PDA

View Full Version : Update: video weathering effects currently being worked on by Team Fusion

Mysticpuma
Feb-15-2013, 15:01
***Please note NOT "Weather Effects!"***

Hello Gents, welcome to a very small update, it just happens to be on a Friday!

The video below gives a short example of how the weathering slider has been implemented so that now you really can fly in a factory fresh aircraft.

I'll let the video do the talking, cheers, MP

https://vimeo.com/59758093

(https://vimeo.com/59758093)

SlipBall
Feb-15-2013, 15:04
Ziggy :thumbsup:

il_corleone
Feb-15-2013, 15:04
freshy!, Incredible work! congratulations now we have a real spit!

Lensman
Feb-15-2013, 15:13
Nice one MP!

I love the smell of Friday updates in the evening:devilish:

il_corleone
Feb-15-2013, 15:15
would love to have a mini video about all flyable planes whit this settings, wanna see them all! :-)

Mysticpuma
Feb-15-2013, 17:19
It took 6-months to get that through QC!!!! whaa

I think the phrase "all good things to those who wait" may be coming in very useful! Maybe it could be our replacement phrase for "two weeks!" ;)

Cheers, MP

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-15-2013, 17:45
Wow! That is very impressive! :thumbsup:

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 17:58
So, if its old it looks all plastic and leathery looking and if its new its all shiney? No sorry, doesnt work for me... and that skin is hideous... Is that a skin from the game?! A skin we know might help us judge it better. Are you running sweetfx, I heard this makes everything darker?

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-15-2013, 18:03
I'm gonna guess you haven't seen the current weathering effects? If you don't think it's an improvement over the stock game, then you are blind.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 18:06
Maybe another skin might show us the real effect, that skin looked really bad...

SlipBall
Feb-15-2013, 18:07
A good effort!...I'm more interested in any nuts and bolts reincarnation and the engine sound's. Since the E3 is my fav, I'd love just to have the bouncing and the return of the feathering.

JG52_Krupi
Feb-15-2013, 18:10
Awesome work guys keep it up!

P.S. Love the musical score as well :thumbsup:

LizLemon
Feb-15-2013, 18:20
So, if its old it looks all plastic and leathery looking and if its new its all shiney? No sorry, doesnt work for me... and that skin is hideous... Is that a skin from the game?! A skin we know might help us judge it better. Are you running sweetfx, I heard this makes everything darker?

Do you know that often times aircraft were polished?

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-15-2013, 18:21
Maybe another skin might show us the real effect, that skin looked really bad...

Another skin showing the weathering effects has already been shown. A thread you already read: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?3210-Some-Spitfire-goodness

Just looks awful? Some people just don't get it.

Next time think about the effect (the entire point of the video) and not the skin.

5./JG27 Max Schneider
Feb-15-2013, 18:38
What does the real life weathering look like? This looks totally unflown. Even 1 flight on an A/C puts significant exhaust markings and oil stains. Does the weathering still affect performance (e.g. failures and such?) because that would be a shame if we all flew around in cartoon planes for want of a reliable engine with a realistic skin.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 18:38
Another skin showing the weathering effects has already been shown. A thread you already read: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?3210-Some-Spitfire-goodness

Just looks awful? Some people just don't get it.

Next time think about the effect (the entire point of the video) and not the skin.

Is that a default skin? (this would allow me as anon tester to draw a comparison based on my own experiences)

Is sweet FX being run? (I heard this made things darker)

(Hard to compare something that is totally different than what I have seen before?! - no?)

If the answer to these questions is yes and no, then no I dont like it...

Do you know that often times aircraft were polished?

Yes I do know that sometimes aircraft were polished, I am sure this didnt happen every day in the BoB...

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-15-2013, 18:45
Wow - of course it looks like the airplane has never been flown.

To break it down since I figured this was obvious to most: 0 weathering = brand new = factory fresh = never flown. So, umm, it looks that way brand new.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 18:47
Wow - of course it looks like the airplane has never been flown.

To break it down since I figured this was obvious to most: 0 weathering = brand new = factory fresh = never flown. So, umm, it looks that way brand new.

Why cant you answer the questions?

Is that a default skin?

