PDA

View Full Version : Smiting Them Hip & Thigh (new vid)

Oersted
Feb-21-2013, 03:24
Inspired by Snarglepuss' saying, that we hear so often online... :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlL_QaeLfw

Everybody who has played Cliffs of Dover has noticed that the damage model is one of the best features of the sim. On this mission I involuntarily ended up demonstrating that!

In WWII planes, the trim tabs and control surfaces were actuated with different control cables, so it quite often happens that you can no longer use a control surface, but you can still use the trim tab on that surface for small corrections. That is what happened to me, and it makes for a pretty hairy situation when trying to land.

The music for this video is made by my good friend Christophe Gibert who has a band called Pantin Rouge. Check them out here: http://www.myspace.com/pantinrouge

noxsphere
Feb-21-2013, 10:18
Fantastic movie dude :)
I enjoy watching your youtube channel everyday with a cup of coffee!
Keep up the good work, I will try to catch you up on ATAG server some day.
cheers!

Oersted
Feb-21-2013, 10:22
Thanks for the kind words, wauw :-)

We'll surely run into each other on the server...

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-21-2013, 10:43
Soren, your videos are getting better and better, mate. Well done! :thumbsup:

Ohms
Feb-21-2013, 10:59
That was great!!

Salute:salute:

ATAG_Septic
Feb-21-2013, 11:48
Great video! It's good to hear some original score too.

"Smite them hip and thigh" has inexplicably become part of my daily vocabulary now though, thanks Snargle!

Septic.

:)

Oersted
Feb-21-2013, 13:21
Glad you guys like it!

I'm getting some responses among my youtube comments that go like this:

"Trax El 2 hours ago
Nice Video.
But, in my opinion, without the music it would have been better...
Engine noises and cannons barking...
Just the same: keep up the good work."

"744captain 1 hour ago
I agree...we want to hear the simulation not somebody's music. If we wanted that we can turn on a CD...we are here to hear and watch/experience the simulation not go to a concert."

- What do you guys think about that? It won't really influence my movie making, because I more or less take the road that I myself feel like taking, but it would be interesting to hear if the opposition to background music is generalized...

I've done so many WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) Cliffs of Dover movies that I feel like going a bit more cinematic. Many new challenges: editing, viewpoints, cuts, telling a story, - All great fun as well as being things that develop my movie-making skills. It is way more trouble but also way more rewarding.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

ATAG_Septic
Feb-21-2013, 13:52
Glad you guys like it!

"Trax El 2 hours ago
Nice Video.

"744captain 1 hour ago
I agree...we want to hear the simulation not somebody's music. If we wanted that we can turn on a CD...we are here to hear and watch/experience the simulation not go to a concert."

- What do you guys think about that? It won't really influence my movie making, because I more or less take the road that I myself feel like taking, but it would be interesting to hear if the opposition to background music is generalized...

I've done so many WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) Cliffs of Dover movies that I feel like going a bit more cinematic. Many new challenges: editing, viewpoints, cuts, telling a story, - All great fun as well as being things that develop my movie-making skills. It is way more trouble but also way more rewarding.

I'd say continue creatively. If they wish to see the simulation rather than "... go to a concert" they can buy it.

Septic.

ATAG_Lolsav
Feb-21-2013, 14:24
As usual a pleasure to watch. Well done.

As for the music, i really think its up to you to decide to include ir or not. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Personally i think the music should be there to add something, to increase the emotion on what we are watching. But evryone is intitle to have a diffrent view on this.

Roblex
Feb-21-2013, 15:03
I always love your videos Soren. They are always so 'human' ie others carefully edit their videos to show how good they flew last night or to make some sort of Hollywood hero story but you show a normal pilot setting out on a days work with all his fears & doubts as well as his eagerness and courage and all his mistakes as well as his highlights. Keep 'em coming :-)

noxsphere
Feb-21-2013, 15:35
Oersted never listen to ANY of people's complains about the music.
Just never. I'm a composer, I know what I'm talking about.
I'm sure there are some people who would be just overwhelmed with some DJ Tiesto or Rihanna music in your video, LOL.
Keep up your own taste, without any doubt :)

Cheers!

Oersted
Feb-21-2013, 16:05
I always love your videos Soren. They are always so 'human' ie others carefully edit their videos to show how good they flew last night or to make some sort of Hollywood hero story but you show a normal pilot setting out on a days work with all his fears & doubts as well as his eagerness and courage and all his mistakes as well as his highlights. Keep 'em coming :-)

Thanks for those words, very happy you see it like this, because that is an important part of my videos. Quite often I get critique for not shooting straight enough or not having great situational awareness... - Well, my movies are not about that at all!

Oersted never listen to ANY of people's complains about the music.
Just never. I'm a composer, I know what I'm talking about.
I'm sure there are some people who would be just overwhelmed with some DJ Tiesto or Rihanna music in your video, LOL.
Keep up your own taste, without any doubt :)

Thanks, Dzinkuje or however you spell that in Polish!... - Composer? - Any background music I could use? :-)

ATAG_Colander
Feb-21-2013, 16:13

Which reminds me...
Some one needs to make the "Harlem shake - CLOD edition" :)

Muffin
Feb-21-2013, 16:31
Which reminds me...

I'm on it NOW!!!

