2D element in there at all like on some of the Spitfire gauges for example. I can't wait to try it out. It's rather fun in IL2 BoX so probably will be great fun in CloD too! Hopefully the meatball launchers are effective against Hurricanes and Spits.

Karaya
May-24-2020, 04:25
Looking forward to it, had some nice sorties in it in BoX. Only fret is that the engine seems made of spaghetti in BoX and likes to go boom even at high-end continuous settings.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e2e491f72bf3f98d52ed5b2efa6ca7f1/tenor.gif

DerDa
May-24-2020, 06:33
Looking forward to it, had some nice sorties in it in BoX. Only fret is that the engine seems made of spaghetti in BoX and likes to go boom even at high-end continuous settings.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e2e491f72bf3f98d52ed5b2efa6ca7f1/tenor.gif

Don't forget to add the parmigiano!

ATAG_Noofy
May-24-2020, 09:23

Well that’s what adds spice to the whole thing. Just imagine if it was as predictably reliable as pure german technological perfection... Where’s the magic of adventure without that?

ATAG_Snarglepuss
May-24-2020, 09:55
I am certain my cousin, :clap:Il Maggiore Giovanni Snargletino:clap:, can't wait to bring one of these to bear against the
impertinent Spitfires and Hurricanes that caused him and his G50 so much pain and suffering over the years.....
.......:recon:the Grappa Injection System will be a true game changer:recon:.

ATAG_Noofy
May-24-2020, 10:15
Spitfires and Hurricanes that caused him and his G50 so much pain and suffering over the years....

Just leave the G.50's out of your family troubles, thanks :D

ATAG_JackMaxx
May-24-2020, 13:37
for God's sake! Noofy in a G50 was bad enough, what genius thought that giving him a MC 202 was a good idea! :)

ATAG_Noofy
May-24-2020, 14:17
for God's sake! Noofy in a G50 was bad enough, what genius thought that giving him a MC 202 was a good idea! :)

A G50 with a 109 engine :kiss:

IIJG27Rich
May-24-2020, 14:31
Beauty :thumbsup: :) :salute:

DerDa
May-24-2020, 15:08
Beauty :thumbsup: :) :salute:

G.50, Mc.202 or Noofy?

ATAG_Noofy
May-24-2020, 17:57
G.50, Mc.202 or Noofy?

Not me whaa

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-14-2020, 09:59
I know this thread is a bit dated but I would just like to give my first impressions of the Italian Lightning the Macchi C202 Falgore.
I am normally a Bomber pilot by choice. Ju.88, Hienkel 111, BR20, Blenheim and now the superb Wellington. But I have to admit to having a love affair with anything Italian (don't tell the wife) that can be cars, fashion, Italian food and Italy the country and people. After a wonderful holiday last year to Sorrento and the beautiful Amalfi coast I am now thoroughly hooked on Italian.
So with the addition of a new Italian fighter to Cliffs of Dover Tobruk the Macci C202 Folgore I just could'nt wait to try it out. And what a beauty it is. The Folgore has to be the best looking machine on any side second, only to the Spit. The best of Italian design it comes in choice of, what I can only describe as 'Sexy' camo schemes. Sand and green, I believe it was called 'Sand and Spinach' and is available in the sim in a variety of styles of patches of green on the basic sand upper surfaces and grey undersides. I have an old copy of 'Macchi C202 Falgore 'n action' a title from the Squadron/Signal range and it appears our COD designers have taken most of the schemes featured in this title. And fab they are if, like me, you love this scheme. Ideal, by the way for the Tobruk enviroment.
Well what is she like to fly. Plus factors: Looks fantastic a real eye catcher. Cool camo schemes. She is fast and a joy to fly also very agile. Cockpit visibility is very good, better than the 109 and Hurricane. Also all the dials and controls are easy to see and touch. And added plus are sliding front side windows to aid visibility. A nice wide undercarriage is a real plus and is very forgiving in the rugged desert airfields. Not one take-off or landing fail so far. The Folgore comes in four different marks in Tobruk. The series 111 has two 0.50 nose mounted guns and the Series V11 has two extra 7.7mm guns, one in each wing. I have not tried the Folgore in serious combat where I suspect, like the original aircraft (and most Italian fighters) it would be under gunned compared to German and Allied types. It certainly performs well in ground attack sorties where the' Lightning' lives up to it's name and also appears to strike more than once.
Minus points. Can't find many really. The gunsight takes a bit of getting used to. I did take my test Folgore up to 20,000 feet, which was reached pretty fast. Unfortunately I did some flashy aerobatics and ended up in a unrecoverable spin.
I suppose this must read like a review of a new Fiat or the latest Alfa Romeo. It certainly feels like it when you get in the cockpit. I might just take her up this Saturday night in the latest battle in the desert.
Review score 9. (Would have been 10 but for the disappointing armament.:)

ITAF_Airone1989
Sep-14-2020, 10:35
I suspect, like the original aircraft (and most Italian fighters) it would be under gunned compared to German and Allied types.

This is absolutely not true. Italian's fighters are not under gunned at all. It's just that... mmm... How can I say?
Oh yes, it's more like this: war it's a dangerous affair, we just want to be sure that nobody will get hurt! So, we will fire some bean just to scarry you, Nothing more.
:):):):)

ATAG_Marlow
Sep-14-2020, 11:29
I have to admit to having a love affair with anything Italian (don't tell the wife)
S

Ha ha! What happens in ATAG stays in ATAG!!!!

