PDA

View Full Version : Nose bounce - all aircraft

LG1.Farber
Feb-20-2013, 20:31
I thought this was a 109 only problem, then a 110 guy told me the same and I spoke to some red pilots and they said it happens in the Hurricane and now Ive just seen it in this video on the spit. Some people Ive spoken to don't seem affected at all and some people are.

You pull on the stick consistently through a turn and you just need a touch more and then boom the whole thing lurches up, down and around on the elevator.

Should the nose bounce like this? Is it a feature or a bug?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWJ3yH8Vt0

Goto 5:05 to see it.

If this is a bug I'd really like to bring it to TF's attention if they don't know about it.

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-20-2013, 20:53
Unless I'm seeing something different, I think this is a random turbulence feature built into the game. I notice the nose dip up and down almost every time I climb to altitude and am passing through different thermal areas.

Especially would be noticeable in slow speed situations (climb, heavy turning etc.)

But I don't think this is a bug.

Mysticpuma
Feb-20-2013, 22:09
I've had that a few times and thought it was my joystick that was starting to die. Now I see it wasn't me at all. It's like you are pulling back on the stick and you go 1 increment passed the sweet spot and the joystick inputs a 'spike'!

Maybe it is a feature ae I can replicate the effect easily in my Spitfire :(

SlipBall
Feb-21-2013, 03:20
As a test, set the global effects to zero, see if that helps you...as a former pilot I can tell you that most hours were shaky, a thermal thing

Osprey
Feb-21-2013, 05:00
I suppose there are a couple of questions:

1. Is this actually game turbulence?
2. Is this realistic?

I'm not convinced Q1 is a yes just yet, if so then why does it only occur when I make a stick or trim input? Personally I find it very annoying but if Q2 is correct then I'm delighted to be so annoyed, otherwise it would be a good thing to sort out. :)

~S~

bongodriver
Feb-21-2013, 05:08
I wonder if the game is actually modelling wake turbulence, as an aircraft flies it leaves behind a wake of turbulent airflow and if you fly through it there is a momentary effect of control reversal in all axes, using a smoke generator would answer that question, if the effect happens when flying through a smoke trail then it's wake turbulence.

SlipBall
Feb-21-2013, 05:26
I wonder if the game is actually modelling wake turbulence, as an aircraft flies it leaves behind a wake of turbulent airflow and if you fly through it there is a momentary effect of control reversal in all axes, using a smoke generator would answer that question, if the effect happens when flying through a smoke trail then it's wake turbulence.

I always felt that was the case in the released game...your test would be very interesting in the older game, and in the current. I know that if you increase the surface winds, the dust can be seen accelerated in dispersement

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Feb-21-2013, 05:54
I thought this was a 109 only problem, then a 110 guy told me the same and I spoke to some red pilots and they said it happens in the Hurricane and now Ive just seen it in this video on the spit. Some people Ive spoken to don't seem affected at all and some people are.

Hi Farber, yeah, I've seen this on your videos in the 109 and recently it was most pronounced in one of the videos that Lewis uploaded, in his spitfire.

I remember when I first started playing CloD (only flying the spitfire at that time) I spent weeks trying to sort out my joystick because I was so perturbed by the fact that the nose seemed to "bounce" (a great description of what is going on here!) around, particularly when I was pulling the trigger, or just about to. I've now seen this replicated in so many videos, that I'm sure it is a problem that everyone is experiencing, whether flying red or blue.

In defence of the game, there are some variables that need to be taken into account.

1. It seems (I cannot prove this) to be more pronounced at slower speeds for me. However, that's not to say it never happens at higher speeds.. I'm not sure if there is a relationships here.
2. This is going to be controversial... but.. let's not ignore pilot actions. I've worked really, really hard to try and stabilise my aircraft for engagement. I am very confident that many, many times I have inadvertently, or unintentionally moved a control surface because I'm trying so hard to keep the aircraft steady. This is exacerbated by the zoom-in feature. I don't want to be accused of saying that people are bad pilots though. What it would be nice to see, is an example of where the "bounce" occurs, but we can still see the control column in the video. What I would like to know is - does the nose bounce independently of the control column/ joystick, OR are the control surfaces moving too. - Most of your videos (I know all mine are) are at the zoom-in point when we fire, so we can't see what the joystick is doing.

SlipBall
Feb-21-2013, 06:07
exacerbated by the zoom...there in lies the problem, people should hold back on their firing until well under 100m

LG1.Farber
Feb-21-2013, 21:19
Its the joystick, when you reduce sensitivity it dampens it.