Alice
Feb-21-2013, 17:32
I like your videos, and I like different videos for different reasons, so my advice to you is an extrapolation of noxsphere's: Do what YOU want to do in your videos. Sure, read the comments, accept constructive criticism as well as praise, but in the end YOU are putting in the time and effort. It is nice if people are pleased, like what they see, and get inspiration to also try their hand at movies or flying, but don't take negativity to heart. :thumbsup:

Muffin
Feb-21-2013, 17:58
Which reminds me...

I've done it my lord :D

ATAG_Headshot
Feb-21-2013, 18:22
Glad you guys like it!

"Trax El 2 hours ago
Nice Video.

"744captain 1 hour ago

Honestly I love your movies, and they are really getting better. Personally I like it with the music. You are taking a very cinematic touch with your newer work and to me at least the music really adds, not to mention that you are picking songs that really fit. I loved how you had video with the teamspeak recording as well as the external views, I may have to try work that in myself for future works. In the end make the movie you want to make and nuts to anyone else. If you are concerned with the comments you could always keep the music in but add the game sound as well so that people can still hear a little bit of the engine and guns, though sometimes the two don't mix well. I think it would add to have the recording of your own voice on the teamspeak as well instead of text for where you are talking, but that is just me.

The one critique that I would add is that when you are flying in the sim try to have your mouse cursor tucked away in a corner somewhere where it will not be visible. Every time you had the in flight cockpit shots I kept trying to move my mouse out of the way only to find out that it was not my mouse!

Amazing movie! Keep them coming and I can't wait to see the next one!

Oersted
Feb-21-2013, 19:04
Thanks Headshot! Yup, i'll definitely stick to my guns regarding what I want to do. Only possible way actually, because people always ask for diametrically opposite things...

Weird thing is, when I tuck my mouse cursor away in the corner while I fly it ends up about 1/3 inside the screen in the recording! - sounds weird, I know, but that's what I think is happening... - It is a bit sad that you cannot have it go away completely. Maybe only show when it moves. And also the "tool tips" (little white text box that pops up with the cursor) should be optional.

TheVino3
Feb-22-2013, 23:59
Always been a big fan of these videos Oersted!

In fact...if I remember correctly, it was one of your videos that really got me back into CloD after its disastrous release - so thank you for that!

Oersted
Feb-23-2013, 09:52
Very glad to hear that Vino... - CoD amply rewards those who have had a bit of patience with the sim.

Super6.1
Feb-23-2013, 09:55
Good video.
The damage model spitfire with external cameras is very good but if you look at the Bf109 is almost nothing I have done several videos and I notice that the 109 is the only thing broken is the radiator and when it burns nothing more, nothing of broken surfaces, no holes in the wings, etc.
With all this I mean when you record a track and you play with no external cameras flying the plane.

Old_Canuck
Feb-23-2013, 11:37
Very entertaining. During the entire vid. I wanted to pause and get a cup of tea but just stayed glued to the monitor until it was done. Regarding music etc. it's your creation .. you're the artist not a robot with external controls. Personally, I enjoyed the music. If I want to hear raw sounds I'll log onto ATAG server. :)

StormBat
Feb-23-2013, 12:18
That was very entertaining... I jumped out of my seat when the 109 was finally attacked after the attacks of the spit seemed to go on forever. Great video mate :thumbsup:

Oersted
Feb-23-2013, 14:18
Thanks for your lovely comments guys, it is very rewarding to hear and certainly spurs me on to make more!

True, I never saw big holes in the 109 wings... - Interesting.

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-23-2013, 17:19
VERY nice Friend ....

Doc
Feb-24-2013, 04:47
Great show! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DK_
Feb-25-2013, 11:41
Great video.

Reference the mouse, can you turn it off with F10?

Edit, watching your videos I noticed that you use the mouse control often so turning it off is probably a bother.

Sabre
Feb-25-2013, 15:21
Excellent video. I just found this site today as I'm looking to get into Cliffs of Dover. This video makes me want to try it even more. Great job.

As for music in videos. It's your time and effort and therefore you should do what you are comfortable with. Remember you can only please some of the people some of the time. Stay true to what feels right to you at the time.

Keep up with the videos, really super work.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-25-2013, 16:59
Welcome to Cliffs of Dover and this forum, Sabre! Be sure to grab Teamspeak and jump online on our server. Hope to see you over Dover soon! :thumbsup:

Sabre
Feb-25-2013, 17:39
Welcome to Cliffs of Dover and this forum, Sabre! Be sure to grab Teamspeak and jump online on our server. Hope to see you over Dover soon! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to try and get on Teamspeak and in the server. I fear I need all the help I can get.

Ariyan77
Jan-21-2024, 02:59
Always a delight to watch. Great job!

Regarding the music, the decision to include it or not is entirely yours, and it depends on the impact you aim for. In my opinion, (https://instaups.org/) music should enhance the emotional experience of the content. However, everyone is entitled to their own perspective on this matter. Keep up the good work!

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-21-2024, 07:28
Always a delight to watch. Great job!

Regarding the music, the decision to include it or not is entirely yours, and it depends on the impact you aim for. In my opinion, (https://instaups.org/) music should enhance the emotional experience of the content. However, everyone is entitled to their own perspective on this matter. Keep up the good work!

Welcome to the forum!

Amazingly your first post here is almost word-for-word the same as our good friend Lolsav’s post from almost 11 years ago. What a coincidence!!!! Great minds do think alike….

Cheers!