Is sweet FX being run?

ATAG_Colander
Feb-15-2013, 19:19
Being on the other side of the fence is now easy to understand why MG didn't like posting any updates :)

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 19:21
Being on the other side of the fence is now easy to understand why MG didn't like posting any updates :)

Sweet Fx?

Default skin?

Why is this such a secret?

VO101_Tom
Feb-15-2013, 19:22
Hi,
Bliss, please don't get this as offense, we just share opinions.
If the point of the video, that the guy find the graphisc settings, then it's great, keep it up!
But if the point of this video, that shows the "factory fresh" Spitfire in the final results, then I agree with Farber. If you see any photo of old planes, no one lacquered like this one.

I mean, far better, if you tried to make this surface...:
http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/pics/spit2.jpg

...instead of this:
http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/pics/spit1.jpg

Both picture made in real life, both plane is clean and shine (look the elevator on the LIFE photo), but you never see reflections like this on a ww2 warplane. There is huge difference of the highlight- and reflection glossiness, amount of reflection and freshnel options. Maybe wrong sources, or the environment settings, but this video far from realistic metal surface... IMHO. Or you think, they towed out from the factory, and the lacquer wear outh within couple of months...?

I found a better photo:
Spitfire Assembly line.
The canopy is shine, strong and clean reflections. But you don't see even the lamps on the fuselage...
http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/pics/spit3.jpg

ATAG_Colander
Feb-15-2013, 19:25
The point is...
If you don't like it factory fresh, then move the slider up.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 19:26
The point is...
If you don't like it factory fresh, then move the slider up.

wow.

ATAG_Colander
Feb-15-2013, 19:28
wow.

Wow as in "great, we have the option of having it as we prefer"
or
Wow as in "I don't want anyone to be able to choose"
?

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 19:34
Wow as in "great, we have the option of having it as we prefer"
or
Wow as in "I don't want anyone to be able to choose"
?

No "wow" as in I cant believe the attitude of TF... wont answer simply questions so people can get their assumption rights. I think this will seriously effect the ability to spot each other at any range or ID each other at any range...

I just wanted simple questions answered so i could give my opinion.... - Sorry i am not one of the automatic crowd.

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-15-2013, 19:38
No "wow" as in I cant believe the attitude of TF... wont answer simply questions so people can get their assumption rights. I think this will seriously effect the ability to spot each other at any range or ID each other at any range...

I just wanted simple questions answered so i could give my opinion.... - Sorry i am not one of the automatic crowd.

No you are in the crowd of very few jackasses or trolls here. I think it's sad how you come in here and blow your guns saying people's free work is terrible. It would do you good to learn how to be constructive. Saying "that looks awful" doesn't do anything other than make you look like an arrogant prick.

Tom's post was an example of constructive critiscm. Yours was an example of being a jackass. We won't tolerate it. Think before you post next time.

Edit: And to reply to Tom's points - the 2 pictures you showed were either inside a building or with an overcast day without much sunlight. The last shiny picture was one that was not only more modern but clearly with natural sunlight still hitting the sky.

Here's 3 pictures of WWII effects from sunny days (the same exact thing we have 100% of the time in Cliffs of Dover). You'll notice how bad the glare was on one shot in particular where 1/2 the marking is covered from the reflective shine from the sunlight.

This looks pretty much like we have achieved for Clod IMO. And mind you none of these planes pictured here were brand new.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 19:41
No you are in the crowd of very few jackasses or trolls here. I think it's sad how you come in here and blow your guns saying people's free work is terrible. It would do you good to learn how to be constructive. Saying "that looks awful" doesn't do anything other than make you look like an arrogant prick.

Tom's post was an example of constructive critiscm. Yours was an example of being a jackass. We won't tolerate it. Think before you post next time.

Wow... Don't worry, I am out. Maybe this community just got a little smaller...

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-15-2013, 19:46
Lets hope so. Most people will appreciate the hours people have spent on their own free time improving the sim.