No worries, FLAK BOSS......you're secret's safe with us!!! If you love Italy can I recommend that for some future trip you consider visiting the island of Ischia? As Capri lies to the south of the Bay of Naples, Ischia lies to the north. My wife and I flew into Naples and then took a 45 minute fast ferry to the island, which was fun in it's own right. We stayed at a lovely small family run hotel, where the pool was always free and thermally heated! Brilliant!

The island is quite small but has it's own unique 'feel' and the people are very proud to be Ischians. It is volcanic, like the rest of the Naples area and has it's own volcano but it's dormant at the moment. There is a lot to see, great walking, the weather is fantastic and the food is brilliant. Perhaps you'll get there one day...and if you do, I don't think you'd regret it! I'd go back in a shot if covid would allow! Salute! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Noofy
Sep-14-2020, 11:43
:kiss:

https://youtu.be/V16GJAUVTRk

https://youtu.be/xeF8uKWY_Ow

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-14-2020, 12:17
:kiss:

https://youtu.be/V16GJAUVTRk

https://youtu.be/xeF8uKWY_Ow

Thanks Noofy for the brilliant videos. I have many aviation books but only the squadron/signal title on the Folgore. Some wonderful views of the Regia Aeronautica in action.
I know you are a G50 man but have you tried the Folgore on ops?:salute:

ATAG_Noofy
Sep-14-2020, 13:02
Thanks Noofy for the brilliant videos. I have many aviation books but only the squadron/signal title on the Folgore. Some wonderful views of the Regia Aeronautica in action.
I know you are a G50 man but have you tried the Folgore on ops?:salute:

Yep :thumbsup:
A beauty to fly.
If only it had an extra pair of 20 mm...

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-14-2020, 14:19
Yep :thumbsup:
A beauty to fly.
If only it had an extra pair of 20 mm...

Thanks Noof.
Wow you learn something every day. I now know why I could not recover from the spin in my first flight in the Folgore. Apparently the wing lengths on the Folgore are different. The left wing is 8" longer than the right wing. This was in the design to help counteract the torgue effect of the propeller. This wing difference had an unfortunate effect on attempts at spin recovery.:thumbsup:

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-15-2020, 04:22
This is absolutely not true. Italian's fighters are not under gunned at all. It's just that... mmm... How can I say?
Oh yes, it's more like this: war it's a dangerous affair, we just want to be sure that nobody will get hurt! So, we will fire some bean just to scarry you, Nothing more.
:):):):)

My late father in law was in the 8th Army in the desert in North Africa. He said that the British troops use to call the Italians 'Gentlemen'. I think that was a complement.:salute:

ATAG_Noofy
Sep-15-2020, 06:35
Thanks Noof.
Wow you learn something every day. I now know why I could not recover from the spin in my first flight in the Folgore. Apparently the wing lengths on the Folgore are different. The left wing is 8" longer than the right wing. This was in the design to help counteract the torgue effect of the propeller. This wing difference had an unfortunate effect on attempts at spin recovery.:thumbsup:

To recover from the C.202 spin do the following:

Throttle to zero
Extend flaps
Rudder in opposite direction of spin
Stick forward, and towards direction of spin
Say one quick prayer (Pater Noster usually works)
When the spin slows down and plane stabilizes in a dive, keep joystick forward but bring it to neutral laterally
rudder to neutral
keep stick forward if you can to build up speed
Gently pull stick backwards
re-apply throttle
retract flaps

You need about 700m or more

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-15-2020, 11:24

Throttle to zero
Extend flaps
Rudder in opposite direction of spin
Stick forward, and towards direction of spin
When the spin slows down and plane stabilizes in a dive, keep joystick forward but bring it to neutral laterally
rudder to neutral
keep stick forward if you can to build up speed
Gently pull stick backwards
re-apply throttle
retract flaps

You need about 700m or more

Thanks Noofy. I followed the standard procedure, I had bags of height but forgot flaps hence I had to hit the silk.
On another point I looked in on the Tobruk server last night and saw that there was about eight or nine Folgores. Was that a pre-arranged gathering or just more flyers trying out the Folgore having seen our posts and your excellent videos?

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Sep-15-2020, 11:40

At least here, it works better if I recite it in reverse :)

ATAG_Hawk
Sep-15-2020, 12:07
[QUOTE=Erpr.Gr.210_Belial;363825]At least here, it works better if I recite it in reverse :)[/QUOTE
Sorry meant to like your post:thumbsup:

ATAG_Noofy
Sep-15-2020, 13:27
At least here, it works better if I recite it in reverse :)

As long as it takes the same amount of time to recite it, you’re OK...

ATAG_Noofy
Sep-15-2020, 13:38
On another point I looked in on the Tobruk server last night and saw that there was about eight or nine Folgores. Was that a pre-arranged gathering or just more flyers trying out the Folgore having seen our posts and your excellent videos?

Come minchia faccio a saperlo? (= I have no idea...)

Karaya
Sep-15-2020, 17:17
A G50 with a 109 engine :kiss: