PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 'right' way to exit after a mission?

Roblex
Feb-14-2013, 02:40
I have always been puzzled by the stats i get for landing and air abandons but put it down to lag in the stats being updated. Today was the first yime I have flown since the stats were reset so I could see exactly what was recorded.

I only flew three 'missions'

1. Taxied out and turned the wrong way and hit one of those invisible spring loaded traps that makes you leap in the air at 5mph. Respawned

2. Took off OK. Accidently crossed someones path while killing a bomber and took some minor friendly damage in the engine. Engine was sounding a little rough but I was able to fly home without problems, no smoke of fluid leaks. Made a good landing and taxied to the hangars and switched off fuel & both magnetos and opened the canopy. Got 'Roblex has landed' message. Exited by pressing esc. A minute later a squadmate asked if I had landed OK because he had got a kill credit for me.

3. Took off OK. Was PK'd later in the sortie and stayed with the aircraft until it crashed.

My stats show:-

3 take-offs,
1 Kill
1 Death
0 Landings
3 Air Abandons

Note that I show 1 death (correct) even though both a 109 and spitfire pilot were credited with killing me in different sorties. Note also that the spitfire pilot was given a kill message and my stats recorded an air abandon even though I had landed safely at the airfield and got a 'Roblex has landed' message. I might also ask how breaking my plane hitting a pothole counts as an air abandon.

Am I doing something wrong in the way I despawn?

Roblex
Feb-21-2013, 15:14
Follow up....I hear many people mention hitting Alt-F2 after landing; how does that differ from just pressing ESC as soon as I am parked? Could this be why I get so many 'Air Abandons' recorded?

ATAG_Septic
Feb-21-2013, 17:24
Follow up....I hear many people mention hitting Alt-F2 after landing; how does that differ from just pressing ESC as soon as I am parked? Could this be why I get so many 'Air Abandons' recorded?

Hi Roblex,

Sorry I can't help with the stats.

I click Alt-F2 just so I can see myself float down in my parachute, or watch my burning plane head to its doom, the latter is less fun of course.

It might have an effect, I don't know. It can also be used for vacating a gunners seat back to the pilot's seat in a two-seat bomber, allowing AI back in. But you leave your aircraft if you do it from the pilots seat!

Cheers,

Septic.

Injerin
Feb-21-2013, 23:13
Stats I think are a little quarkey, I've noticed that a few times I didn't get credit for kills I cleary caused.(in-game damage report not showing any damage to enemy planes) So I'm sure it translates over to the website via bad game data...

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Feb-22-2013, 08:04
..hitting Alt-F2 after landing; how does that differ from just pressing ESC as soon as I am parked? Could this be why I get so many 'Air Abandons' recorded?

Nope. there is no difference. Once you've landed properly, hitting esc or alt+F2 is the same.
The only difference is that when you press alt+F2 ou can continue to watch the mission, whereas if you hit esc. it ejects you back to the map screen.

If, when your airplane is still airborne, you press alt+F2 OR esc. it will count as an air abandon.

Roblex
Feb-23-2013, 09:19
Nope. there is no difference. Once you've landed properly, hitting esc or alt+F2 is the same.
The only difference is that when you press alt+F2 ou can continue to watch the mission, whereas if you hit esc. it ejects you back to the map screen.

If, when your airplane is still airborne, you press alt+F2 OR esc. it will count as an air abandon.

Nothing explains how I landed softly, taxied to the hangars, turned off the fuel & magnetos and got a 'Roblex has landed' message before pressing esc yet the stats showed an air abandon and my squadmate was credited for a kill even though I had nothing more serious than a rough sounding engine.
Somehow the game had recognised I had landed in order to produce the 'Roblex has landed' message yet also thought I was still airborne when I left the cockpit.

If it was just a one-of I would ignore it but these spurious air abandons have been bugging me for months which is why I wondered if I was doing something wrong when I finished a sortie.

Roblex
Feb-28-2013, 02:07
I may have seen what my problem is. Someone has suggested the problem is more to do with how I respawn.

When I hit esc I go to the mission screen as we all do but then I click on the airfield (same or different) and choose a plane then hit 'create' (maybe changing plane or loadout before I create) It was suggested that I should click on the country flag where it will ask my if I want to leave my current aircraft; I have never seen this question.
I know if you just click 'Fly' after despawning it takes you back to your last aircraft, even if it is a burning wreck, but the way I respawn does give me a new plane without asking any questions. I wonder if that is my problem?

Perhaps when I do that at the same airfield I will get an 'Air Abandon' and when I change airfields I get a proper landing which is why sometimes it works must mostly it does not; I tend to fly and land at the same airfield most of the time.

Any thoughts? Do others without the 'Air Abandon' problem always click the flag to respawn?

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-28-2013, 02:13
I think it's a case of the no refly button like old 46. The old game was meant to restart your sortie, this one was designed to be ongoing 24/7 with loading missions on top of missions etc. So the server hosts have to script out/despawn/destroy your old plane after you grab a new one or there would be airplanes scattered about all the airfields like in the early days.

And because of the despawn in a sense, destroying your plane, I guess the stats can reflect that. To be honest, the whole situation needs to be redone. People shouldn't be able to leave their aircraft unless you are dead, destroyed, or landed. It makes me wonder how many people's stats reflect different because they just give up and leave their plane, leaving the AI to be back in charge.

Either way, I've moaned about this from day one with no response, so it will be up to us to fix it I guess. But this is one of those things very low on the priority list.

1lokos
Feb-28-2013, 14:28
The "funny" thing is that all this issues is consequency of UBIZOO COOP guys "whishes" to "pick any plane and join a flight at any momment".
But at the this make COOP in CloD different from 1946 - so they move on.,
And now the same old crow are in IL-2 BoS forum requesting the sames things again... whaa

Sokol1

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-01-2013, 20:13
One of our guys has been testing this. He seems to think that you get an "air abandon" if you land at a different base from the one you took off from, even if the base you land at is friendly.

The only way to ensure you get a "landed" is to return to the same base...

That's his theory based on watching some stats whilst flying and landing at different places.....