But there's always gotta be some people that would rather bash another's efforts. At least the people that fly spitfires know how badly messed up the weathering system is for their rides and how much of an improvement has been made over the default version.

philip.ed
Feb-15-2013, 19:47
Here are your answers from a simple bystander who recognises the wood for the trees.
No, it is clearly not a default skin. You would have to be colour blind to not realise that. As has already been posted, you can see the effect on a default skin in another thread. The skin used here is probably available to download somewhere, but the red-nose and later camouflage colours sets it apart from BoB skins.

The slider gives one the ability to choose the weathering on the plane. Factory fresh is the same as airshow worthy in this case; so setting the slider to 0 will show a pristine plane. All one has to do is increase to slider to get results which attempt to look how an A/C will once it is seeing frontline service. This is all down to the player. The player can easily make a skin which looks more weathered, and set the slider to 0 if they have their own preference. I think it is a great system (although in CloD proper, the heavily weathered setting is very unrealistic IMHO).

I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. I think the video was smashing. The work on the new reflection is simply astounding. The spitfire looked photo-realistic towards the end of the video.

Great work chaps.

LG1.Farber
Feb-15-2013, 19:49
Lets hope so. Most people will appreciate the hours people have spent on their own free time improving the sim.

But there's always gotta be some people that would rather bash another's efforts. At least the people that fly spitfires know how badly messed up the weathering system is for their rides and how much of an improvement has been made over the default version.

Right... So you don't want me in the community, Im not allowed an opinion on something you make public, apparently i dont appreciate it and you have sympathies for red?

-Crystal clear now...

Skoshi_Tiger
Feb-15-2013, 19:54
Great work TF! Good to see the progress you are all making. It's all steps in the right direction.

Though, as in my current practice, I'll be setting the slider to 100 under the premise that nobody in thier right mind would give someone with my flying skills a factory fresh plane! ;)

The only observation I can make is that if you can't please everyone, don't bother trying and concentrate on the parts of the project that will give you a sence of satisfaction. This Modding project is your baby. If people don't like what you're producing or think they can do better there absolutly nothing stopping them going off and starting their own project.

Thanks for the Friday update (looks like the only one we will be getting this week - does this mean the development in the other sim has been canned??? ;) ) and keep up the good work!

philip.ed
Feb-15-2013, 20:25
Right... So you don't want me in the community, Im not allowed an opinion on something you make public, apparently i dont appreciate it and you have sympathies for red?

-Crystal clear now...

You're being obtuse.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-15-2013, 20:30
Hi everyone,

Just calling a temporary time out on this thread. It will be re-opened in the near future.

Snapper

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-16-2013, 16:34
Opened - please keep comments constructive or Snapper will sick his dog on you. :P

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-16-2013, 17:44
Opened - please keep comments constructive or Snapper will sick his dog on you. :P

Killer-attack Shetland Sheepdogs. If this isn't enough to strike fear into the hearts of bold men, then I don't know what is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvM8v2Azdwo&sns=em

56RAF_klem
Feb-16-2013, 19:42

You're missing the point. That is 100% weathered and happens to capture a high level of reflections.

It is simply an attempt to show the extremes. When it is released have a closer look.

Screamadelica
Feb-16-2013, 21:43
Thanks for the continuing work from the Team! Love the look of the totally weathered aircraft. Looking forward to the first patch. Salute! :thumbsup:

Uwe
Feb-16-2013, 22:01
So Im sitting next to the wife, watching this on my little lap-top while she's watching AFV.
She glances at the video playing and goes "Wow, thats amazing, looks so real!"
No higher praise than that of someone who is a total outsider.

It loos great to me guys. Ive been a HUGE critic of CoD, but looks like Team Fusion has its priorities right.
Congrats guys! Looking forward to release! ill actually have to install the game again lol!

And Farber...dude this isn't about you, please be nice.

Wolf
Feb-16-2013, 22:18
Killer-attack Shetland Sheepdogs. If this isn't enough to strike fear into the hearts of bold men, then I don't know what is....

Shouldn't this be German shepherd v English sheepdog? I just don't see it. The weathering on these dogs is all wrong and just looks like their coats are too shiny an factory fitted. Also when you move the slider up, they get louder, but not weathered. This is a fail to me and let's not even get into the angle of attack employed. It is just not as historically accurate as it should be.

I hope this does not lead to people been turned away.

I appreciate your work on skinning these dogs but to me they just look like plane sheepdogs.

