PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard / Chipset recommendations?

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Feb-14-2013, 13:12
Does anyone have any motherboard/chipset recommendations?

I am pretty sure my motherboard is on the way out. I've had it for a little over 4 years, so I'm not too surprised.

I'm running an X58 currently with a i7 920 at 2.67 GHz. It has run OK performance wise (I had some heating issues early on) My main issue with the motherboard was the layout. There is barely room in the thing because of the size of video cards now adays. It also had some heat issues because of how things are layn out.

Anyhow, it's still working, so I thought I'd browse around and see if anyone has any recommendations.

I've been looking at the new 8 core AMD processors They seem fairly promising. I'm also pretty sure I want to avoid Sandy Bridge chipsets for the time being (considering recent events). Otherwise, I'm not sure.

ATAG_Septic
Feb-15-2013, 05:49
Hi Squirrel,

Twenty views and no views expressed. I can't add one either though, perhaps like the other viewers I haven't researched for more than a year.

When I could afford it I would go for the high end ASUS boards and if I was buying today with no research I'd get one but in this modern global economy it's difficult to justify manufacturer loyalty.

Good luck and happy spending :)

Septic.

TURK_Enlem
Feb-15-2013, 07:29
If I were you I would focus on overheating problem first. You may do some "ghetto mods" with additional fans on problematic areas (cpu, chipset, ram?), or better ventilated new case may be? (I assume that there is no more problem than overheating)

Anyhow I wouldn't go to upgrade until new Intel "Haswell" series out(22nm). I believe that it will be within few months.

TonyD
Feb-19-2013, 09:25
Hi NakedSquirrel

I could possibly offer some useful advice, but Id need to know more about your needs, like:

Is it purely a gaming machine you want, or do you also do some video/sound encoding?
Do you have any brand preference (Intel vs. AMD, AMD vs. nVidia)?
How much of a geek are you do you like tweaking/overclocking, or do you prefer to just have the machine work without needing any fiddling?
And the leading question; how much do you want to spend?

I have had a fair amount of experience building gaming machines for a wide range of budgets, so Im sure I could offer relevant advice knowing your requirements.