:-P

miky
Feb-17-2013, 02:18

You only need one ... :)

Great job TF :thumbsup:

Kling
Feb-17-2013, 02:39
Jeez i cant believe some peoples attitude in here!!! I think the new weathering is absolutely amazing!! What is there not to like?!
If u want it factory fresh/polished, use zero weathering. If u want the more used look then move the slider up!! Whats the problem?!?
TF is doing this for free and anything they do should be appreciated! They are doing this to make Clod better and we musnt argue about stupid things here!

TF ignore Farber, and keep up the good work!

Osprey
Feb-17-2013, 06:18
Please people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

JAT
;)

buster_dee
Feb-17-2013, 09:21
The weathering looks fine to me. Though, I confess, I was surprised the 1st time someone got miffed because they couldn't have a perfect Spitfire that QC had just run a glove on. I just figured various tastes would want various levels of wear. I like war-warn. It gives me a sense of place and history. As an older player, I'm more concerned about the light bloom and filtered post effects look. Basically, my old eyes already provide that, and emphasizing those is hard on me. I get the impression that some players cut their teeth on sims when post processing was just becoming the rage. I get that, but that doesn't mean I have adjusted well.

Anyway, what really matters is that some of this beautiful sim's secrets are giving may, and that talented people care enough to try.

Thanks.

III/JG53_Don
Feb-17-2013, 09:23
Shouldn't this be German shepherd v English sheepdog? I just don't see it. The weathering on these dogs is all wrong and just looks like their coats are too shiny an factory fitted. Also when you move the slider up, they get louder, but not weathered. This is a fail to me and let's not even get into the angle of attack employed. It is just not as historically accurate as it should be.

I hope this does not lead to people been turned away.

I appreciate your work on skinning these dogs but to me they just look like plane sheepdogs.

:-P

Lol Wolf this made my day, excellent :-D

But staying on topic: Great work guys, looks perfect to me! Appreciate your hard work!

il_corleone
Feb-17-2013, 10:49
I like the effect and looks realistic IMO i saw some photos that are like that plane, the satined painting etc, Thanks TF, brilliant work! and for people that think its unrealistic, go search some photos and dont post the ones that there is not enoigh ligth in sky, remeber that in Clod we will have always a beautifull sun, but its just time that tf get their hands on wheater , thank guys foryour work

Blitzen
Feb-17-2013, 11:08
"Oh Mama!":)

92 Sqn. Folmar (QJ-F)
Feb-17-2013, 11:50
Great Job Guys! Really really like it!

JG53_Valantine
Feb-17-2013, 12:50
What does the real life weathering look like? This looks totally unflown. Even 1 flight on an A/C puts significant exhaust markings and oil stains. Does the weathering still affect performance (e.g. failures and such?) because that would be a shame if we all flew around in cartoon planes for want of a reliable engine with a realistic skin.

The weathering slider doesn't effect the mechanical operation of the aircraft at all and never has. There was once upon a time a second slider for Physical weathering but that physical weathering slider has not been enabled in game for a LONG time, I believe it was one of the first things to be patched out!

http://s2.postimage.org/tx2b879yd/Plane_Screen_2.jpg

I believe the rational behind it was that everyone online would simply take a 0% phyically weathered aircraft anyway - and there were issues with the "random failure" becoming "constant failure" with engines breaking upon spawning etc.

So the answer is: the weathering slider doesn't cause any mechanical changes at all, it simply changes the clean/dirty look of your aircraft (and finally gives people the option to use aircraft that don't look like they have been buried in mud for 20 years - especially in the case of the forced weatehring even on 0% on the Spitfire with the stock game!)
V

SlipBall
Feb-17-2013, 18:36

We have cats!!

AllMattersFecal
Feb-17-2013, 23:22
It's a good proof-of-concept video, but the "clean" skin needs work, IMO. Right now it looks like an aircraft constructed out of wet green gummie bears. (http://www.google.com/search?q=green+gummy+bear&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SKwhUdbvCYidiQLgoYDwAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955)

TheVino3
Feb-17-2013, 23:54
It's a good proof-of-concept video, but the "clean" skin needs work, IMO. Right now it looks like an aircraft constructed out of wet green gummie bears. (http://www.google.com/search?q=green+gummy+bear&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SKwhUdbvCYidiQLgoYDwAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955)

The skin is irrelevant

Osprey
Feb-18-2013, 11:13
Ignore him, he's a ROF troll who spent most of his time trying to get COD shut down. Now he doesn't utter anything but praise over on the ROF forums.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-18-2013, 11:20
Ignore him, he's a ROF troll who spent most of his time trying to get COD shut down. Now he doesn't utter anything but praise over on the ROF forums.

No way! Fecal and I have flown together many times on Clod and covered each other's six over Teamspeak. :-)

Please, no personal attacks, even if he doesn't like green Gummy Bears!

Osprey
Feb-18-2013, 11:30
Yeah we've flown together too, he's alright I know, but he does like a good moan lol

Zappatime
Feb-18-2013, 12:52
There's no visible link/video window when viewing this thread on my Ipad (which is much more leisurely way to browse btw!) is it a Youtube/vimeo link?

I do see the varous youtube funnies down the thread but nothing in post 1 of this thread.

Oersted
Feb-18-2013, 14:49
THANKS FOR THE VIDEO MYSTICPUMA! (Oops, caps-lock on, ahh, no worries...)

Mysticpuma
Feb-18-2013, 14:51
Hi.

The link is to Vimeo as it's where I have a Plus account.

If you want to watch it on your Ipad, they have an app here, which is free!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vimeo/id425194759?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

because of the custom music, youtube often sees fit to disable audio and also I have issues with creative commons licensing rights...blah, blah and it wont let me save the videos without updating the monetary links, which I do, but it doesn't save and wont let me post...so I update them and....etc, etc, etc!!!!

Vimeo works for me and also has extensive stats so I can view which countries and how many plays, embeds and loads the video has had.

Sorry, but for now it's Vimeo only for my update trailers ;)

Cheers, MP

AllMattersFecal
Feb-18-2013, 15:23

Uh, what? I hope you're joking. I've never posted anything on the ROF forums in my life, and I've surely never tried to "shut down" CloD.

Not sure where this is coming from or what you're on Osprey.

Anyway, regarding the clean Spit skin...is that the default CloD skin from release days? Did you guys bring it back from an old install or just recreate it yourselves?

Mysticpuma
Feb-18-2013, 15:41
In my Spitfire MkIIa folder I have a Green Green skin. I'm pretty sure off the top of my head, that was the one I used, and it comes with the Sim as stock ;)

Cheers, MP

LizLemon
Feb-18-2013, 15:41
Uh, what? I hope you're joking. I've never posted anything on the ROF forums in my life, and I've surely never tried to "shut down" CloD.

Not sure where this is coming from or what you're on Osprey.

Anyway, regarding the clean Spit skin...is that the default CloD skin from release days? Did you guys bring it back from an old install or just recreate it yourselves?

I'm pretty sure it was the Green Green skin. Its from 1c/MG but I have no idea when.

EDIT: Hahaha, someone beat me to the post button

AllMattersFecal
Feb-18-2013, 15:48
In my Spitfire MkIIa folder I have a Green Green skin. I'm pretty sure off the top of my head, that was the one I used, and it comes with the Sim as stock ;)

Cheers, MP

Thanks for the reply.

Note that I asked the same question as Farber, yet didn't get my head bitten off...why's that?

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-18-2013, 16:51
Thanks for the reply.

Note that I asked the same question as Farber, yet didn't get my head bitten off...why's that?

Fecal, are you trying to start a fight here? You got your answer. Please drop it.

Mattias
Feb-18-2013, 16:52
Thanks for the reply.

:salute:

Maybe because we got used to people complaining about the stock CLOD skins and completely missing the point of this thread? No offence, just an observation.

Cheers/m

AllMattersFecal
Feb-18-2013, 17:02
Nevermind my social commentary...carry on, gents.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-18-2013, 17:09
Thanks, Mattias.

Mysticpuma's update clearly demonstrates the work the team has done with weathering effects and their efforts are much appreciated by the vast majority of us. This thread has run its course in imparting this information and received as much constructive feedback as its going to generate.